Old Immortal RPG

Mirgos

Re: Old Immortal RPG

Does anyone remember the Immortal RPG (by Precedence I think) & has anyone done any work with a conversion to HERO?

I remember it and have a copy of the book, but I haven't opened the book in years and never put much thought into converting it to Hero.

I have most of the books, I'd never try to do a conversion, maybe an inspired by. The thing I remember most about the game (aside from the herculian effort it took to wade through the rule book) was that one of the modules came with a cd of sound effects - interesting but not remarkable in and of itself - but one of the tracks was a band setting up and starting to play in a bar where the players would be meeting to talk. When the band stopped playing that's when the players would be attacked. Sort of a built in "kick in the door". Untennable and pretty much unfair (What if a player had a question that took some explaining?) but also kind of a cool idea just it's reach exceded it's grasp.

I think you could - you could certainly write up the powers and the disadvantages and things into Hero. But if you wanted the flavour, you'd need to dispense with a lot of the Hero structure, and possibly keep the numbers a secret.

It has very little to do with Highlander.

It is possible to have a character that has the same powers and disadvantages as a Highlander-Immortal. But it is equally possibly you could be a vampire-like Immortal or a demon-like Immortal or even an angel-like Immortal. They're all the same thing in Immortal. Gods with amnesia describes them best.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Admiral C

It's funny. I remember an old boss of mine talking about this game, about how they changed all the rpg terminology for no good reason and how you had to have a full color character sheet to play it. I actulaly bought a used copy during a recent trip. I couldn't tell you why though. Probably the same reason I bought Spacemaster.

No' date=' I think you're thinking of Legacy: War of Ages.

The highlander reference was due to a line in the book about taking the head off another immortal. But that is purely based on mythology where you cut off a vampire's head and stuff it with garlic, or cut the head off a gorgon but can still wield its power, etc..

But highlander was receiving renewed popularity from the series, so the comparison was inevitable.

It's funny. I remember an old boss of mine talking about this game' date=' about how they changed all the rpg terminology for no good reason and how you had to have a full color character sheet to play it. I actulaly bought a used copy during a recent trip. I couldn't tell you why though. Probably the same reason I bought Spacemaster.[/quote']

You are thinking of the 1st Edition of the game from 1994 - 1997, and yes there was a huge issue with mechanics terminology. That isn't present in the 3rd Edition; they were removed after the game's original creator was able to regain his rights over the game from the publisher just before they closed their doors in 2002. The game has had a serious overhaul since the days when you played shapeshifters ... but the core rule book didn't have shapeshifting rules in it... :rolleyes:

The highlander reference was due to a line in the book about taking the head off another immortal. But that is purely based on mythology where you cut off a vampire's head and stuff it with garlic, or cut the head off a gorgon but can still wield its power, etc..

But highlander was receiving renewed popularity from the series, so the comparison was inevitable.

Well, actually no. :) Like I said, I think Kid Jurassic is thinking of Legacy: War of Ages, not Immortal: The Invisible War.

They both came out around the same time (1993 for Legacy, 1994 for Immortal), but (aside from the word Immortal in the name) Immortal: The Invisible War had little or no resemblance to the Highlander mythos. However, Legacy: War of Ages was so similar to the Highlander mythos that... well... I don't know what was in the heads of the authors, so I can't in good conscience say that they knowingly copied the Highlander setting almost from beginning to end. So I'll just say that I can't imagine that anyone could read that book and not come away with the distinct impression that it was entirely intended to be almost exactly like Highlander. :)

Well, actually no. :) Like I said, I think Kid Jurassic is thinking of Legacy: War of Ages, not Immortal: The Invisible War.

They both came out around the same time (1993 for Legacy, 1994 for Immortal), but (aside from the word Immortal in the name) Immortal: The Invisible War had little or no resemblance to the Highlander mythos. However, Legacy: War of Ages was so similar to the Highlander mythos that... well... I don't know what was in the heads of the authors, so I can't in good conscience say that they knowingly copied the Highlander setting almost from beginning to end. So I'll just say that I can't imagine that anyone could read that book and not come away with the distinct impression that it was entirely intended to be almost exactly like Highlander. :)

Legacy: War of Ages basically was a Highlander setting without using the name. There were a few elements similar to the World of Darkness. Vampires were all called Nosferatu, and Warlocks existed as well. Instead of Werewolves, they had Chimerae, which could shapeshift, but had to absorb their mass of living beings (who they impersonated afterwards) every month. Dwimmerlaiks were supernatural horrors. Didn't bblackmoor write this one?

There is a Vampire supplement called War of Ages, which has nothing to do with this game.

As for Immortal: The Invisible War, it had some interesting ideas, but the system was a bit hard to understand. They created a new system when they made a new edition, and they even changed the politics.