Fantasy Art Thread

Enforcer84

Re: Fantasy Art Thread

I thought I would share my continuing growing family of… Hobgoblins. Now a trio, soon to be a quartet. the Hobgoblins are for a pretty interesting kickstarter program of a collection of Monster Art. It looks like my client is pretty close to meeting the kickstarter goal. Y’all should check it out. Here is the website for that:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inkwellideas/monster-stock-art/posts/170997

HobTrio.jpg

And we’ve got some more private character concept commissions to show. First up are two from that longtime patron, Death Tribble. An American Moriarity and a “Skyshark” plane. American Moriarity described to me as “pulp, villain”… DT wasn’t expecting the mask, but I wanted to show some visual hinting at the american part of his description. For Skyshark, of course the p40 for the Flying Tigers was a big inspiration.

AmerMor72.jpg

Skyshark72.jpg

Lastly, we’ve got Tahiti Tex. And interesting take on a bunch of classics… the classic superhero brick, cowboy, hawaiian shirt and bullwhip… all combo’d into one hombre.

Tahititex72.jpg

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiger beat me to the punch!!

Thanks guys for the nice comments...

I finished the hobgoblin series for the Monster Art Kickstarter. I heard back from the client. I’m gonna get more! Wheee! Anyways, if you haven’t yet, check out the link to the Monster Art Kickstarter here, by last check, it has been funded, so I think they might add more monsters and art as they go along!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inkwellideas/monster-stock-art/posts/170997

And I wanna share the hobs with you right now!

Hobquartet.jpg

I did other stuff yesterday too. I finished up another commission for Death Tribble, which actually comes from a long time Hero poster, Arc. The idea for a Victor von Doom-like Witch Doctor. I pencilled and inked this one during a working lunch with awesome artist Steve Ellis. I think hanging out with Steve inspired me. Even borrowed the brush from him to do the inking. I like this one a lot. Fun to do African themed heroes and villains!

WitchDoctor72.jpg

Last, but not least (at least as work went yesterday), got a crack at doing a Lich for another commission. Went kinda dark on this one… digital over pencil. And I like it!! Hope y’all do too. In hindsight, might have pulled out the front gauntlet a bit more… but love the color on the staff gem.

Oeramm72-1.jpg

Just wanted to remind folks that I am selling prints and originals over at Fine Art. I just put up this pencil sketch on vellum. It was done for Other Worlds. Want to see if folks might be interested in buying my original sketches. I do sell quite a few of them at conventions.. but I don’t go to all that many conventions. Plus there are a few other pieces, some more suitable for printing. Check it out:

http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/storn-cook.html

3Cthulhuthing72.jpg

Hi folks. Hope you don't mind some self promotion here.

Trying to figure out a few things as I go along. I'm trying out an experiment with selling originals over the internet. I've got hundreds of sketches and inked drawings kicking around... and I sell some of them at conventions. But they do take up space and if they can find loving homes, and I can make a few bucks... that would be icing on cake!!!

So bear with me as I throw up the occasional older piece to see what will sell and what won't. If you have an suggestions of what you would like to see for sale from art I've put up in the past, don't be shy and shoot me a comment or email.

So, today, I'm putting up this fine inked drawing that I just did a few days ago for sale over at my Fine Art site. Site is here: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/storn-cook.html

The art is this one, you will recognize from the color version I just put up recently. It is a brush ink drawing done on sketch paper. Nuthin' fancy.

WitchDoctorbw100.jpg

Also, while I'm being all self-promote-y, LPJ design just posted another one of my portfolios up. This time fantasy, containing some older stuff as well as some of the recent fantasy pics I've put up here. So, if you want good print quality images, instead of the 72 dpi guys you swipe here, check it out:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=99389

And a NEW pic certainly destined to be in a future fantasy portfolio is right here. Don't say I ain't givin' y'all sumthin' new to ponder!

Elwick72.jpg

Awesome!

In fact I asked the sponsor whether or not I can buy a 'license' to use the images on my Obsidian Portal site. I am sure I will buy the $25 level. But I am willing to buy a bit higher level if I can use the images for my OP site. We are in discussions about that :-)

Storn - that mass of eyeballs and tentacles clinging to a wall. Is that meant to be Lovecraft's "Haunter of the Dark"? It's a terrific pic' date=' anyway.[/quote']

Not specifically. The art direction is "we need something horror to fit in a vertical spot format". And that is what I came up with. But I did pitch to the A.D. as a 'cthulhu thing' and mixed in sorta hammer films gothic rooftop just to muddy the horror waters a bit.

Do you know if they're going to put the monster compilation up for sale anywhere? I don't have the money for all of it now' date=' but I might have some of the money for some of it later. :)[/quote']

I am not sure what the sales model is going to be. I suggest you email them and tell them your concerns.

First up, we have an "indiana jones" like bard. That was in the art brief. I'll let y'all decide if I succeeded.

WilsonF72.jpg

Next up, we have Skip. Skip is single. He is a Mind Flayer (or Illithid among his own kind). He likes walks on the beach during sunny dawns. He loves puppies. He has a steady job as a top notch barber. He plays whist. And Ladies, he is a budding top notch amateur gourmet french cook.

Skip72.jpg

yup. another death tribble production!!

Yup. I'm involved in another Kickstarter project. And folks, I really hope this one gets off the ground, because I really, really want to do the "old school" dungeon module cover for it. I worked up a bit of art for the interior, "The Beast", hopefully to drum up some support for JB Mannon and At The Table games.

Here is the blurb that At The Table provided me:

Within the Devil's Reach is a group of three adventures all set in the backwater town of Devil's Reach. The town was already about as close to hell as you could get but things are getting worse. All three adventures are great intro adventures for the Dungeon World Roleplaying Game. Dungeon World is a light weight game that is focused on delivering an old school, dungeon crawl experience.

Now I haven't had the opportunity to play Dungeon World, but it gets great buzz from Story Games. More importantly to me, my good friend Judd, has really enjoyed running it. From what I can tell, it is D&D old school, but lighter and tightly integrated mechanics with a lot of flavor for each "class" you play. Kinda the best of "old school" combined with "new school" game design. Dungeon World is reasonably priced too, although only available at the moment as a pdf, print is coming out this Gencon.

Here is a link to the kickstarter from At The Table: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1154791902/within-the-devils-reach-dungeon-world-adventures?ref=card

Here is a link to Dungeon World itself: http://www.dungeon-world.com/

And here is my teaser art, "The Beast". I haven't inked in some time for a project that is to remain black and white. I ink all the time for my "superhero style", so it was fun to go back to an old friend and ink this up as a piece of black and white artwork.

Beastbw72.jpg

It is odd how sometimes character concepts and commissions seem to run in similar thematics. I remember getting a few years ago, 3 speedster archtypes in a month. While 2 is not quite a trend, they did sorta tumble into my to do queue at the same time.

First up, we have a samurai for Death Tribble that called for a pretty straight forward treatment in the concept description.

Samurai72II.jpg

Next, we have a character from a Legends of the Five Rings campaign. A monk who started out in the Spider Clan, became disillusioned, and went over to the Phoenix clan. But the white swash is symbolic of Takijiro being of two worlds. (Very similar to my own Tsuntake PC who was of Dragon Clan, but his mom was Unicorn and she died saving a lot of face for the Dragon, so Tsuntake was raised knowing he would go serve Shinjo Shoji of the Unicorn...also a young man of two worlds.)

Takijiro72.jpg

Lastly, for today, I've got another one done for Inkwell's Monster Project kickstart. This time, I got to do a White Dragon. Dragons are tough. So many artists before me have done Dragons, hard to bring your own stamp on it. I think it is informative to show my mistakes and missteps. The first draft of this was rejected by Inkwell and rightly so...although when I had done it, I was too close to it and thought it was fine. I was rather happy with it. But after it's rejection, I started to see its flaws and a talk with my wife about it really cemented that it, well, sucked... and that I needed to do better. So here is the first sketch:

WhDragonsk72.jpg

And here is what a good art director, a good wife, a couple of tossed away sketches, and drawing with chums at a coffee shop can accomplish. In my opinion, so much better. Joe over at Inkwell deserves a lion share of the credit for pointing out a much better wing attach to body arrangement. I also wanted to say that I really enjoy working in light colors sometimes. It is fun to do almost watercolor over pencils digitally.

WhiteDragon272.jpg

Let me know what y'all think...

And here is the link to Inkwell's Monster Project kickstart in case anyone missed it before and are interested: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inkwellideas/monster-stock-art

• 2 weeks later...

Two commissions, but first I wanted to let folks know that 6 supers are up in the latest portfoilo from moi and LPJ designs. So. If you are looking for superheroes (or villains) clipart that is print quality and reasonably priced, look NO further. Well.... look further by clicking on the link provided. This, by the way, is my 15th!!!! portfolio. So thanks to all the patrons who keep my drawing their characters and cranking away.

Here is the link: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=100228

This commission has been done for awhile and goes with the fantasy group that I've posted earlier. But I simply forgot to stuff it onto my photobucket so I could link it here and show it off. I like this one, I felt that young mage as gunfighter was kinda fun concept to play off.

Darius72.jpg

Next is another for patron unstoppable, Death Tribble and it is request for a cheongsam wearing korean (beautiful) martial artist. This was a fun one to do because I was breaking in a new brush pen from Pentel that I picked up that day. To be honest, the paper was bleeding just slightly and I spent a bit more time doing clean up than I liked. But the brush itself, the Pentel GFKp rocked for doing the inking. I usually ink with winter sable kolinkskys from Weber, dipping it in india ink (or sometimes using dip pens too, depends on my mood). But the GFKp (I have no idea what the initials stand for) is a nice portable inking tool.

And since I was working at one of our Thursday coffee shop work sessions, I bought the Pentel GFKp (not easy to type that) at our brand new awesome art store that happens to be right NEXT door to the coffee shop! How cool is that? Well, y'all out there in internet land probably don't care... but I think it is very cool. Went in for a new kneaded eraser and came out with a very cool new tool. By far the best mechanical brush pen I've used.

Anyway, that was waaay too long discussion about my passion over art supplies. Here is the art and I will shut up. Enjoy!

CheongsamF72.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Things have been really, really busy here at Studio Storn. I just spent a wonderful extended weekend in Ohio and Michigan. My step-grandfather passed at 89 in Dayton and he had a wonderful life and a wonderful family. I love 'em to pieces. So, please, no condolences. So, we passed through my old haunts in Michigan on the way to the memorial. Had a wonderful time with Eric, Rick and Neil, my old gaming buds. Had an awesome time at the memorial seeing family I haven't seen in decades. It was a very happy time!

And oddly, the best service in Ann Arbor ever! Way better than when I actually lived there. Kudos to Zingermans and Red Tractor BBQ. Just the nicest folks working there. Millie, my wife, loved Ann Arbor.

Getting back to the studio has been really busy with my NDA project and wrapping up other projects. So I have not been posting anything. I've got a couple of things to lay on ya.

First. I don't do many logos... but Darren Watts asked me to do this one, because I've done Apes for him before. He is starting up a publishing company called Silverback Press. Here is a link to Silverback's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/SilverbackPress

And here is the logo:

Silverbacklogo72.jpg

Next up is a private commission I of a character I believe is in a 7th Sea/ Legends of 5 Rings game.... so I went sorta fantasy-ish in that direction.

Masika72.jpg

Lastly. Another LPJ Portfolio of my clip art work has come out. This one is fantasy, some pics are much more fully illustrated than the single figure, no background thing. A preview is available here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/100689/Image-Portfolio-Platinum-Edition-17%3A-Storn-Cook

So. Yeah. Posting from me is going to slow down a bit, as I won't have tons of new art to show as I work on the new NDA project. Millie's daughter has moved in with us, she will be going to school at Tompkins Cortland Community College for free, where Millie is a professor. And we might have to seek a bigger house. I so love moving.

I know that I have one painting that has been done for a couple of weeks, just waiting on the client to get his ducks in a row, so I can give him some free guerrilla marketing. And I will hopefully get some of the smaller commissions out here and there as we go along. Check back in a few days!