Super Transportation

SSgt Baloo

ETA: 15 MAR 2012

I started a playlist >

< on Youtube. If anyone finds something you think I might want to know about , either PM me a link or post it in this thread, if appropriate./ETA

Ordinarily, superheroes shouldn't have to wait for the bus or hail a cab. This thread is for links to (or pictures of) aircraft, spacefraft, or any combination of the two that superheroes might use.

XST-71v.png

XST-71V Supersonic Transport

AerospaceCraft1.png

General Products Aerospace Shuttle Mk IV

(GPA-S Mk IV)

Batplane.png

Golden Age Batman's Batplane

(XP-67 Bat)

ETA: I removed the original and replaced it with this, though I've done a couple of different variations on this same airframe since.

Chapparral.png

CS-10 Chapparral

The XST-71V supersonic transport is a development of the technology that went into the SR-71. The original purpose of this craft was to provide the US Military with a supersonic transport with VTOL capability for its Rapid-Deployment Forces. Unfortunately, the cost-benefits analysis for this VTOL-SST was completed after the first few prototypes had been assembled. The XST-71V was demilitarized and sold to Danforth Industries, which has refitted the vehicle with Electrostatic thrusters powered by a compact prototype electroplasma power generator. Performance is still classified, but top speed is estimated to be Mach 3+, and maximum altitude is more than 100,000 feet (roughly 30,000 meters). It is currently on loan to the International Defenders of Freedom.

Originally designed as a SSTO replacement for the shuttle, the GPA-S Mk IV program was cancelled. In order to recoup at least part of the expense of developing the thing in the first place, GPA has made this shuttle available to several different superteams at different times. It is currently on-loan to the Near-Space Defence Force for testing advanced propulsion systems.

When the Brotherhood of Justice asked to purchase the burned out hulk of the XB-190 so they could restore it to flying condition for their own use, the GAO advised the Air Force to sell it for whatever they could get, after removing all classified systems. Eight months later, Professor Mind rolled out this pale gold aircraft and began submitting paperwork to have it certified as a spacecraft. The FAA and Nasa were difficult to convince that the refurbished aircraft was now space-capable, but after a quick jaunt to the moon, officials approved the design. The BoJ has used this craft to construct their own space station in geostationary orbit above the U.S., and has even aided resupply of the international space station.

Performance is unknown, but there is some speculation that the vehicle uses a faster-than-light propulsion system, at least when in space.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Super Transportation

I found a bunch of aircraft diagrams and had to download and clean up as many as I could (Scanned images often turn out a bit wonky). Of course, I can never leave well enough alone, so here's one of my first efforts.*

Jetstang.png

Edit: JP-51 "Jetstang"

*The P-67 and XST-71V are my first efforts, though the clean-up on the "Batplane" is still incomplete.

Ace pix, SSGT Baloo. I've always imagined a top-flight team of superheroes would have something that looked like USAF/Area 51/NASA "black project". I'd give it an electric (ie: "anti-gravity") propulsion system too.

Is this a real science? It depends on who you ask. I suspect that an orthodox scientist would say no, but Thomas Townsend Brown and Dr Paul Biefeld, neither man regarded as a crackpot, had success with electro-hydrodynamics and the "Biefeld Brown Effect" is a real phenomenon.

Of course, the controversy exists because of the crossover into UFOlogy and the banned phrase "anti-gravity".

Of course, in a superhero campaign with super-genius gadgeteers, there's every possibility that there exists a working electro-gravitic drive.

And maybe FTL as well.

Of course, reproducing the technology is the trick, isn't it?

I look forward to more of these pictures.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

How about:

[image deleted in the interest of unredundancy]

Too many sharp angles and dark colors. Those are obviously the alien invaders commin' to take our wimmen!

Seriously, good work!

Another never-was from the Golden Age:

CometII.png

XP-59C Comet II

Y-35.png

Y-35 HST & Spacecraft

Patterned after the X-24B test vehicle.

In case I haven't made it clear, you're welcome to use these vehicles in your own games, so long as you give credit if anyone asks (and which can be as vague as "This was done by some guy from the Hero System Boards").

This is the Erne (a type of sea eagle), it is the vehicle that the Wardens use to get from Alcatraz island to the mainland and the vehicle picture that was its inspiration.

erne2.gifwig.gif

When designing/mapping a vehicle, I usually only work on half of it. Then when that half is completed I mirror it for the opposite half.

When designing/mapping a vehicle' date=' I usually only work on half of it. Then when that half is completed I mirror it for the opposite half.[/quote']

Excellent technique. I use that method also. As a consequence, most of my vehicles are an odd number of pixels wide.

Here is the Pegasus and Hippogriff' date=' the Wardens' VTOL aircraft.[/quote']

What I can see of them is pretty impressive. Can you do three-views of them (or if you can't, do you mind if I have a go at it)?

What I can see of them is pretty impressive. Can you do three-views of them (or if you can't' date=' do you mind if I have a go at it)?[/quote']Go ahead and have a go at it... I can see things from overhead but am not very good at extrapolating it to 3-view...

we have a character that can teleport the team

however the smallest hop is 1 km

and most of the team are fairly slow ground pounders

During a battle with Black Paladin our team needed to follow rapidly so everyone got into a dumpster and was carried to the next battle site

the first Dumpster of Justice came to an end 30 seconds after landing when it was used to smash Black Paladin in a move through after he had been entangled less than a second before

Mk 2(current version) has been made from an 8m long conex box fitted with enough armor to rival a battleship

also included

nanite comm system

an air lock and life support system enough to get in to space with redundancy

it can float and move very slowly on water

and lastly a gravity based teleport system that can move the dumpster 1km,10 km,100km and interface with the powers of team's #3 brick whose powers increase it's range up to 600km per hop

max capacity 9.6 tons + dumpster weight of 6.4 tons=16 tons total wt

The Dumpster of Justice

Val Char Cost Notes

6 Size 30 Length 4", Width 2", Area 8" Mass 6.4 ton KB -6

40 STR 0 HTH Damage 8d6 END [4]

0 DEX -30 OCV 0 DCV -4

16 BODY 0

24 DEF 66

0 SPD -10 Phases: (none)

Total Characteristic Cost: 43

Movement:

Swimming: 1"/2"

Teleportation: 1"/2"

Abilities & Equipment

Cost Power END

16 Mind Link , human class of minds, Specific Group of Minds, Any distance, No LOS Needed, Number of Minds (x8), Psychic Bond (45 Active Points); IAF Immobile Fragile Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1 ¾)

14 LS (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) (19 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1)

Notes: (x2 number of items)

24 Teleportation 1", x16 Increased Mass, Usable By Other (+¼), MegaScale (1" = 100 km; +¾), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 1km (+¼) (49 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1)

Perks

2 Fringe Benefit: Emergency Services Vehicle

Talents

1 Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Fuel Dependent (fuel is Very Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; DVD discs; -¾), Activation Roll 14- (-½)

Total Abilities & Equipment Cost: 57

Total Vehicle Cost: 100

Value Disadvantages

10 Distinctive Features: armored conex box named the dumpster of justice (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

15 Physical Limitation: Steel box (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

15 Reputation: graffiti target, 14-

20 Hunted: UNTIL 14- (As Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

10 Hunted: CLOWN 8- (Less Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

25 Hunted: Viper 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

Total Disadvantage Points: 95

Total Cost: 5/5 = 1

Go ahead and have a go at it... I can see things from overhead but am not very good at extrapolating it to 3-view...

Thanks! I'll download the top views now and see what I can come up with.

The Dumpster of Justice....

"Dumpster of Justice"?!? *Snicker!*

I'll bet everyone in your campaign is having much fun.

Even the badguys need cool transport. This would be for a Golden-Age campaign and is based on the

Weserflug P.1003/1 (link provided).

DerHoverPlane.png

Der Schwebeflugfläche

(Or "Hoverplane" Auf English.)

Concord's Plane: Erne

Erne.png

The Erne

Although designed as a wing-in-ground-effect (WIG) aircraft, and thus classified as a boat for licensing purposes, the Erne may, with auxiliary power engaged, climb to 20,000 feet. It's intended operating altitude (IOA) is, however, only 35 feet. While cruising at IOA, the Erne consumes only slightly more fuel than it does while taxiing. With a cruise speed of up to 250 knots, the Erne is both faster and more fuel-efficient than airborne or even most waterborne vehicles.

Concord's Plane: Hippogriff

Hippogriff.png

The Hippogriff

The Hippogriff is the smaller of two VTOL aircraft used by the Wardens. It seats 5, including the pilot. There is a navigational dome just aft of the cockpit and both a dorsal hatch and aft ramp for easy egress. The V-tail design was chosen specifically to facilitate egress/ingress by flying supers while the craft is in flight.

Edit: incorrect name has been corrected. Check back periodically as I try to improve the concept. Right noiw* I can see there's not much headroom. :doi:

More Edit: I just figured out this IS the Hippogriff, so I'll be making changes. Stay tuned.

(Hopefully) Last Edit: I think I've fixed all the glaring faults so it probably won't change any more. On to the Pegasus!

* I must've been channelling TCWOAN.

ok, do you have stats for the Erne, or can I take a crack at it?

just going by rough dimensional volume, were looking at a 36 displacement ton vehicle[500 cubic meters volume/14 giving 36 DT] do we have an idea on her speed and Dex?

what era tech, cold war, modern, futuristic?

how much detail do you want in the write up?

is it armed?

ok, do you have stats for the Erne, or can I take a crack at it?

just going by rough dimensional volume, were looking at a 36 displacement ton vehicle[500 cubic meters volume/14 giving 36 DT] do we have an idea on her speed and Dex? figuring Size 10, STR 60

what era tech, cold war, modern, futuristic?

how much detail do you want in the write up?

is it armed?

The Erne is a vehicle designed for transporting a superhero team... so my rating of the technology would be modern with futuristic elements... I haven't stat'ed it out yet... DEX and SPD would both be human max as the pilots are not 'supers'... if you want to take a crack at it be my guest.

The picture it was based on was a concept vehicle that I found on this site http://www.se-technology.com/wig/index.php

ok, heres version 1 of the Erne, unarmed, decent off the shelf sensor package, a little armor, chaff and flare pods and a radar warning receiver.

ERNE V1

Val Char Cost Notes

10 Size 50 Length 10.08", Width 5.04", Area 50.8" Mass 102.4 ton KB -10

60 STR 0 Lift 102.4tons; 12d6

20 DEX 30 OCV 7 DCV 1

22 BODY 2

2 DEF 0

4 SPD 10 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

Total Characteristic Cost: 80

Movement: Swimming: 2" / 4"

Leaping: 0"

Flight: 48" / 1536"

Cost Powers END

Propulsion Modes

14 1) WIGE Flight: Flight 24", x8 Noncombat (58 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Fuel Dependent (fuel is Very Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; -3/4), Limited Maneuverability Only 1 turn per Phase at Combat speed; only 1 turn per Turn at Noncombat speed (-1/2), Difficult to Operate (-1/4), Crew-Served (2 people; -1/4), Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4), Custom Modifier (Real Gear; -1/4) Note: 2 large drive fans in armored housings above and behind cockpit 0

15 2) Standard Flight with Auxilary Power Systems: Flight 24", x8 Noncombat (58 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Fuel Dependent (fuel is Very Common; must refuel Once per 6 Hours; -3/4), Custom Modifier (20,000 feet service ceiling; -1/2), Crew-Served (2 people; -1/4), Custom Modifier (Real Gear; -1/4) 0

Tactical Systems

Defensive Systems

3 1) Radar Warning Receiver: Detect Detection By Radar 14- (Radio Group) (8 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Custom Modifier (Real Gear; -1/4) 0

4 2) Chaff and Flare Pods: Radio Group and Infrared Perception Images 1" radius (10 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1/4), Custom Modifier (Real Gear; -1/4) Note: mounted in sockets at bottom rear of drive fan housings [6 cc]

5 3) Crash Web Systems for Cockpit: Energy Damage Reduction, 50% (20 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Custom Modifier (only vs collision and roll damage; -1), Real Armor (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Limited Coverage Nearly 360 Degrees (Coverage does not protect some occupants; does not protect cargo area; -1/4) 0

7 4) Alloy Construction with advanced composites: Armor (4 PD/4 ED) (12 Active Points); Ablative BODY Only (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) 0

Electronics

10 1) Advanced Radar Package: Radar (Radio Group), +3 to PER Roll, Concealed (-2 with Radar PER Rolls), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Telescopic: +4 (27 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense [very common Sense] (-1/2), Custom Modifier (Real Gear; -1/4) Note: Top of Tail mounted bulge 0

7 2) Advanced Sonar Package: Active Sonar (Hearing Group), +2 to PER Roll, Concealed (-2 with Active Sonar PER Rolls) (19 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense [very common Sense] (-1/2), Custom Modifier (Real Gear; -1/4) Note: Arrays mounted in lower fintip pods forward of cockpit 0

9 3) FLIR: Infrared Perception (Sight Group), +3 to PER Roll, Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Telescopic: +3 (20 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Custom Modifier (Real Gear; -1/4) 0

3 4) Communications System: Radio Perception/Transmission (Radio Group) (10 Active Points); OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), Affected As Hearing Group As Well As Radio Group (-1/4), Custom Modifier (Real Gear; -1/4) 0

6 5) GPS and Navigation Computer: Navigation (Air, Land, Marine) 14- (14 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Custom Modifier (Real Equipment; -1/4), Custom Modifier (Real Gear; -1/4)

Personnel Systems

19 1) Fire Extinguishing System: (Total: 98 Active Cost, 19 Real Cost) Detect Unauthorized/Uncontrolled Fires 14- (no Sense Group) (8 Active Points); Only Within Affected Area (20" x 20" zone; -2) (Real Cost: 3) plus Dispel Fire Powers 10d6, all Fire powers simultaneously (+2) (90 Active Points); Only Within Affected Area (20" x 20" zone; -2), 2 Charges (-1 1/2), OIF Bulky (-1), Custom Modifier (Real Gear; -1/4) (Real Cost: 16) [2]

7 2) Pressurized Cabin: Life Support (Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Self-Contained Breathing) (14 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1) 0

Talents

1 Absolute Range Sense (3 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Custom Modifier (Real Gear; -1/4)

1 Absolute Time Sense (3 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Custom Modifier (Real Gear; -1/4)

1 Bump Of Direction (3 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Custom Modifier (Real Gear; -1/4)

2 Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Custom Modifier (Real Gear; -1/4)

2 Speed Reading (x10) (4 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Custom Modifier (Real Gear; -1/4)

Skills

4 +2 with Flight

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 120

Total Cost: 200

200+ Disadvantages

10 Physical Limitation: +4 to enemy perception rolls with radar and sight in WIGE Mode (Frequently, Slightly Impairing) Note: when in WIGE mode the craft throws off a huge rooster tail like a hydrofoil or worse, making it easier to spot

15 Distinctive Features: known supergroup vehicle (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Physical Limitation: Air Breathing Engines, limited service ceiling , and cant go underwater (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)

10 Reputation: known supergroup vehicle, 11-

0 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 200

comments... questions... advice?

Pegasus.png

The Pegasus

The Pegasus is the larger of two VTOL aircraft used by the Wardens. It seats 14, including the pilot/navigator and copilot/radio operator. There is a navigational dome just aft of the cockpit and both a dorsal hatch and aft ramp for easy egress. The V-tail design was chosen specifically to facilitate egress/ingress by flying supers while the craft is in flight.