I have a dream. (and MAN was it wierd!)

SSgt Baloo

Re: I have a dream. (and MAN was it wierd!)

I dreamed last night that I had to take a class at a nearby university. I was having a lot of trouble finding the building I was looking for. But the interesting part is' date=' when I woke up it occurred to me that I have been slowly creating a "physical" geography in my dreams. I've dreamed of the roads that I was driving down, and the city that I was in, several times before (although they don't exist in the waking world).[/quote']

I have this. My dream geography is very specific, with repetitive themes. Recently I've been spending a lot of dream time on the college campus, and in my dorm suite. There's an evil person there, looks like a pudgy short guy, and the SOB is smarter than I am and way more evil. He set a strange sort of trap that would mean that I was the one who covered his tracks for him while I was searching for him. Brilliant little move, too.

But the geography is inflexible within its own weird rules.

You know how sometimes in your dreams you want to call someone on the phone, but you can't remember the number, or the keypad on the phone just doesn't look right, or you keep hitting the wrong numbers, or something else? So when you try to call you get a busy signal, or the wrong person picks up, or you can't make a call at all?

Recently, my loveleh bunneh wife showed me a trick on my cellphone to use one-button calling. Just hold down the "2" key and it automaticaly calls her number. So in this dream the other night, I'm trying to make a call and it's just getting more and more frustrating because I can't make it, and it dawns on me that I can just use the hotkey! So I hold down the "2" key (I couldn't dial a phone number, but I could at least find one button!) and in my dream my wife picked up the phone.

Modern cellphone technology for the dreamtime win! :bounce:

I have dreams that scare me to death. Not because what was in the dream was scary, so much as the realization that that kind of material is floating around in my subconscious. As it is, a pretty good percentage of the dreams I actually remember involve guns, and I've only ever fired real guns once.

I just remembered a dream I had years ago. The imagery was so weird, so please bear with me if my descriptions are vague or badly worded.

The dream had to do with the afterlife. Everyone who dies is reborn, not as a person, but as a long, rock-like object, like some asteroids, floating in an endless maze-like cavern. The cavern is dark, but there is a light that pulses throughout the cavern every few seconds. Every time the light pulses, a sound like a high-pitched, somewhat muted gong sounds. All the rocks are drawn to the light and float throughout the cavern in search of it.

Those who were good in life eventually find the source of the light. It is in a gigantic chamber in the center of the cavern. The light source is a gigantic cylinder, also rocky, but with windows from which the pulsing lights emanate. The floating rocks who find this cavern are aware of one another (they can see and hear), and they stare in awe at the cylinder for all eternity. For this chamber is Heaven and the cylinder that pulses with light is God.

What then is Hell? It is simply the fate of those who were evil in life to wander around the cavern hopelessly lost, always seeking the light but never finding it.

If nothing else, it's an interesting take on the afterlife.

• 2 weeks later...

My mood was as black as the night sky as I pulled into the parking lot at the abandoned school. The sodium streetlights cast everything in harsh orange and black. I pulled into a random space and killed the engine. Sitting in the abrupt silence, I wondered why I had come. I knew this girl was nothing but trouble; hell, I fantasized every single day about telling her off and somehow ejecting her from my life forever. But I never did--laziness, stupidity, doormat, I didn't know why. Now here I was, meeting her past midnight at her request. This wasn't going to end well.

Better to get it overwith, I thought. I stepped out into the chill night and headed to one of the school buildings. The place was deserted. I seriously had to consider that she might have something really sinister in mind for me--past experience had taught me that. I stayed alert as I headed down the hallway, looking for the right door.

Here. I turned the handle and pushed, half expecting some kind of ambush as the door swung open. Her 'posse' was waiting for me all right, but there was no ambush. Instead this bunch of teenage losers was sitting around an old table, sullenly playing cards. The room was dark and filthy, like the teens themselves. They looked at me. I met their gaze. "Back there," one of them said, jerking his head toward the back of the room. Wordlessly I went around the corner indicated. It occurred to me that they were between me and the doorway, and could even attack me from behind. I still didn't look back. Better not to show weakness.

The room was long, narrow, and even darker and filthier than the entryway. In the gloom it looked like it had been made into some kind of lounge once. I walked past the dance floor all the way to the back, where there was a raised area with old lounge booths. I climbed the stairs and waited in the dim light. I shook my head. This girl was all class.

A moment later a side door opened and she came through. That haughty stride was all too familiar. As she approached I idly thought she might have been attractive once--her short, curvaceous body, black curls, and expressive face, probably lost forever under all the piercings, spikes, leather, and hate. What a shame.

She walked right up to me, close, uncomfortably close. I stood my ground and held her gaze. "I'm here," I said. "What do you want?" I was ready for anything, or so I thought.

She said nothing, just staring hard at me with an intense, unreadable expression. Then, abruptly, she kissed me.

It was a fleeting kiss--just a peck, really, and she stepped back immediately. But now her brown eyes no longer showed anger and contempt. They showed hope, and fear, and pleading. And in that instant I realized that I hadn't been dealing with a cruel and hateful girl all this time, but a vulnerable one fighting to maintain her defenses--and finally surrendering.

That sacrifice, on her part, changed everything. I stepped forward, then, pulled her close, and returned the kiss. Her lip spikes pushed painfully into my chin, but past them, her mouth was warm, and soft, and welcoming. Before long I felt her hands at my belt buckle, and I responded by unzipping her jacket. Under it she wore nothing, and she gasped slightly as I found her breasts, full and warm beneath the thick leather and chains.

She yanked my shirt open then, pushing me backward until I fell back on the couch; the time had come to consummate our ceasefire. Lifting her skirt, she straddled

I have dreams that scare me to death. Not because what was in the dream was scary' date=' so much as the realization that that kind of material is floating around in my subconscious. As it is, a pretty good percentage of the dreams I actually remember involve guns, and I've only ever fired real guns once.[/quote']

Have guns in my dreams all the time.....and swords.

Mostly I like going hand to hand in my dreams though. (and out of dream world have punched the wall in my sleep, simultaneously)

I am often thin in my dreams. I look in a mirror and I'm absolutely beautiful. Last night I dreamed I looked stunning in a beautiful' date=' very complex costume.[/quote']

I seem to just always be like I was in my 20s. That doesnt include beautiful (or likely even average looking to be honest).

I seem to be without my beard in my dreams though. Which I dont like because I want to be the villain in my dreams.:sneaky:

I have dreams where I'm trying to call OddHat or my Mom for help and I just can't. It's very scary and upsetting.

Phones have never played a part in my dreams ever (until last night, wierdly). But, I intensely hate the things in real life.

Last night, I was evidently in the front passenger seat of a car. 4 of us (2 in back). Suddenly, the driver went crazy. Driving about 100. Police chase ensued. I finally figured out how to immobilize leading to a crash into a wooded area. We all survived until one police car crashed right on my side. I thought I somehow escaped but eventually realized I was a ghost. I finally realized that what had happened to the guy driving (who I somehow knew went to prison) was that some hermit guy who lived in the those woods that we crashed in who posed as some kind of rural preacher but in fact was some kind of voodoo practicing demon moonshiner had telepathically possessed the driver. I tried to figure out some way to kill him but had no power.

Somehow, 20 years had passed. And one of those crazy ghost hunter groups you see on TV, had decided to investigate the place. They were interviewing this "guy" (who despite being old 20 years ago seemed to have not changed, and no one had noticed that fact). Someway, I discovered I could absorb energy from their equipment. Suddenly, I had this glowing sword in my hand. (like a lightsaber except no handle just all light) and I stabbed him in the back through his heart (supposedly before and after the incident that killed me, he had killed others, including a little girl whose spirit I seemed to be trying to protect.

Back to the living, this evil man had a heart attack and died. Shocking the film crew. I seemed to be trying to tell them that I did it because he was evil (as they called 911 on the cellphone). When I woke up.

Note: I forgot to mention that the place I was killed was within sight of an abondoned factory (that looked similar but not exactly like an amalgam of 2 factories that had been torn down 15 years ago in my hometown, adding a little to the eeriness of the dream)

I just had a lucid dream. I was looking at a document, but instead of reading it, was focused on the gray discolorations on the paper. I was thinking how amazing it was that I was dreaming in that level of detail.

Old Man, you should write erotica.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary observes that Old Man apparently IS writing erotica

The first entry below was written on the Friday before thanksgiving

Friday morning I dreamed I lost my cellphone and my wallet. My friends were going to look for them while I stayed near a landline so they could let me know what they came up with. The police came by and took me in for questioning, and I was worried that I might be in some kind of trouble. Instead, they showed me printouts of my own online writings and wanted to recruit me as a freelance superhero. They got Batman (Adam West, in this case) to mentor me, and supplied me with a computer, a “supercar” (actually a converted 1959 Cadillac Ambulance with lots of extra lights, buttons and levers on the dashboard) and a garage to use as my secret lair. In the dream, my dad was still living and trying to get me to find a “real” job.I explained that I wasn't wasting my time and that I had been recruited by the police to perform a valuable public service and I would appreciate it if he would stop trying to judge my success or failure without knowing (or even being privy to) the facts.

Later, I was helping rescue people stranded in a prehistoric world. There were giant crocodiles (Deinosuchus) everywhere. They were about 50 feet long (15 meters?), and the babies that were hatching out were as large as adult alligators. Fortunately I arrived in time and we (there were other superheroes with me) were able to rescue the innocent victims. One guy got eaten by a giant crocodile, but it was his own fault. He was the guy who mounted the expedition without telling anyone of the dangers involved. He figured the Crocodiles would be busy eating the other guys so he would be free to find the Lost Treasure. He was evading our attempts to rescue him because he “knew” there was treasure there and thought we were just trying to cheat him out of it and walked right into the mouth of a huge crocodile.

Sunday I dreamed that I had time-travelled to WWII ( actually, it felt like one of those war-era comedy/propaganda movies). I was a civilian helping out with a large-scale military exercise. What my duties were was unclear. Secretly, I was a superhero with the powers of the Red-Blue Blur from Smallville (The Superhero Whose Name Must Not be Spoken). I was surreptitiously helping the blue forces against the red team (IIRC, the smaller Blue team represents US, while the larger Red team represents THEM). Some Axis agents dressed as Red team forces had surrounded part of the Blue Team and were going to kill them to sow confusion and dismay. I went into action and as the Axis agents began firing I was able to see the bullets coming out of their gunbarrels and swatted them aside, rescuing the blue team.

...I'd post more if I remembered my dreams better. The first one involved some stellar empires and conniving nobles contriving a war with aliens - Aliens who turned out to be both unprepared for war and have single worlds with the population of all of the human stellar empires. I also got the impression that the stellar empires were refugees. So, overall, it would have been a lot worse if someone hadn't managed to negociate a peace treaty and depose the conniving nobles (also leveraged himself into the position of emperor). I think I was some sort of Watcher-type, because I could go here and there and look at whole pictures, but never interfered.

I don't really remember the second one, except it was surreal and ended somewhere in Castle Perilous watching canon events.

I had a Lulu last night into this morning.

I was a Wizard, kinda like an adult Harry Potter who had to go away on this space ship with all the other Wizards. Despite being an adult I was a Student and the others were Teachers. First a Teacher had me put gloves on and handed me a torch he was going to light. I pointed out the gloves were full of holes. I was supposed to do a little dance someone was showing me to get on the space ship but all I could do was cry because I didn't want to never see OddHat again. There he was, sitting in the corner and I was crying. Suddenly all the Teachers and other Student's disappeared and I was teleported to the evil Wizard's ship. There my arch-nemesis was a tall, dark and handsome Wizard in blue and silver robes who was young enough to be my Son. He was a Serial Killer who seduced women and killed them during the act. He tried to set a trap for me, which I avoided. His best friend tried to lead me down a pitch dark corridor where I just said a magic word and my eyes lit up and I could see. Towards the end of the dream I found a giant outdoor bench/swing hanging from a tree where I figured I could relax and get away from the evil Wizard for a while. I knew I had to kill the evil Wizard and I wanted to see OddHat again badly. That's about when I woke up.

Old Man, you should write erotica.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary observes that Old Man apparently IS writing erotica

I actually had that dream like a year ago. I sort of didn't want to post it, but for some reason I keep thinking about it. My dreams aren't usually that emotional.

I dreamed I was a colonel who was going to take command of a large space station. I was also married to a former coworker, who was also going to be my second in command at the station. The space shuttle Atlantis was going to take us there and would serve as our command ship.

I had an unusually vivid one that was Star Trek themed, set on the Enterprise of the 2nd to 3rd movie era. I think Kirk and Spock were in it to some degree, but as I was one of the peons among the crew I mostly interacted with random crew members who didn't correspond to the fictional characters. It had a kind of Shadow Over Innsmouth vibe, with something weird slowly happening to alter people and make them into something alien within.

• 3 weeks later...

It was the distant future. Mankind had just mastered interstellar travel. To meet our ever-growing energy needs, we had created a massive starship that was to travel to young stars, drain away their stellar mass, and bring the huge mini-sun (contained in an enormous magnetic field) back to Earth.

But something went wrong. When the ship warped back to our system, it mis-calculated. It reappeared within Earth's atmosphere. The ship could not handle the stress and started to break up. The captain attempted to force the ship back up out of the atmosphere, but it was too late. In his final effort, he ditched the ship in the middle of the Atlantic ocean.

The magnetic fields holding the tiny star in check were breached. The explosion instantly evaporated a hole in the ocean about the size of Texas. The shockwave created a tidal wave hundreds of feet high, moving at nearly the speed of sound. The entire eastern seaboard of North America, the entire western side of Europe, and big chunks of Africa and South America were drowned before anyone even knew what was happening.

They may have been the lucky ones. This was humanity's end. Radiation, fallout, and massively disrupted weather patterns from the explosion quickly killed off those who had survived the initial devestation.

It was humanity's end, but it was not the end of everything. Our children, the robots and AIs that we built to serve us, continued on. They mourned us, in their fashion, and continued the great works that we had begun. We created them in our image, to be like us in every way but one: They lacked our killer instincts. Mankind had finally achieved lasting peace, through those who came after us.

And they followed in our footsteps, heading out into the stars, the final great migration that we had almost attained, the dream of exploring the stars, would finally be realized. And they spread out into the universe, and explored, and cataloged, and saw wonders undreamt of.

And then they ran into another sentient race. The universe was not so empty as we had thought. A small system on the edge of a massive black hole. They were not as technologically advanced as the AIs, no, but they were smart... and worse, they had that killer instinct that our machine children didn't have. The first envoys to land on their planet were murdered, their ships were disassembled and reverse-engineered, and the AIs found themselves at war.

It was a war that they didn't understand, that they didn't know how to fight, and that they could not win. So they bent their amazing intellects to a new task. They could not bring humanity back from extinction... but they could reach backwards through time and pluck humans from the past, bringing with them that fighting spirit lost so long ago. These ancient humans would lead the AIs, guide them to victory over their foe.

And I was the first person they found...

It was the distant future. Mankind had just mastered interstellar travel. To meet our ever-growing energy needs, we had created a massive starship that was to travel to young stars, drain away their stellar mass, and bring the huge mini-sun (contained in an enormous magnetic field) back to Earth.

But something went wrong. When the ship warped back to our system, it mis-calculated. It reappeared within Earth's atmosphere. The ship could not handle the stress and started to break up. The captain attempted to force the ship back up out of the atmosphere, but it was too late. In his final effort, he ditched the ship in the middle of the Atlantic ocean.

The magnetic fields holding the tiny star in check were breached. The explosion instantly evaporated a hole in the ocean about the size of Texas. The shockwave created a tidal wave hundreds of feet high, moving at nearly the speed of sound. The entire eastern seaboard of North America, the entire western side of Europe, and big chunks of Africa and South America were drowned before anyone even knew what was happening.

They may have been the lucky ones. This was humanity's end. Radiation, fallout, and massively disrupted weather patterns from the explosion quickly killed off those who had survived the initial devestation.

It was humanity's end, but it was not the end of everything. Our children, the robots and AIs that we built to serve us, continued on. They mourned us, in their fashion, and continued the great works that we had begun. We created them in our image, to be like us in every way but one: They lacked our killer instincts. Mankind had finally achieved lasting peace, through those who came after us.

And they followed in our footsteps, heading out into the stars, the final great migration that we had almost attained, the dream of exploring the stars, would finally be realized. And they spread out into the universe, and explored, and cataloged, and saw wonders undreamt of.

And then they ran into another sentient race. The universe was not so empty as we had thought. A small system on the edge of a massive black hole. They were not as technologically advanced as the AIs, no, but they were smart... and worse, they had that killer instinct that our machine children didn't have. The first envoys to land on their planet were murdered, their ships were disassembled and reverse-engineered, and the AIs found themselves at war.

It was a war that they didn't understand, that they didn't know how to fight, and that they could not win. So they bent their amazing intellects to a new task. They could not bring humanity back from extinction... but they could reach backwards through time and pluck humans from the past, bringing with them that fighting spirit lost so long ago. These ancient humans would lead the AIs, guide them to victory over their foe.

And I was the first person they found...

That would be a freakin' amazing book! "Must spread rep..", etc.