Egyptoid

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Heroes from All Fifty States

If I'm not mistaken, here's our combined progress so far:

Map0708a.png

That's twenty-six states, one territory, and one American idol. That's more than half the nation already!

Great work, everybody!

Maine could be home to Pharos, the "lighthouse hero". A demi-brick with plenty of light images and flashes (radius and line area effect).

Or maybe "The Moose", a shaggy brick with some bad-news antlers and growth.

For Massachussetts :

Lady Liberty, via the state motto "Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" (Latin: By the sword she seeks peace under liberty). Patriotic, sword-wielding weaponmistress. Maybe even a "blind justice" element where she has eyes covered by a cloth, but she can "see" injustice or criminal intent.

Old Ironsides - Powered Armor hero with a "sail and rigging" motif to his armor.

If any citizen of New Jersey would prefer another option, I'll with draw her for possibly being too stereotypical but...

"My god," Tompkins stared through the glassy material into the room with their subject. He couldn't believe his eyes,"I thought you were yanking me around."

"I wish," Calhoun took a drag on his cigarette. He'd been trying to quit, but the weirdness of this day had shot his will power all to hell, "Fingerprints suggest that she's Angelica Hobart, a girl who got lost in the Pine Barrens nearly forty years ago. Only she doesn't look forty, and she claims she has no idea who this 'angelica hobart' is. No name. Just that she wants to help."

"Help?" Tompkins raised a brow, "You said she was the one who saved that family of campers, but you didn't say from who"

"Not who," Calhoun shook his head,"What. The family was attacked by a creature with dark hair all over its body, a long neck, wings and hooves. You were raised in this state. Sound familiar?"

Tompkins blinked, "Now you -are- yanking me around."

"Nope. The family caught the fight on their cell phone, and we have the monster's corpse. That's how our little bat winged heroine in their got her scratches...in the fight. That was next on the tour."

Once more Tompkins stared through the glass, "Well, I guess that means we've got ourselves a NEW 'Jersey Devil'."

Some of the tribe was forced to move to Oklahoma after the Second Seminole War...some are in Oklahoma and some are in Florida and besides it's the mascot for my favourite College Football team.
I guess that's what you'd call a Seminole moment in history.... ;)

If I'm not mistaken, here's our combined progress so far:

Map0708a.png

That's twenty-six states, one territory, and one American idol. That's more than half the nation already!

Great work, everybody!

No place for Puerto Rico, I see. :(

That's fine. El Boricua will just stay home and watch TV with a tub of Dove ice cream.

:D

I have the Raven from Hermit's Civic Guard thread a while back...

The Raven

"Like a phoenix from the ashes..." the words drifted across the rooftops of downtown Baltimore as a set of dark eyes pierced the veil of night. A slight rustle followed the words and then...only silence.

Charles Gable looked out at the Inner harbor from the windows along his cubicle. It still amazed him that he could see the changes literally happening overnight in the city. "Believe" Mayor O'Malley had said when he took office. Well, Charlie sure did. In fact, Charlie believed in a lot more then he used to these days.

In 1972 two things had occured that pretty much defined Charlie. The first was his birth. The second was the revitilazation of Baltimore as an urban center. Growing up in a city on the rebound was fascinating. So many times Baltimore had been considered "A doomed city", from the words of the English Admiral that failed to destroy her in 1814, to the 1950's when Urban decay had almost gutted the entire city. Things had slowed again in the lte 1980's and 90's, but wth the new Millenium had come a new rebirth, a new idea, and the thought that all you needed to do was believe.

Growing up in a city that was struggling to rise from the ashes was an interesting experience. Charlie hadn't really begun to appreciate it till long after his college years, but then all he saw was a vibrant city filled with hope and good will. This lasted until his teen years when the recession hit Baltimore hard. His family began to have problems making the ends meet...sometimes they couldn't even find the ends...and Chalie had sad goodbye to Baltimore as his family moved in with his grandparents in near-by Howard county. This was the first time that Charlie began to really learn about his own heritage.

In the late 1800's, Hector Gable, a newly freed man, set his sights on the Maryland environs. He brought with him a work ethic that knew no bounds, a keen and quick mind, and tales handed down from his family. Tales that venerated the East African birthplace of his father's line, and the Maryland roots of his Mother's people, the Susquehannock. These stories were passed down cleanly in the family until Charlie. His father had decided that no son of his would have to hold with such superstitious claptrap! But now, in the proximity of his grandparents he heard the stories. He heard about the mighty warriors of both tribes, of the mighty magiks they commanded as well. The stories filled a void in Charlie, but they were always just that...stories.

But there was something more, something indefinable that kept him linked to this city, this homeland. Passing into his college years, Charlie managed to get all of the right recommendations and was accepted into Annapolis. His physicality and quick intellect marked him as a potential star. Shortly after graduation, Charlie set his sights on a new goal. The next few years passed in a blur of training, testing and surpassing limits he didn't even know he had, but in the end, Charlie passed BUD/S and joined the elite family of special forces as a Navy SEAL. he served for 5 more years with honor and distinction, but in the end, when his hitch was up, he wanted to go home. He thought he had chosen his life, but something else pulled him back to Baltimore.

It was now the late 90's and Baltimore was again in what many critics were calling it's "Death throes". Urban decay had set in and reduced the grand dreams of the 70's into the harsh reality of the worst crime statistics in the country. In fact, shortly after getting back to the city of his birth, Charlie became a statistic.

It was almost ridiculous. A highly trained combat veteran gets mugged. The punchline should have been equally predictable, but Charlie had felt a wave of calm and reduced awareness wash over him as soon as he was "home" again. He almost couldn't take the threat seriously, even with the two armed thugs in his face. He just gave up the wallet and figured it would be over soon enough. No need to get anyone else in trouble. The thugs had other ideas though and as they ran off, they emptied their guns at Charlie. Slack jawed, he lay in a spreading pool of his own blood, scarcely believeing that this had really happened. That was when the visions started. He saw the history of his people, both African and Native American, ending in pain and suffering. He saw his adopted people, the Americans, suffering in the early birth of their country.

But he also saw the hope that existed. He saw those willing to stand up and champion the cause of the common people. He saw options...

Charlie recovered from the mugging with scarcely a mark to indicate anything had happened and a speed that was described as "unseemly". The doctors were dumbfounded. His family was amazed. Only his grandfather seemed to cast a knowing wink in his direction on the day Charlie finally came home. It was the same wink he got a year later when the family was discussing the exploits of Baltimore's new Superhero, The Raven.

Powers: The Raven is a highly trained Ex-SEAL with the additional training of a Susquehannock shaman. While his magic is still weak, he is able to fly with the aid of his feathered cloak, see in total darkness, communicate wth his Raven cohort over vast distances and other such minor magics. He is also a scary and creepy guy in general, well versed in the arts of stealth and misdirection.

Appearance: The Raven wears all black. From a tight fitting cowl that dips sllightly into a "beak" at the end of his nose, it blends into a full form suit of light bodyarmor, also in black. A belt with servicible and sturdy military style pouches holds most of the equipment he needs, be it magical or mundane in nature. Draping from his shoulders is the "Cloak of ten thousand wings" It is a feathered cloak of darkest ebony that seems to move of it's own volition. Usually on his shoulder or nearby is his spirit guide, a Black Raven he calls Poe in honor of one of his city's most famous sons.

Relations: Raven is creepy, he's scary and he makes Batman look congenial at times...but he also speaks passionately and often about the rebirth of Baltimore and his hopes for the future of the city. And in typical Baltimorean fashion the citizens adore him. It doesnt matter if he scares the heck out of everyone, he's their champion and that's all there is to it.

And once I remember how to multi-link an attachment, I'll post his sheets. In the meantime, you can get it here: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1455051&postcount=11

Quick picture attached as well.

Here’s today’s one (one annoying thing on this one is you cant see the detail the belt buckle on the outfit is supposed to be the Hawaiian state seal but its way to small to see.)

AZURE Champion of Hawaii

Azure Bayswater-Aukai was a world champion free diver she left her native UK for the beautiful oceans of Hawaii in 2002 and never went home. She ended up falling in love with the captain of her hire boat Jacques Keola Au kai. They married and she emigrated to Hawaii permanently.

Whilst training for an international diving event she was diving deep from Jacques boat. She sank deeper her lungs ft to burst from the immense pressure. she saw a brilliant blue light it transfixed her she had to reach it she kept diving, going much deeper than she ever had before and that was the last anyone saw of her for 3 days.

She was found naked and incoherent on a beach and taken to hospital. The doctors couldn’t explain what had happen to her by rights she should be dead but she seemed to be in amazing condition apart from some memory loss. That was until she started to change her skin turned blue he eyes changed and most startling of all Azure discovered she had the ability to manipulate water with her mind.

She stayed in the hospital for over a month but in the end there was nothing the doctors could do she was fine if now totally different. she returned to the sea and discovered what her new body could do she was totally at home beneath the waves manipulating the water she could move and fantastic speeds she could breath water like air and draw strength from it.

She started spending all her time in the water returning to Jacques periodically but never straying far from the waves and she began to rescue people it was so easy for her to move in the water to pluck people from danger and the freedom of the water made her content somehow.

she quickly became a close ally of the coast guard and when Hawaii was looking for its own champion, she was the first choice and she wears the colours with pride enjoying the irony of still being able to wear the union Jack even as an American.

And once I remember how to multi-link an attachment, I'll post his sheets. In the meantime, you can get it here: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1455051&postcount=11

And here I was hoping for something with crab-like appendages, or a duck-pin bowler what can throw at super speed...

:D

actually I realized today while I was driving around that

someone had submitted a description for Alaska-person,

and I had forgotten to try to do them.

also, can anyone do a better job on Oregon?

I tried to follow BobG's guidelines, but I feel it came out

looking dorky, and I assume its not the fault of the description.

good job on Hawaii and Maryland.

also nice map....

plus people have posted other goodies....

here's an idea.

what if five {of some of the states left} had a military themed hero ?

2 coastal states could have a navy and coast guard based super-hero,

and 3 others could have a USAF, Army, and Marines type of guy.

just a random thought.

plus: wait till I spring part 2 of this thread on ya.

Real nice!

also nice map....

here's an idea.

just a random thought.

So my Beaverman doesn't fly? :)

Change the gold chestplate and everything green to the same Navy blue as the legs, and I think you'd have it just fine.

New York would seem to be the logical choice for the Army hero, since that's where West Point (the United States Military Academy) is located. Alas, Colorado (USAF) and Maryland (Navy & USMC) are already spoken for.

The Coast Guard Academy is in Connecticut, though....

(And in truth, Captain Colorado could be an Air Force guy. I never really thought of a background for him. When I posted him, I certainly had no idea there'd be a demand for 49 more state-themed heroes! :D )

also nice map....

here's an idea.

just a random thought.

I see you moved the words on Red Stick around...which is okay by me, because the idea of 'Justice' being written on the night stick amuses me more than it should ;)

My attempt at Alaska is here, and all current pix I know about are up.

If Pariah can kindly redo his map ? :)

After we do all fifty, I'll redo the format so that its more viewer friendly.

Sorry, Hermit, I couldn't leave Red-Stick alone.

I hope you like the minor adjustment I made.

If you folks can't tell, I've been leaving your images mostly as you

send them to me, but I do like Mr. Terrific...

Plus I'm going to move Rhode Island Red, MI Spartan, etc.

to a legion of subs page after a while.

If I've forgotten anything . . .

=======================================================

from the GREAT WHITE NORTH

Now i'm not an American so I hope this doesn't sound too cliched but' date=' for Alaska, how about a super strong, tough guy with tunnelling named "Wildcatter" who formerly worked in the oil industry in the state ? His origin could involve local mysticism, or an industrial accident or whatever.[/quote']

ALASKA.JPG

faithful husky, magic harpoon, wild-cat totem, ice suit, tundra cloak,

super strength, and tunneling

Competes with West Virginia Moutaineer

to see who can go longest without setting foot indoors.

WV has a top of 447 days. AK's best was only 335, but

he blames the Fairbanks Fire Department for dragging him

indoors after the Van Horn incident.

Change the gold chestplate and everything green to the same Navy blue as the legs' date=' and I think you'd have it just fine.[/quote']

See, by the time I had seen this post, I had already gotten started on this...

I figure the motorcycle runs on alternative energy of some sort. :)