I have a dream. (and MAN was it wierd!)

SSgt Baloo

• 3 weeks later...

Dreamt that I returned to the mainland to check on the little boat I'd acquired the year prior.  It was still where I tied it up, near the lighthouse, and it was still in good shape.  But I was going to have to get someone to take care of it for me when I wasn't around.

• 2 weeks later...

In one dream, I was walking for several blocks to a school; I had was supposed to start a job as a substitute teacher. If the walk was a long one, at least I didn't have to make any turns. It was overcast and a little cold. As I neared the school, I noticed I was dressed very casually; I wasn't wearing my sports coat or even a dress shirt, just a T-shirt. Some of my colleagues go to work like that, so I hoped it wouldn't be an issue. I spoke with the principal about the job, and she grilled me about what subjects I could teach. I told her I could teach trigonometry, along with other math topics. Then she asked if I had any experience with "open ended polygons"; I said no. Then she told me I was unprepared for the job and yelled at me to get out. So I started to walk back home, not enjoying the long trip.

Last night's dream had me on a cruise ship. From my cabin I could see the swimming pool area. I was looking outside at night. I noticed two young girls, both pre-teens, trying to sleep inside the lifeboats. The girls were crying from the cold, and they huddled together for warmth. I found out they were orphans and were homeless. I felt sorry for them, so I started buying them food. Later, the ship was damaged, and we had to escape. I had to coax the girls into getting to safety. There was a group of men who were villains (maybe ghosts) nearby. A friend of mine distracted them by throwing some of his polyhedral dice on the floor. He did manage to retrieve his lucky d8. I finally got home, and I was telling someone I was planning to adopt the girls when I woke up.

I had a bunch of stress dreams all night. This one started out the same but changed.

I was in a bar or restaurant with some friends. Apparently, it was my birthday. After the event, I started to leave when I realized I wasn't wearing my jacket. So I went down a short flight of stairs. The men's room was there, and a bunch of 20-somethings were there. One guy was hiding near the door trying to sneak up on one of his friends. I went to another area where there was a cloak room, but my jacket wasn't there either. There were a few couples standing around; one couple was having a heated argument.

I went back to my original location. But the restaurant had turned into a hospital, a haunted one at that. I remembered being in this hospital before, and I may have heard a young girl's voice that time. This time, I didn't like the look of a certain hallway, so I took another corridor. I was halfway down the hall when I saw movement at the end. A gardening tool suddenly levitated and smashed itself against the wall. I knew it was the ghost. I panicked and ran down to the basement. The I realized my mistake: I should have run back to where I had come from, where the exit was. Now I may be trapped.

There was a large door in my way. I hoped it wasn't locked and tried to open it. Fortunately, it was unlocked, so went through. I was looking for the elevator and found it, but it was broken. There were two service elevators on the other side with large up/down lights. One was glowing red; the other glowed violet. I chose the latter. I was about to close the doors when I saw a man in a suit running down the stairs. He was probably also spooked by the ghost. I thought about holding the door open for him, but I couldn't find the right button. The doors closed, and the elevator started rising. I hadn't touched a single button to indicate which floor to stop. So I pressed the first floor button, then the second floor button. I may have already passed those floors considering the elevator's speed....

I have one common recurring type of dream.  Whenever one of my arms gets outside the blanket and gets cold my subconscious wakes me up by having me fall to my death or get murdered by some type of nightmarish horror.  I wake up with a start, realize my arm is cold, and bring it back under the blankets.

A more recent weird dream was after hitting the snooze on my alarm at 6:45.  I hear, "Good luck getting ready on time now.  It's 6:55."  I wake up with a start just as my alarm goes off at 6:55.  The voice?  Apparently my subconscious is getting lippy.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in an office building for some purpose I can't remember. After I concluded my business, I walked in the elevator. Some people went in with me, but others stayed out of the elevator. We got tired of waiting for them, so we let the elevator go. It went up a floor. The man beside me was surprised; we were supposed to go down. The man went down a short flight of stairs, and I followed him. But getting down to the ground floor turned out to be a very long flight of stairs, and I regretted not staying in the elevator. The stairs were long and dark and winding. I didn't feel very stable on these stairs, but by now there were too many people, and there was no going back.

I was watching a group of women running some charity organization. They were talking to another woman via Skype, but I only heard the audio. I finally saw the woman and realized she was a nun. The nun made some comment about men needing to be beaten up, and I was shocked by this announcement. One old woman took that suggestion to heart. An old man from another department showed up to ask a couple of questions. He looked like an old Mr. Whipple from the Charmin commercials. Just before he left, the old woman hit him with a plastic rod. Not too hard, but it was enough to annoy him. He protested, but she seemed offended by his protests. He left, but he kept egging her on through the door. I secretly thought he should quit while he was ahead.

I had been in an adjoining room, looking for something in the dark. I thanked the old woman and grabbed her hands so she wouldn't hit me as well. She was distracted by a coworker, so I decided to escape before she attacked me.

I led the survivors across the barren alien landscape to the location of the research colony.  Built into the red rock of a ravine, it was well hidden from the notice of the planet's native inhabitants.  Locating the main entrance behind a protrusion in the rock, I pressed my palm against the coded reader to gain entry.  Night was falling, and I didn't want us to be caught outside in the dark.

The interior of the facility was spacious, well appointed, and completely deserted.  Apart from the early 1980s design aesthetic, betraying the age of the colony, it seemed brand new.  There were no signs of a struggle or anything that might explain the absence of the scientists.  All three levels were almost suspiciously clean and neat, the way a hotel room is carefully arranged for incoming guests.  While my compatriots set about raiding the kitchens and enjoying the facilities, I signaled to my friend that we needed to start looking for the colony logs.  Inside, I was freaking out.  Nothing about this situation was right.

The colony had at least three levels--a subbasement workshop and a top level lab sandwiching a central living area.  That area included a fairly extensive video arcade, which was powered down.  My friend and I instantly realized that that arcade held the key to the outpost's secrets, and we needed to get it online right away.

In order to do that we had to sneak back out of the station through a side entrance and clamber down the outside of the rocky walls to get to an exterior power panel.  This was complicated by driving rain, darkness, and the threat of being discovered by roaming alien predators.  It seemed to take forever, but we made it to the service panel, hacked into it, and threw the breaker to turn on the arcade.  Then to reenter the outpost we had to locate a ventilation duct that got us into the subbasement.

By the time we got back up to the arcade, we found that the survivors had naturally gravitated to it.  I went to the Galaga machine that, by protocol, was actually the concealed main operating terminal for the station.  After patiently waiting my turn, so as not to arouse suspicion, I began to play.  After destroying several waves of aliens, I got my ship captured, which unlocked the station's log.

The log told me three things: that the aliens had infiltrated the original crew and kidnapped them, that the station had a number of hidden weapons and vehicles, and that the aliens would know if anyone entered the station and would arrive within a couple of hours.

And it had already been a couple of hours.

I rushed over to a side passage that had some shelving with 1980s memorabilia on it, just as one of the survivors amazedly began levitating that memorabilia with telekinesis.  I realized that enhanced psionic capability was a sure sign that the aliens were near.  I thumbed the hidden switch that opened a doorway to the hangar, and told my friend to get the escape shuttle ready while I went for the weapons.

I raced across the arcade to a Defender cabinet.  Shoving it aside, I revealed another doorway.  It had a series of glyphs and buttons on it meant to confuse alien intelligences but be simple for humans to understand.  I entered the sequence to open that door, and then again for the next door, and again, and again.  After perhaps the sixth of these puzzle doors swung open, a rack of combined alien/human technology weapons revealed itself.  I grabbed two, rushed back out into the arcade, and barked orders to the survivors to arm themselves.  We were going to have to fight our way off planet.

I was dreaming of knights with medieval weapons, particularly the warhammer and its design. I was watching a sparring match that took place inside a large hall. An aging knight and his squire teamed up against a short, stocky woman armed with a stick. The floor was slippery, and the knight fell at least once. The corner of the hall opened up to an icy wasteland. The woman said people could hire the native elves to help them cross safely.

The woman became an air elemental. I became an air elemental too, and we flew across the sky. We flew past a small dragon and swooped over a town.

I found myself in another world. Most of that world was enclosed inside a large building with a wooden interior. Travel mainly consisted of stepping through portals. A crossing guard used a pole to move a metal slab on the floor. The slab would align with a path leading to the requested destination, and then it would teleport the traveler.

By this time I had acquired a hand-held computer. It served as a guide, a light source, and (perhaps) a device that protected me from danger. I kept it with me throughout my travels.

I was at the crossing waiting for my turn. Ahead of me was a pretty Thai/Filipino woman around my age, maybe a little younger. I didn't know it at the time, but her name was Karla. I had previously seen her daughter, a beautiful young woman named Maria. I found Karla attractive, and I hoped I'd get to know her better.

When my turn at the crossing came, I had a short conversation with the crossing guard about role-playing games. I told him I enjoyed playing the Basic D&D game, and I would endorse it. The guard told me I should be careful about using that word, as it meant allegiance to a political faction in this world. Then I went on my way.

I must have spent some time in this world, as I had grown accustomed to it (I “fast-forwarded” a lot in this dream). I had even gotten a job as an astronomy teacher; my classes were considered challenging. I was walking to the planetarium where I usually held class. I briefly spoke with one of my students, a tall young man, before going on my way. Someone else was using the planetarium at this time. I entertained the thought of bringing my family here to show them my workplace.

I met Karla here. We had become close friends, although we weren't romantically involved despite our mutual attraction. My computer's batteries had run down, so Karla suggested using the crystals that were used as power sources in this world. They worked better than the AA cells I was using. There was a box containing these small crystals, and I took a couple for my computer. The crystals were small but powerful. Then I showed Karla a shelf where tiny glass bottles were appearing and disappearing. I explained these represented cats, who could teleport to and from the Moon. Karla found this comforting. She said it meant her cat, Gor, wasn't dead; he was on the Moon.

I was back home on Earth, talking to my sister. We were discussing fantasy TV show's series finale. One of the female characters had been killed in battle, but she was revived and transformed into an undead cyborg. While the woman's head and shoulders remained human, the rest of her body was transformed into a gigantic metal insect. She confronted the knight who had killed her, and he retreated into his castle. A few soldiers drove a huge sword into one of her front legs, but that didn't slow her down. She started eating the gate of the castle in order to enter it.

I found myself back in the alien world. I saw the world's leader. He was a heavy-set man with dark skin and close-cropped gray hair and beard. He seemed physically imposing, but he was quite serene and kind. He was talking to Cobra Commander and a couple of Cobra soldiers. None of them were wearing their helmets. Cobra Commander had gained some sort of mutation and wanted to return to normal. The leader allowed Cobra Commander to regain his human form but openly condemned his “violent tendencies.”

I was at the crossing. The metal slab pointed to a direction where there was no known path. The crossing guard was confused, so he called the leader over. The leader offered to accompany me to the portal. As we walked, the leader said he was also confused about this new direction. He said nothing like this had ever happened in this Age. I wondered if my destination was another Age that somehow connected with this one, but the leader discounted my theory. I didn't know where I was going, but I knew I had to go there; it was my destiny. The portal was a double door at the top of a short staircase of 2-3 steps. The leader wished me luck, and I went through the portal.

I found myself at the corner of a street. I knew I was back on Earth. A drunk hobo passed out behind me. I saw a small park across the street, where a man in a red robe chased a man in a blue robe. My quest was to seek advice from a wise man who was supposedly homeless. I hoped he didn't turn out to be hostile or insane. I crossed the street once traffic had cleared, walking uphill. Night fell quickly, so I used my computer as a flashlight. Three teenaged boys were walking on the other side of the street, and I heard them talking. One of the boys referred to me as “the guy with the lantern” (i.e. my computer). For some reason, he thought that I was the Devil! I was shocked and dismayed, but I ignored him.

I kept walking uphill and recognized the street I was in. I had often taken the bus down this route, and I had unpleasant memories of this street. I told my computer about my experiences, and it found my tale amusing. Someone in a gorilla suit was riding a bicycle down the hill, and I let my computer take a look. Maybe it recorded the event. Note: I suspect this stretch of road appeared in a previous dream.

Another fast-forward took place. I found myself back in the alien world the next day. I had no recollection of how my quest ended, but I felt that I had succeeded. I saw Karla's daughter, Maria, so I approached her. We started talking and decided to grab some lunch. We got our food and sat down to eat. A young boy had heard of my adventures and asked a few questions. I gave my reply and continued talking to Maria. She was surprised that I had gone to Earth, but I said I returned before morning. I now considered this new world as my home.

At this point I woke up. I realized I had to write down this dream while I still remembered the details.

I had a dream that my professor e-mailed me the data set from our most recent experimental trial and asked me to determine, and to justify mathematically, which samples needed to be retested at higher sensitivity.

• 1 month later...

I had a dream last night that I was at a conference, and I overheard some people at the next table talking about something called Squarebox. I asked them what it was, and one of them said, "It's totally cool. I went to one of their presentations and they gave me this awesome laptop bag. You should check it out." And yes, it was a really nice laptop bag with a blue and white logo that said Squarebox. But then they started talking about something else and never really told me what it was. 

From that point forward, my day was inundated with Squarebox. They had banners and signs and stickers and badges. They had pens and notebooks and stress toys and even Rubik's Cubes with the Squarebox logo in different colors on each side. There was an app (for Apple and Android) that you could download for the full Squarebox experience. There was even a social media campaign (follow @squarebox on Twitter!). It was everywhere.

So, I went to one of their presentations. It was about 20 minutes long and consisted of several attractive twenty-somethings talking about how revolutionary Squarebox was and how it had changed their lives. At the end, people were lined up at both exits, credit cards in hand, to sign up for it. 

In the midst of all this, I never learned what Squarebox actually was. Was it a product or a service? Software suite? Diet plan? Online community? Lifestyle brand? I had no idea, and neither did anyone else. But whatever it was, everyone had to have it.

If any of you end up having this dream and actually find out what Squarebox is, will you please tell me? I'd sure appreciate it.
#squarebox

26 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I had a dream last night that I was at a conference, and I overheard some people at the next table talking about something called Squarebox. I asked them what it was, and one of them said, "It's totally cool. I went to one of their presentations and they gave me this awesome laptop bag. You should check it out." And yes, it was a really nice laptop bag with a blue and white logo that said Squarebox. But then they started talking about something else and never really told me what it was. 

From that point forward, my day was inundated with Squarebox. They had banners and signs and stickers and badges. They had pens and notebooks and stress toys and even Rubik's Cubes with the Squarebox logo in different colors on each side. There was an app (for Apple and Android) that you could download for the full Squarebox experience. There was even a social media campaign (follow @squarebox on Twitter!). It was everywhere.

So, I went to one of their presentations. It was about 20 minutes long and consisted of several attractive twenty-somethings talking about how revolutionary Squarebox was and how it had changed their lives. At the end, people were lined up at both exits, credit cards in hand, to sign up for it. 

In the midst of all this, I never learned what Squarebox actually was. Was it a product or a service? Software suite? Diet plan? Online community? Lifestyle brand? I had no idea, and neither did anyone else. But whatever it was, everyone had to have it.

If any of you end up having this dream and actually find out what Squarebox is, will you please tell me? I'd sure appreciate it.
#squarebox

I would tell you, but I signed an NDA. 

I dreamed that I invented an app that helps your kids to fall asleep faster. It's a block matching game. Every time you match a set of blocks, your child gets sleepier. Match enough sets, and your child falls into a deep and uninterrupted sleep for 8 full hours.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just a spectator in this dream. The dream took place near a sewer. Someone told me cats fell in here, tried unsuccessfully to climb out, and were eaten by the alligators. Sure enough, a yellow cat ended up in this place. Two alligators came over and menaced the cat. The cat tried to run inside a pipe to escape, but the alligators blocked it. The cat started climbing the wall onto the roof, but the alligators could climb as well. Soon the alligators were also on the roof. The cat jumped onto a telephone pole, where the alligators couldn't reach it. The cat slid down to the ground and escaped.

This one is my sister's dream, but she allowed me to post it here:

My sister was working for Jim Henson's company. She was supposed to clean one of the vulture-like puppets from The Dark Crystal, so she took them outside. A teenager saw the puppets and got scared. Then he shot flames from his hands and burned the puppet. My sister trapped him in a force field and scolded him. "Are you crazy? Can't you see that's a puppet? You're lucky I know a time mage who can fix it!"