I have a dream. (and MAN was it wierd!)

SSgt Baloo

Re: I have a dream. (and MAN was it wierd!)

Dreamt that I was working as some kind of network tech, going from building to building replacing old routers. Anytime I unplugged an old dusty router, the ghosts that were haunting it would emerge. These took the form of very transparent skulls, like x-rays floating in the air. I would have to grab them with my hands, which somehow worked even though I couldn't feel them, and stuff them in a bag. This all happened in broad daylight with people walking around, so I guess it wasn't out of the ordinary.

I don't typically remember dreams, and when i do the detail is faulty.

I did however have a dream night before last where my aunt was getting married. Her husband-to-be brought his close friend, Shakira, to the wedding, who performed. I have NO idea what that was all about; I've been trying to piece the symbolism together given current family events and can come up with nothing.

What's worse, I did not get to hit on Shakira.

I dreamed I was aboard the (Next Generation) Enterprise. They were investigating a planet that was identical with 20th century Earth, right down to the nations and borders. It's true! From space I could see Laos printed in big black letters across that country. The borders were solid black lines also visible from space.

For some reason, the artificial gravity polarization reversed in close proximity to this world, and the Enterprise had been refit so the ceilings (oops! I mean overheads – sorry, Navy guys!) could serve as decks when this happened. Data was going to be the only person to go down to the planet. There were a lot of extra personnel in the transporter room when Data was ready to go.

Several of these extra people were time travelers who wanted to change history. Others were from time-lines where the first set of time travelers had been successful and were trying to stop the first bunch. There were recursive groups of time travellers all over the room trying to ensure or prevent “their” timeline did or didn't happen. Finally, the Enterprise crew subdued the time travellers and Data proceeded with his mission. I suspect Picard was not in command because otherwise the rest of the dream would have devolved into a discussion of the ethical ramifications of changing/preserving/interfering with history. ;)

When Data transported down, I immediately recognized that a large temple-like structure visible in the distance was actually constructed from the wreckage of Babylon 5. There weren't just Earthlings, but also a lot of Minbari. We snuck in close to the temple and I overheard someone saying that there was no danger that the orbiting vessel (the Enterprise) or its landing parties would see anything, since they had shifted their frequencies and were effectively invisible. I relayed this information to Data and he rolled his eyes up into his head, bringing a different set of lenses to bear that could sense the people and structures there. We walked around the settlement gathering information and I was trying to spot a restaurant because I was getting shaky with hunger (something that happens to me IRL). I disguised myself as a dog because we knew that the B-5 people knew the Enterprise wouldn't send a pet down with a landing party. We found a restaurant where I could get food (Data explained that I was his service dog so it was okay for me to come in) and were really lucky because after we sat down, the B-5 command crowd came in and started discussing their plans. They weren't sinister plans, just secret.

• 3 weeks later...

I was not in this dream. A married couple and their adolescent daughter escape from Krakow in the 1920s. They are Jewish, and their refugee travels for whatever reason leave them hiding and stranded in a village in the mountains of Nepal. They are safe from the rest of the world, but bereft utterly of their own culture. They have to learn the language and culture, while clinging as closely as possible to their own traditions and identities.

The man is a cobbler, making European work shoes for a people who have never worn anything like them, who have never seen anything like him, who have never heard of anything like him. He keeps his traditions as closely as he can, and finds companionship if not friendship from another man who lives on societies fringes. The other man is a widower, and a drunkard, a Nepalese Mr. Edwards.

The woman is a housewife, and she must learn to cook and keep house and go to market in a radically different culture. After some early gaffes she makes some friends with the local women, and finds herself embracing the local culture more cheerfully than her hidebound husband.

The daughter is a girl in her early teens. She is largely ostracized by her peer group. She flirts with the Chief's son, who is charming and handsome and not villainous in the least.

Then I wake up. WTH?

I was not in this dream. A married couple and their adolescent daughter escape from Krakow in the 1920s. They are Jewish, and their refugee travels for whatever reason leave them hiding and stranded in a village in the mountains of Nepal. They are safe from the rest of the world, but bereft utterly of their own culture. They have to learn the language and culture, while clinging as closely as possible to their own traditions and identities.

The man is a cobbler, making European work shoes for a people who have never worn anything like them, who have never seen anything like him, who have never heard of anything like him. He keeps his traditions as closely as he can, and finds companionship if not friendship from another man who lives on societies fringes. The other man is a widower, and a drunkard, a Nepalese Mr. Edwards.

The woman is a housewife, and she must learn to cook and keep house and go to market in a radically different culture. After some early gaffes she makes some friends with the local women, and finds herself embracing the local culture more cheerfully than her hidebound husband.

The daughter is a girl in her early teens. She is largely ostracized by her peer group. She flirts with the Chief's son, who is charming and handsome and not villainous in the least.

Then I wake up. WTH?

Obviously, your brain was set on "The Sound of Music" that night, heh.

I had a dream about a soldier. He was dressed in a 19th-century uniform, possibly Prussian. He had either been captured by the enemy or discovered as a spy and was sentenced to be hanged. He cried silently before the execution, but he otherwise faced death with courage and dignity. I felt very sad for this man. He served his country nobly and paid the ultimate price for it.

For some time now, what I think of as "the lightweight games" - my card games like Munchkin, and the Pyramids from Looney Labs, and that kind of thing - have been missing. Last I remembered they were packed in a duffel bag in the car for a fun night with a hot gaming chick. But I've searched several times and they were not in the car and I only own so many duffel bags and none of them had the games.

Then last night I had a dream in which I was with that very same hot gamer girl and we're talking about packing up to move or something and she mentions wanting to keep the quick and easy to play games, along with dice, very accessible. "You mean the light games?" I ask, "The ones that have been missing for weeks? Okay, I'll take one more look and try to find them." I seem to remember, in the dream, that she was exasperated with me for losing the games.

I woke up with the dream strongly in my mind. I was determined to search the house. They weren't in the first room I checked, but in the second - a kind of utility closet where the hot water heater is - I found the games in a plastic bag, in a cardboard box.

I'll try not to lose track of them again.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary didn't eat them after all!

I didn't know the man, but I held his hand as he died. I didn't have a cell phone, and we were alone on the street. Nobody responded to my shouts to call 911, so I sat by this stranger and listened to him babble as he died.

I had been walking down an unfamiliar street, when the silent car passed me. I hadn't heard a thing, and apparently neither did the guy walking on the other side of the street. He suddenly turned, just as someone inside the car opened fire. It peeled out, turned the next corner, and was gone. I ran across the street, shouting for someone to call 911, and found the man laying on the ground wheezing. He reached out and grabbed my hand, pulling me down to the sidewalk. Maybe a bullet hit something tied to speech, or maybe he was just weak, but I couldn't understand his whispery babble.

So I just sat there and held his hand as he died.

Dont know if I mentioned this one. But, I did have a dream where Slash from Guns N' Roses was some kind of werewolf/vampire hunter.

Maybe I should create a character sometime like that.:sneaky:

How could you not? The hat alone should be a character.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in a foreign country talking to someone about how Palestinian terrorists were routinely airdropped into Israel to perform nuisance raids. Just then, as if to demonstrate, several “supersonic” bombers resembling the XB-70 flew overhead, dropping huge boxes that floated down by parachute.

The nearest box struck the top of a nearby building, cartwheeling to the ground below, where it broke open, revealing its payload: a truckload of terrorists. They were, however, less than terrifying. They scrambled around trying to pick up all the equipment they had dropped when their box broke open, then tried to pile back into their truck, with everyone getting in each others' way, dropping equipment, tripping over the dropped equipment and the terrorists bending over to pick up the dropped equipment.

I turned to my companion and remarked: “Those aren't terrorists. They're the Keystone Cops!” (Quite unusual for me, since my dreams are usually wordless.)

They finally got into the truck with all their gear and their “terrorist act” was to spray a slippery, soapy substance on a steep street, so vehicles couldn't use it.

One “scooter” tried to go up the street but couldn't make it. I looked at it closely and saw it was powered by an old-school Volkswagen H-4 air-cooled boxer motor.

I got on my own scooter/motorcycle and went up the street using the un-sprayed sidewalk. When I got to the top of the street, I noticed that the intersection was set up to handle traffic driving on the left. From this clue, I knew I must be in London, and began driving on the “correct” (left) side of the street.

I went to a youth hangout and discovered that instead of stairs, they had ladders, so rather than go inside, I went “home”.

Apparently I was in England as part of my military service, and only remembered that fact just then. I was worried that I might get in trouble for failure to report when I decided it was time for lunch. We went to an English fast-food restaurant and I couldn't recognize anything on the menu. Everything was from another culture but I wanted fish and chips. I had just discovered something on the menu that might be fish and chips and was going to ask the server if that's what it was when I woke up.

Last night, I dreamed that we were at the airport waiting in line for our security check. Lady Pariah had gone to the restroom, so I was holding Baby Pariah. I noticed that J. Michael Straczynski was standing in line next to us. He introduced himself, and we chatted for a few minutes. He, like most strangers we seem to meet, commented on how cute Baby Pariah was, and I thanked him. Then he asked permission to use her in a story he was writing.

I felt very flattered . . . and then I remembered that in Babylon 5, cute kids invariably end up dead at the end of the episode.

So I told him no.

Nightmare.

There was an investigation, a search for someone missing. I was with two men older than I, searching for a missing man, younger than me. Eventually a large lid was lifted off of something like a cistern or well, but next to a dock - an isolated part of a pond, perhaps. I was nervous - quite frightened, standing back, unable to speak. The older of the two men agitated the water in the cistern with a long handled instrument of some sort - maybe a net? I'm terrified. Body parts, bones linked by ligaments, an egg-drop soup of tissue, floated to the surface. Up floated faces, the front halves of four different heads, all face up, in different stages of decay. The men are screaming, one of the is crying to the sky for his son, whose partial spine and a few ribs have floated up along with part of a somewhat filleted hip bone and femur joint. I stand back, silent and terrified. Terrified that they will discover that it was me.

(It is now 2:30, and I'll be damned if I want to go to sleep.)

Nightmare.

There was an investigation, a search for someone missing. I was with two men older than I, searching for a missing man, younger than me. Eventually a large lid was lifted off of something like a cistern or well, but next to a dock - an isolated part of a pond, perhaps. I was nervous - quite frightened, standing back, unable to speak. The older of the two men agitated the water in the cistern with a long handled instrument of some sort - maybe a net? I'm terrified. Body parts, bones linked by ligaments, an egg-drop soup of tissue, floated to the surface. Up floated faces, the front halves of four different heads, all face up, in different stages of decay. The men are screaming, one of the is crying to the sky for his son, whose partial spine and a few ribs have floated up along with part of a somewhat filleted hip bone and femur joint. I stand back, silent and terrified. Terrified that they will discover that it was me.

(It is now 2:30, and I'll be damned if I want to go to sleep.)

Yeesh, those can stay with you. I had a dream about my seeing my late cat, and before being able to even move to help him the person who had him somehow turned him inside out (still living for a few seconds). I was so messed up the next 2 days, I moved around just going through the motions at work. I practically felt like I was somewhere being life and death for those 2 days (only way to describe it). Just couldnt shake it out of my head.

A few weeks ago, I dreamed I accidentally killed someone. I got all my friends to help cover it up, but we were planning to take it on the lam, when it suddenly occured to me that I was dreaming. One of my friends was distraught over being part of the cover-up, so I explained to him that he'd be alright, since it was only a dream. That cheered him right up.

I was playing a game. It was a 2D landscape strategy game. You started with a couple of cavemen and, by fending off monsters and earning money, you could upgrade your units and convince more to join you, such as wizards, barbarians or various others, one of which could eventually build a DoomCannon capable of fending off the dragon. You could also buy buildings, and your units, if sufficiently impressed with your burgeoning kingdom, would also build some. Power levels were exponential. There was a helpful "radar map" showing terrain, enemies and friendlies.

I didn't get to see what would happen if you beat the dragon.

I don't remember the beginning part of this dream, but I wound up on a tour bus with the rest of the college kids on our way to try out a new Star Wars themed resort. We pulled up at a beautiful Caribbean beach. Piling out of the bus, we could see the resort out ahead of us, about 1/4 of a mile out across the water. We put on our scuba gear, wondering if we were supposed to swim all that way. The bus driver/tour guide/lifeguard had us all line up along the water, then dive in on cue. Immediately we were all pushed by the Force across that 1/4 mile of water. It was such a powerful and exciting rush that as we landed I locked eyes with the pretty girl next to me and knew that I was wearing the same silly grin she was. In an instant she was gone, up the ramp to grab some of the Star Wars themed toys that awaited us--innertubes, rafts, kayaks, even jet skis. I picked out a set of Anakin scuba gear--mainly because it was scuba gear, not because I cared for the dark-gray-and-purple color scheme--and put it on. I flapped down to the bottom of the ramp and rolled into the crystal clear, sandy-bottomed water. I picked a random direction and started swimming. Some guy surfed over the top of me on an A-wing colored board; I grabbed its edge and playfully flipped him into the water. It was going to be an incredible vacation.

A few weeks ago' date=' I dreamed I accidentally killed someone. I got all my friends to help cover it up, but we were planning to take it on the lam, when it suddenly occured to me that I was dreaming. One of my friends was distraught over being part of the cover-up, so I explained to him that he'd be alright, since it was only a dream. That cheered him right up.[/quote']

I've had plenty of dreams where I was running from the law, had one where my partners in crime were Uncle Jesse from the old Dukes of Hazzard show and either rapper Ice Cube or Mr. T (Both of them have been in wierd dreams of mine but I cant remember which is which for this one, seems like Mr. T though). We were trying to get to Mexico before the law got us (how since we started from my hometown in VA I'll never know.

I took a wrong turn at one point and got cornered by the police, so somehow I rewound the scene so I could take the other turn and get away.

Come to think of it ever since I saw the Disney Headless Horseman cartoon when I was little. The Headless Horseman has been a recurring nightmare. When I was little, I had only the option to attempt to outrun the horse (good luck with that). But, the last 3-4 years (since I have turned 18, I only have it about 1 or 2 times a year) I have been able to fight back in some form.

It seems to start out with the rule being the Horsemen only comes out on certain nights. And people are strongly advised to stay indoors (the only apparent surefire protection). Unfortunately, someone who is a friend/family member didnt make it and they are near my house as the sun falls. I am left with no option but to go out and fight to buy them time to get to my house. And I end up on foot vs. on horseback against the undead enemy with only a staff (or rusty dull-bladed sword, it seemed to change back and forth for some reason) to fight with. Somehow, I actually hold the Horseman off until I wake up from the dream. (using what looks to be some cool melee MA maneuvers by the way)

• 2 weeks later...

4 FEB 2011

I was part of a crew of a Star Trek(ish) starship. We met up with a lost colonization vessel from a new, paranoid/aggressive culture. When they attacked us, we quickly scanned the surrounding systems to find them a world to colonize, then stayed just far enough ahead of them to ensure they followed us to the new planet.

When they detected the planet, we beamed a covert away team aboard the colony ship and had our starship retreat well beyond their sensor range. I was part of the away team. For some reason, our initial mission was to steal their technology, but we began to realize their aggressive behavior was born of desperation, as their supplies had run low. Their paranoia stemmed from having been attacked by pirates and having much of their supplies stolen and destroyed. We decided to aid them in establishing their colony, and infiltrated their society to be in a position to render aid as necessary.

They gradually became aware that there were aliens living among them and began taking precautions to try to identify and capture us. I was making friends among the colonists and was spreading information about the wonderful planet below. Meanwhile, my Captain was attempting to covertly repair the colony ship's damaged landing apparatus. As he was finishing up, I was gathering my things preparatory to beaming out of the ship. I remember packing a toothbrush and other items when I heard that an “alien” had been captured (my Captain) while trying to “sabotage the landing equipment”. Before he was discovered, my Captain had initiated the automatic landing sequence.

By the time we landed, all the “aliens” but myself had been captured. They were preparing to throw them out the airlock when I stepped forward and opened the doorway to a fantastic, wild landscape. The ship had landed at the bottom of a fertile valley flanked with steep, incredibly tall mountains covered in greenery. I explained that although we “aliens” had been acting covertly, we had only been trying to ensure that they safely arrived on a colonizable planet.

23 FEB 2011

I was a superpowered member of a terraforming team on a distant planet, preparing it to receive colonists. Our commanding officer had developed a dislike for a large native creature that lived in the soil. It bore a striking resemblance to a golden sea turtle. It swam in the soil, eating from the roots of the great, sequoia-like trees that covered most of the land.

Our commander had us systematically removing the trees so he could more easily shoot the dirt-turtles when they surfaced for air. I began to realize that these were intelligent creatures and tried to stop the commander from shooting more of them when hordes of them arose from the ground and began counterattacking.

The commander was hysterically ordering me to kill them all, but I wouldn't, since they were only defending themselves.