I have a dream. (and MAN was it wierd!)

SSgt Baloo

• 3 weeks later...

One of the dreams I had this morning (which was weird in itself because it was like three or four different things that kept changing when I realized I was dreaming) was walking around the trailer park and looking at my neighbors' places. I walked back to my trailer and thought I don't live in a trailer and woke up.

CES

I dreamt myself waking up on a bed topped with a thick and soft blanket. As I turned my head to the right, I saw open double glass doors leading to a veranda. The late morning sun spilled through the opening across a wooden floor while a gentle southern breeze caused white translucent curtains to slowly drift back and forth. Momentarily confused, I glanced down at the bed to see the sleek form of a sleeping woman with medium-length black hair and a delicate round face - Asian, yes, but of which nation? - wearing a silk negligee as she embraced the mattress.

The old office was a lot nicer than I remembered. The remodel had seen the painted cinderblock halls covered with fresh sheetrock, the offices rearranged to take full advantage of the floor to ceiling windows, and the main stairwell completely opened up and replaced with a modern floating metal design.  It saddened me to think what was about to happen to it all.

I spent the afternoon moving from floor to floor, saying hi and catching up on the latest news with my former coworkers.  For the most part they seemed happy, and appreciative that I would take the time to visit after having moved on and become so successful.  But that kind of success or failure was about to become irrelevant.

I checked my watch and realized that the onslaught was about to begin.  I readied my assault rifle as I descended the stairs.  I hated the sights, which were functional, but ugly.  I took up a position covering the entryway, firing through the new open design staircase.  I knew that when they came, they'd come fast.

And I was not disappointed.  The crowds rushed through the doorway at a dead run, and I had to rush my shots if I wanted to have a hope of stopping them before they reached me.  I dropped three in the first rank before I realized that the initial wave was made up of human shields, innocent civilians fleeing the brutality of the enemy.  I cursed myself for falling for such an obvious trick.  The terrified crowd fled out the side entrances, and I waited for the real enemy to show their faces.

They advanced at a steady walk, firing as they went.  They were slower than the civilians, and I dropped them at a steady pace with well aimed shots in the ornate masks that covered their faces.  But there were too many of them, and quickly I was forced to retreat up the stairwell as I reloaded.

We repeated this sequence a few times, me killing around thirty of their number then fleeing upstairs under a hail of return fire as I reloaded.  Before long I was drawing my last full magazine out of my pocket and I clearly hadn't even made a dent in the enemy force.  The only change was that the ones I was shooting now wore Cobra Commander-like full face chrome masks.  Which, fortunately, were clearly not bulletproof.

Knowing I had to make my last shots count, I left the stairwell and rushed down the hall of whatever floor I was on.  I knew that by now all my former coworkers, who would have been on lower floors, were dead.  I started taking fire from the stairwell and  was forced to dive through the nearst doorway.

Concealed in the corner behind a desk, I realized that I'd lost.  There was no other exit out of this office, and I was literally cornered.  But the desk seemed strangely familiar, and I realized it was my old desk, from when I'd worked here.  On a hunch I opened the lowest, file cabinet-sized drawer, and knocked away the thin layer of useless office supplies atop it.  Sure enough, the drawer was full of loaded magazines, just like I'd left it.  And I smiled.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A couple of enemies I had defeated were resurrected as zombies and were coming for revenge. I had an elevator in my room, and I took it to the fifth floor to warn my family. We could lock ourselves in to be safe. In the elevator, I realized that I had left my cats behind. I was concerned, but I knew they would be able to hide successfully.

My most recent dream was somewhat weird, but mostly cool.

There was this multi-level (two?) highway adjacent to what at first glance appeared to be a normal stretch of forest (in all actuality, it was quite primeval/untamed); right between the forest proper and the road was what looked to be a bog or some kind of small marsh. The entire area felt desolate, but that didn't stop my comrades and I from heading into the interface between civilization and the wilderness (apparently littered with derelicts) in search of loot. Yes...we were a group out of a fantasy roleplaying game that felt closer to an MMORPG in style than anything else. We'd primarily retrieve salvage and take it back to what I think was an outpost in order to turn over a profit.

During a return trip, this small flying dragon ambushed us on the uppermost level of the highway. Recognizing it as a variety that exhales icy air, I hurriedly cast a kind of "warmth spell" on a fellow adventurer that ended up completely absorbing the boreal blast.

I'm usually in for a wild time when I consume significant amounts of carbohydrates close to bedtime (i.e., pasta or pizza). Last night/this morning was no exception; I ate fairly decent frozen pizza and was subsequently treated to a duo of odd but still pleasing dreams.

In my first dream, I was at home and taking some measurements of furniture. As I grasped a ruler, someone was quietly summoned into existence: a redheaded female with soft features that looked to be a blend of several celebrities. I was momentarily taken aback before I realized (somehow) that she was a fully sentient and sapient anthropomorphic representation of mathematics (or at least one branch of mathematics). What's funny is that math has never been one of my strong suits, but she came across as knowledgeable (in the field she represented), generally intelligent and helpful. However, she was a bit clueless when it came to social interaction and basic elements of human psychology...as one might expect from a recently created human.

I was fascinated with this impossible being and she was eager to learn more about her new existence, so we left the house to explore the city. For whatever reason, we became separated. I would periodically call her on a cell phone to narrow down her location, but my efforts to get close would continually be frustrated. Along the way, I would meet residents that inevitably drew me into their side stories. The entire experience played out like a romantic adventure/drama (light on the drama, heavy on the adventure). All in all, the experience was a good sort of "weird".

---

My second dream was far shorter, yet still memorable.

I was inside this large shopping mall that was put under lockdown. There was this group - military in more casual wear or straight-up mercenaries - looking for me. The mall itself was filled to maybe a quarter capacity with fellow citizens that were trying to make the best of a bad situation: some people lounged about, others continued to try on clothing, a few tried different offerings at the food court, and so on and so forth. I don't recall talking to much of anybody.

My tactic was to duck into stores and head to the rear in hopes of finding employee/service backrooms that could lead me out of the structure. There was one point where I tried using spacious air ducts to move about unnoticed, but my pursuers were on the ball: I had to abandon that course of action when they started filling them up with foamy soap (yeah, you read that right). Ultimately, there was no real resolution to that confusing game of cat-and-mouse.

I had a dream early Saturday morning that I was teaching a class, but not in my classroom. The room I was in only had chalkboards, not the Smartboard that I'm used to, and most of the chalkboards were already filled with unrecognizable scribblings. I was presenting a problem to the class to solve, and I had to write the problem in pieces over several chalkboards before I finally got it all put up. Just as I did, the bell rang and class was over.

The really weird part? I was able to remember the problem in sufficient detail to use it as a basis for today's classes.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually had two weird dreams last night / this morning. In the first I was some kind of actuary / special agent tasked with investigating and apprehending people who were fraudulently collecting unemployment or disability. Since these confrontations almost always escalated, I always went with a partner (I had three different partners over the course of the dream, in fact). I handled the math and the paperwork, while my partners handled the fisticuffs and the gunplay.

In the second dream I went with some 15- or 16-year-old kid to a concert at a local school. We had just barely arrived when these two bullies decided to target us. I remembered these two from a previous dream, it turns out. I did everything I could to persuade them to direct their attention elsewhere, but to no avail. They verbally harassed us and even pushed us around a little, at which point I put one of them into a painful finger lock. This kept them away for a few minutes, but they were soon back with renewed determination. We managed to ditch them by using an exit they didn't know about (I had been to the school previously, as it turns out) and eventually we made our way to the performance. When the concert was over they made us aware that they were sitting right behind us. At this point I realized we were sitting with my extended family, so I introduced them to my brother-in-law and encouraged them to talk to him about the finer points of being a concealed carry permit holder. They got lost pretty quickly after that.