I have a dream. (and MAN was it wierd!)

SSgt Baloo

Re: I have a dream. (and MAN was it wierd!)

I dreamed that aliens from another dimension had arrived to invade Earth. A little girl knew how to stop them: if enough people played a specific chord on a small music synthesizer (that everyone just happened to have) it would banish the bad guys. Unfortunately, the badguys had already contacted a lot of people and convinced them that the chord would cause all reality to collapse and therefore, the police, military, etc. were after the girl and her family, who were trying to find some place where they could tune the synthesizers to the correct chord.

While concealed in a library, the authorities came in looking for the girl. She shut off her synthesizer and found out that they couldn't track her when it was turned off. The rest of her family left their synthesizers on and went off in different directions to confuse the search. Meanwhile, as the girl was leaving the library, she was buttonholed by some woman who was ecstatic that the aliens were here, and how they were going to make a heaven on earth. The girl knew different. She tried to explain how the aliens were going to use earthlings as a power source. The human reaction to pain, suffering, anguish, etc., generated energy the aliens could use (in retrospect, this sounds a lot like "scream" from Monsters, INC.). The woman could not believe the aliens would be so different from the way she wanted to believe, and I became so frustrated with the woman that I jumped into the dream and tried to get this hammer-headed woman to understand the amount of peril the Earth was in.

Fortunately, the X-men showed up (along with Thor and a few others from the Marvel Comics) and helped the girl to escape. Their plan was to take the girl someplace safe where they could create the musical chord and broadcast it worldwide.

Then I woke up. :mad: (Dammit! I wanted to see the rest of this movie!)

A new one from last night. I was Harry Potter and the two main bad-guy wizards (An older man and a suitably fatale-like woman) were plotting to kill me. I put a magic disguise on that made them think I was one of their assassins, snuck into their sanctum sanctorum, and tricked them, locking them into a closet. I then went to the part of the magical world where all the talking animals were (shades of Narnia!) to find my friend and ally, a 3-foot-tall talking mouse. I couldn't for the life of me remember his name, but I knew that it wasn't Reepicheep. The other talking animals told me he had gone on a mission against the bad wizards, but couldn't provide details. I helped them overthrow the guards that had been keeping them in line, then left to find out more details from the badguys.

When I opened the closet where I locked the badguys, I realized that I could magically make them allies by hugging them as they came out of the closet. I hugged the woman, but discovered that magically making her my ally also partially erased her memory, so she couldn't remember anything bad she'd done, nor anything she'd been planning. At that point, I drew a Colt M1911a1 and held it against the badguy wizard. At that point I realized this was a bit dark for Harry, so I stepped out of him, becoming me, and tried to talk him out of shooting the badguy. Harry caused the wounds that would appear if he pulled the trigger to manifest on his victim in an attempt to make him talk, but he refused to do so until Harry shot him. He then revealed that their assassins had reported they had killed Harry and burned the body.

While Harry started questioning where the bones were, I nipped out to the armory in the next room to grab a gun because I knew things were about to get violent and I couldn't do magic. We then went to a magic shop that specialized in bones. It turned out that the bones were actually those of a three-foot-tall mouse (still not named Reepicheep). Apparently, Harry's mouse friend had (presumably with magic) disguised himself as Harry to draw away the assassins.

I turned to see how Harry was had taken the news, but he had teleported away. I knew he was furious that his animal allies had allowed his mouse friend to go on such a dangerous mission, and I was afraid he'd kill some of them if I didn't get there quickly, tackle him and hold him down until he calmed down. I had just arrived at the talking animals' territory when I woke up.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I dreamed I was a Deputy in Mayberry. A local mad scientist had created a zombie assistant to help out in the lab, but it got lonely, broke out, and began seeking friends. It broke into the fix-it shop and struck terror into the people in the store, but it wasn't attacking anyone, but playing with the old radios. Finally, Andy Griffith (the sherrif) and I calmed down the people and got the zombie under control. We found it a job helping out at the school, as it was fond of (though not hungry for) children. The Mad Scientist was okay with this.

Last night I dreamed I was a Deputy in Mayberry. A local mad scientist had created a zombie assistant to help out in the lab' date=' but it got lonely, broke out, and began seeking friends. It broke into the fix-it shop and struck terror into the people in the store, but it wasn't attacking anyone, but playing with the old radios. Finally, Andy Griffith (the sherrif) and I calmed down the people and got the zombie under control. We found it a job helping out at the school, as it was fond of (though not hungry for) children. The Mad Scientist was okay with this.[/quote']

A mad scientist in Mayberry would be.

It's those out-of-town mad scientists you have to be careful of. They make unfriendly zombies and even worse things.

Lucius Alexander

And palindromedaries.

In my dream, I saw a Canine Corps police officer (with, oddly, long hair down to his waist - even in the dream that struck me as odd) retreating through woods from something his dogs had disturbed or aroused...I distinctly remmeber him stopping and making a broad "come on" gesture with his arm, probably commanding the dogs to retreat too. He was fast and graceful, I remember the way he leapt over a fence, then turned in a doorway to face what was coming. What was coming was a man, then it turned into something like a sabre toothed cat. Some kind of goop is projected out the door, hitting both but especially the lycanthrope, there's a retching sound, and I smell vomit - somehow I realize this is some kind of lycanthrope repellant. The shape changing threat backs up maybe a step, then rips something from the fence and attacks again with a metal rod that splits into two sharp prongs at one end (this was part of the fence??) wounding the officer but not badly. Then a kind of sharp high pitched sound begins, and this finally drives it off. Meanwhile, I've no idea where the dogs went - maybe the sabre tooth tiger ate them.

and this is just the part of the dream I decided to share.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that some of the rest of the dream was more intensely personal

I had a couple of dreams last night that I remember fairly clearly.

Dream 1:

I had attempted to assist a black friend to stand up for himself and demand fair treatment. The consequence of these actions, however, were unsettling. The man was returned to slavery (don't recall if it was nationwide or if they had just made an exception for this guy), and rendered blind. I can remember being apallingly guilty and kept telling him "my friends and I will save up and buy you so we can take care of you." In the dream, I remember thinking how stupid and patronizing that sounded, but I couldn't stop because I really wanted to make things right and could see no effective way to do so.

Dream two:

My mom and my sister were trying to set me up with one of my sister's friends. They were worried that I needed companionship and couldn't understand why I wasn't as concerned about this as they were. I kept trying to explain to them that I knew her friend wouldn't like me for who I was, but for what she could make of me. While I knew I needed love and affection, I was really getting sick of so much rejection and had decided that loneliness was the better option.

A few nights ago, I dreamed I somehow saved the world from a meteor somehow (I think I coordinated the effort to stop it). And I was thanked by the President, who looked like Donald Sutherland with short hair and a mustache.

Sifu didn't like me.

Of course it hadn't been my idea to seek him out in the first place. The meeting had been arranged by an associate of mine who was sort of a combination friend, employer, and customer. I was already known as one of the most deadly assassins on Earth, but gun combat was my forte; my associate had strongly hinted that I should bone up on my hand to hand. He pointed me toward the best martial arts master he knew, who ran his operation out of a luxury resort that he happened to own.

So I strode into the lobby of that luxury resort, well dressed but anonymously, for our prearranged meeting. It was a nice place, clean and well maintained for its age, though a little cheesy in the way that tropical resorts tend to be. I was in something of a hurry, because I knew that I was being followed. I didn't know who it was--agents from one of my former victims? Subordinates of the sifu, testing my abilities? In any event I had to hurry. I strode purposefully through the hallways, down the elevator, to the designated office. I gave the unattractive secretary there the code phrase, and she told me to head down to the restaurant on the back side of the resort. I'm afraid I was short with her, but I didn't want her to get killed, almost as badly as I didn't want me to get killed.

Taking a detour I headed further into the employee-only area of the hotel. They were close. I ducked into a side door that turned out to lead to a dimly lit storeroom. Perfect, except for the lack of exits. I waited, but not for long.

The first two burst through the doorway that I'd entered through. Ninjas, but the modern kind, the ones that wear black suits and sunglasses. Knives out, they advanced into the room as they squinted into the gloom; their eyes struggling to adjust after leaving the well-lit hallway. Stupid. Two brief bursts from my silenced MP5K submachinegun put them down.

I heard a noise behind me in the corner and spun around. Another one. How the hell did he get there? Well, he wasn't going to tell me, so I didn't bother asking. Another burst, another body.

That was all of them. I left the room and headed further down the hall, away from the secretary. The door at the end. A bathroom. Again, no exits. Wish I knew that ninja's trick. I climbed up on the counter and pushed up the ceiling tiles. There was enough space up here to hide, and it looked like the drop ceiling could hold my weight. But I didn't want to be cornered here for however long while law enforcement searched he hotel. Better to play innocent and go on with the meet. I walked back out, as quickly as possible without seeming like I was in a hurry, past the secretary. I did not make eye contact.

So I headed down to the restaurant. It was still pretty early, so the place was deserted. It was an open-air restaurant, ceiling fans, looking out over the well-manicured grounds. The sifu stood there, surveying his property. He was not happy with me. I still didn't know if it was because I'd whacked a few of his guys in his base, or if it was because I'd brought a few outsiders with me and whacked them in his base. Either way, the discussion was frosty, and brief. He didn't seem to want me on the premises let alone teach me his kung fu secrets. I shrugged, said something about us both needing time to think it over, and headed out into the grounds.

The place was kept up like a very nice oriental garden, but it fell steeply away from the building, like a rocky cliff. I practiced my escape and evasion techniques, bounding down the cliff face from ledge to ledge to gravel path. Pretty quickly I wound up at the bottom, where there was a nice little fish pond, but green, so I couldn't see any fish in it.

I sat down for a while to try and figure things out. Though I still had a bunch of unanswered questions, all the reasonable answers to those questions meant that this guy was going to be pissed off at me. I realized that there was probably no way to salvage this situation, so I headed back to the hotel to tell the sifu goodbye.

He met me in the lobby and, oddly enough, he was all smiles. Apparently he'd just gotten off the phone with my associate. He handed me a sheet of paper--a menu from the downstairs restaurant. What? I flipped it over. On the back, under the heading "donations", he'd written a bunch of (large) numbers with associated "belt levels". So the frostiness earlier was just because he didn't think he was going to get paid? I couldn't believe it. This guy was just running some sort of belt factory for world-class assassins. What a waste of time. Doing my best not to roll my eyes, I smiled and walked out, telling him I'd be in touch. But I was lying. I didn't have time for this guy. I had people to kill.

My dreams have been somewhat disjointed lately, but in the latest installment, I was at a military base when aliens attacked. I knew what sort of weapons they had and what their capabilities were, but no-one would believe me until I demonstrated how to avoid being blown away by their powerful bombs (get in the "blast-shadow" of some sturdy structure).

The aliens blew up our headquarters building (which I presumed meant they thought that would paralyze our military effort) and left to subdue the populace. I directed recovery efforts at the base, as we assembled high-tech weaponry and defenses from the materials at hand. Oddly, we were moving the parts around on a basewide rail system, but our weaponry was coming together and would prove a big surprise to the enemy. I wish I could tell you what happened next, but somehow my dream segued into a search for the Base eXchange (BX) where I could buy stuff that I needed. What stuff? I dunno, but I knew I needed it and could find it at the BX.

Giant Redwoods actually are.

So...does that mean any other tree could grow that big, if it could avoid burning down in the inevitable forest fires?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks nothing in the world needs to be fireproofed as much as people's jobs

• 2 weeks later...

I've had that "dream within a dream" phenomenon, but not lately. I've also had dreams when I'm in a place I had been in a previous dream. Those are pretty rare. But it gets really freaky when my dreams turn into musicals!

I woke from a disturbing long dream about being knocked out by gas then robbed. The robbers took my money and cards and filled my wallet with pamphlets' date=' leaving the wallet and purse.[/quote']

Sounds like low-tech televangelism. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

My last dream had a medieval setting. A young woman drank a potion. This caused a demonic entity to appear, which wanted to hunt her down and do unspeakable things to her. I knew no-one could face the demon and prevail, so I brought in the incredible Hulk and set him on the demon's trail. I had a god's-eye-view of the goings-on and when the demon got too close to anyone I reached down and moved them to a safer place. I kept having to move military patrols (archers, knights, etc.) away from the Hulk because they kept mistaking him for an ogre. Just before I woke up I managed to herd the Hulk into line-of-sight with the demonic thing. Presumably they fought, And I was confident the Hulk would tear the demon a new one.

I've found that in those cases where I am able to lucid dream, my control over the dream is limited by the fact that if I force it too much, I'll wake up. So in last night's chase dream, I began to suspect that I was in fact dreaming, then when a stairway changed after I looked away and back, I knew. So I willed a lightsaber into my hand and waited in ambush, but I really had to concentrate to keep the lightsaber on, and that woke me up. But not before I got one of my pursuers. Take that, loser who was spawned in my subconscious!

I've found that in those cases where I am able to lucid dream' date=' my control over the dream is limited by the fact that if I force it too much, I'll wake up. So in last night's chase dream, I began to suspect that I was in fact dreaming, then when a stairway changed after I looked away and back, I knew. So I willed a lightsaber into my hand and waited in ambush, but I really had to concentrate to keep the lightsaber on, and that woke me up. But not before I got one of my pursuers. Take that, loser who was spawned in my subconscious![/quote']

I used to be plagued with Godzilla dreams until the dream I turned into Ultraman and kicked the Big G's butt!

I dreamed I was bearing a star, and I didn't want it to fall. But I knew it wouldn't, and that I would never lose it.

In my dream, I had confidence in myself.

Lucius Alexander

Oddly, I seldom dream of palindromedaries