Steve Long

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
Guest dan2448

Re: The Book Of The Destroyer: Didn't Like the Shadow Destroyer

I just finished reading my copy of "The Book of the Destroyer." As a long-time "Champions" fan who owns both 1981's "The Island of Dr. Destroyer" and "The Day of the Destroyer" (which was published over a decade later), I was really looking forward to this volume.

I really liked the history of Dr. Destroyer and the analysis of his motivations, as well as the different stats for him over time. Those sections in particular were, I thought, absolutely excellent.

But I found the description of the Shadow Destroyer and his magical parallel world (as well as the psychic link that he seems to have with Dr. Destroyer) to be both convoluted and jarringly inconsistent with the "tone" of the description of Dr. Destroyer himself. But I am not an MMO player. So I probably won't ever encounter the Shadow Destroyer again.

Also, Dr. Destroyer's super-villain henchmen didn't appear to have any unifying element or theme to tie them together (exept, perhaps, that they were each pressed into serving him on threat of death). This was a fault with the original "Island of Dr. Destroyer" module from almost 30 years ago, too (I thought then as an 11 year-old, as well as now).

Notwithstandign my ambivalence about the Shadow Destroyer, I am looking forward to getting "The Book of the Machine," now that it's just been released, too. I just hope that I don't find the "Champions Online"-related additions and revisions in that book to be as underwhelming as in this one.

Re: The Book Of The Destroyer: Didn't Like the Shadow Destroyer

But I found the description of the Shadow Destroyer and his magical parallel world (as well as the psychic link that he seems to have with Dr. Destroyer) to be both convoluted and jarringly inconsistent with the "tone" of the description of Dr. Destroyer himself.

Well, this is kind of an interim story pending a rebooted storyline. Steve didn't want to just abruptly dump Destroyer's storyline for the MMO's (and didn't want to reveal the details of that, anyway, whatever parts of it he knew), but did want to include Shadow Destroyer. So he created a story that pretty logically (in my opinion, as logical as linking such different characters can be) linked the two of them together. I think the next Champions book will follow the MMO storyline more closely.

Hopefully he'll correct me if I got that wrong in any respect.

From what I can gather, among other differences Dr. Destroyer hasn't been seen since the Battle of Detroit in the MMO, and his return is part of the new storyline. No idea why the character has changed, including the apparent use of magic, but I expect that will be part of the ongoing story. So, the story might be more to your liking if for any reason you ever see him again. For no particular reason other than the concept art, I'm thinking he died and this is some version back from the dead, but I doubt that guess is correct.

Re: The Book Of The Destroyer

Or, "Shadow Destroyer" could be more or less the same in Champions Online as Steve Long presented him in BOTD, just appearing earlier in the universe timeline. Given the way Cryptic seems to be playing up Defender as one of the world's greatest heroes, SD's identity would make for quite a shocking revelation in the MMO.

Champions 3-D 6th Edition

*Champions: Earth 1st Edition - Doctor Destroyer

*Champions: Earth 4th Edition - Doctor Destroyer

*Champions: The New Millennium Universe - Doctor Destroyer (Mystic)

*Champions: Earth 5th Edition - Doctor Destroyer (The Book of the Destroyer)

*Champions: San Angelo Universe - ???

*Champions: Earth The Algernon Universe - ???

*Champions: Empire City Universe - Doctor Destroyer (Reality Storm: When Worlds Collide)

*Champions: Freedom City Universe - ???

*Champions: Earth 6th Edition - ???

*Champions: Strikeforce Universe - ???

Cheers

QM

Or' date=' "Shadow Destroyer" could be more or less the same in Champions Online as Steve Long presented him in BOTD, just appearing earlier in the universe timeline. Given the way Cryptic seems to be playing up Defender as one of the world's greatest heroes, SD's identity would make for quite a shocking revelation in the MMO.[/quote']

I'd be perfectly happy with that, I actually liked the story (alternate universes and time travel have been very very good to me). However, I seriously doubt that they're going to have the reveal of one of their Big Bads happen a year before the game is even released.

Still, you never know, they may be counting on that attitude to cover the fact that this really is the plan :)

• 2 years later...