dark champions from each of the 50 states

bubba smith

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: dark champions from each of the 50 states

Don't worry. Sin-eating goes back to (at least) seventeenth-century England. It came over to "the colonies" with the English.

Anyway, always remember the Ozarks were settled from Appalachia. Any folk rituals you find in the Ozarks you'll find in Appalachia.

So, sin-eating and Appalachia go together just fine. :thumbup:

I always figured that the Ozarks were part of Appalachia? At least, I know that the 'Silver John' stories of Manly Wade Wellman are set in Southern Appalachia, in the Tennesee/North Carolina mountains, and he did a story about sin-eating involving John.

(I passed through Alaska some years back on the way from London to Tokyo. There are mosquitoes up there that can fly in formation with B-52's!)

My dad's buddy was stationed in Alaska during WW II. He used to tell a joke:

One night I woke up and overheard two mosquitos outside my tent talking over what they wanted to do.

The first one: "Well, do we want to eat him here or carry him off into the woods and then eat him?"

The second one replied: "We'd better just eat him here. If we drag him into the woods, the big mosquitos might take him away from us."

To each her own, of course, but to me Dark Champions says cities. I do think it would be more reasonable to create one character for each of the USA's 50 largest cities.

The Metropolitan Statistical Areas are more useful than city limits for this purpose. Behold, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas !

The Sewer-gator - an albino reptilian thing that crawled out from under the streets of New York. Wanted on multiple counts of murder, some more plausible than other. The authorities are pretty sure it's eaten a few muggers and rapists, but aren't in a particular rush to apprehend it.

To each her own' date=' of course, but to me Dark Champions says [i']cities[/i]. I do think it would be more reasonable to create one character for each of the USA's 50 largest cities.

The Metropolitan Statistical Areas are more useful than city limits for this purpose. Behold, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas !

SLC's in at #48. Sweet!

If you haven’t already got one here's one for Illinois.

THE UNTOUCHABLE.

He’s the ghost story crime lords tell their kids when they won't go to bed. The Untouchable last of Elliot Ness's Boys a ghostly Fed gunned down by Capone but returned to walk the earth and hunt down criminals and make them pay.

Or at least that’s the story the profilers at Quantico came up with for Special agent Gary Howell to Take advantage of superstitious criminals. he uses the psychologically edge of the ghost story to strike fear into the hearts of organised crime across Illinois. The truth of what he really is, is another story entirely...

Special agent Howell had been assigned undercover to investigate a DOD funded high energy physics lab at the University of Chicago someone was selling secrets to the wrong people. Unfortunately the unscrupulous scientist behind the stolen secrets made Howell and locked him inside the experimental chamber as the advanced particle accelerator fired.

Howell should have died.

His body vaporised by extrodinary energies bathed in exotic particles but when it was obver he was still there ... MOSTLY

The scientist are still making up words to describe what Gary is now. The best guess so far is that Howell's matter has been knocked partially out of phase with the rest of the universe.

Which means special agent Howell is now able to walk through walls ignore bullets. But what’s really puzzling the scientist is how he seems able to control the amount of phasing and even pull small objects into his own phase by strength of will alone.

Now he works the Chicago beat using his strange powers to curb organised crime.

I can’t decide which version is better so here are two versions with and without gun

Only now does it occur to me that a *much* better name for my New York suggestion would have been THE ALLEY-GATOR

ah well.

No problem. I'll change the name shown above the picture; that's easy to do.

Re The Dunwich Detective' date=' yes, Cthulhu with a shotgun did amuse :D[/quote']

Ah! Thanks to you and some others for talking about "the Dunwich Detective." Egyptoid's post called him "Mister Massachusetts " and that's what I had him as. I'll change that too.

THE UNTOUCHABLE.

He’s the ghost story crime lords tell their kids when they won't go to bed. The Untouchable last of Elliot Ness's Boys a ghostly Fed gunned down by Capone but returned to walk the earth and hunt down criminals and make them pay.

Or at least that’s the story the profilers at Quantico came up with for Special agent Gary Howell to Take advantage of superstitious criminals. he uses the psychologically edge of the ghost story to strike fear into the hearts of organised crime across Illinois. The truth of what he really is, is another story entirely...

Special agent Howell had been assigned undercover to investigate a DOD funded high energy physics lab at the University of Chicago someone was selling secrets to the wrong people. Unfortunately the unscrupulous scientist behind the stolen secrets made Howell and locked him inside the experimental chamber as the advanced particle accelerator fired.

Howell should have died.

His body vaporised by extrodinary energies bathed in exotic particles but when it was obver he was still there ... MOSTLY

The scientist are still making up words to describe what Gary is now. The best guess so far is that Howell's matter has been knocked partially out of phase with the rest of the universe.

Which means special agent Howell is now able to walk through walls ignore bullets. But what’s really puzzling the scientist is how he seems able to control the amount of phasing and even pull small objects into his own phase by strength of will alone.

I can’t decide which version is better so here are two versions with and without gun

Illinois is still available. :)

I'll use the picture with the gun; to me, it looks much more Dark Champions. ;)

THE UNTOUCHABLE.

Howell should have died.

nice btw i think you meant "war department"not "DOD"

I vote for the version with the gun, too. It's not just that it looks cooler, but there's something about Ghost Bullets that would really strike fear into the hearts of criminals. They are a cowardly and superstitious lot, after all.

oops perhaps i should have been more clear he is a modern FBI agent (although he could work for any period just add more atomic/electric mad science for the 30's). the back story about him being a Capone era ghost was created and spread by FBI profilers to give him both a psychological edge(aforementioned superstitious and cowardly lot) and plausible denialability(It means he can do things normal FBI agents can't who's gonna believe it was really a ghost when its more likely to be a rival mob etc).

Re: Mister Massachusetts

VuCephalux.JPG

No, he's a crimefighter, he only looks satanic.

and he only comes out at night.

plus he reads a lot of dusty old books

and he's more at home in the caves and rivers.

plus he researches a lot into genealogy

and he tends to leave criminals in strange predicaments.

the Detective of Dunwich, he fights crime !

Of course, behind his back the local villains call him Mass_ole.

can you please change the name of PA to Burning Man of Pennsylvania.

the Astrolabe thing is just inside his own tragic head.

Thanks.

Well, since you went so far as to pull the post the name came from, I suppose I'd better. :winkgrin:

I'll change the name, since you asked. Still, are you sure you want to sound like a regional offshoot of THE Burning Man?

For New Jersey

ITEM:Mobile/Living/Human(Identify?)

ID:Creator

RUN:Enthusiasm!

"Mal-Colm? It Is. Good. To. See. You."

"It's good to see you too, Rover. Did you enjoy yesterday's programs?"

"Yes, Malcolm. They Were. Very Interesting. Query : Will I Be. Performing. These Functions. Today?"

"Probably. Read these first, then I'll show you who you'll be protecting me from. Open up."

ITEM:Non-mobile/Technological/ Data-Storage-Modified

ID:ATARI-cartridge-customised

RUN:EagerPLUSAssimilate

RUN-COMPILE:SelfRepairANDImprovement

ASSESS:Compatible-YES

RUN:UserInteraction

MALF:Hardware

ASSESS:OpticsImpaired/HydraulicFluid(Human)?

RUN:Repair

"Query: Mal-Colm?"

ROVER's creator was a gadgeteer-to-order, creating strange weapons, bizarre vehicles, and powered armour out of scrap and junk. Unfortunately, one of his creations earnt him the ire of a local crime boss, and he found himself in urgent need of some bodyguards, and made some.

The AI 'ROVER', twin brother to the surveillance AI 'SPOT', was built from a crateful of obsolete games consoles and assorted junk. ROVER was still assimilating self-repair and self-improvement programs when someone somehow avoided SPOT and shot Malcolm in the head.

Trying to weld Malcolm's skull back together didn't work too well.

After writing itself a new program - :(.0.1 - and with no idea which individuals on the state's Most Wanted webpage Malcolm intended, ROVER ran its FetchANDORdisableANDORdisassemble program on all of them, and is still going.

ROVER's various bodies are rarely humanoid, and range from the dog-sized original to the mantis-shrimp-inspired nightmare machine welded together from 6 Volkwagons, two hydraulic rams, and a trunkful of circular saws and angle-grinders.

The Concord Coachman.

A highwayman/brigand and generally considered more of a fun-loving scoundrel than villain. He rides in a souped-up, modernized (ie.e. horeseless) stagecoach and wields both a "flintlock" blaster pistol and a standard dueling foil for those daring skirmishes.

He is a conservative and nationalist, thiking most other nationalities below that of a "good American stock". He will also pick fights on the premise of one being a "modern-day confederate" or a "west coast liberal". Alas, it seems only New Englanders receive any of the Coachman's respect...and those states neighboring his "home base" of New Hampshire are more often the focus of his atacks than anyone else.

He generally holds up wealthy or famous travellers (more for the notoriety than for wealth, as it seems the Coachman is indeed, filthy rich by his own right). He will not hesitate to stage an elaborate plot to discredit liberal politicians or those whose policies are not in light with his (i.e. "The sure voice of reason, as solid as granite"). But just as often he will play the hero, rescuing people from natural (or manmade) disasters. While he will sometimes steal money from banking insitutions or multinational corporations and glady be seen doing so, he will be sure that the recipient of his generosity is allowed their privacy.