The Book Of The Destroyer

Steve Long

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Book Of The Destroyer

and the writeup was fairly close to that version

It was surprisingly easy (not to mention fun ;)) to "synch up" the various published versions. I'm betting each author did what I did when I wrote CKC -- he went back to the last version and based his work on that. The result is a fairly consistent step-by-step improvement in Dr. D over the years.

Hopefully the same will hold true for Mechanon. :hex:

It was surprisingly easy (not to mention fun ;)) to "synch up" the various published versions. I'm betting each author did what I did when I wrote CKC -- he went back to the last version and based his work on that. The result is a fairly consistent step-by-step improvement in Dr. D over the years.

:)

To me that was just class - respecting what came before. And using that artwork too. So Kudos to you Steve.

The Manual of Mechanon? Sweet!

To me that was just class - respecting what came before. And using that artwork too. So Kudos to you Steve.

To give credit where it's due -- on the issue of using the old art Andy deserves the kudos. I thought of it, but was reluctant to do it for fear it might be seen as disrespectful. Andy convinced me it wouldn't be, and it seems he was correct. ;)

So the folks who get plastic surgery to look like Dr. Destroyer (The Cult of the Destroyer, pg.194) -- is it to look like him as he was in 1945 (last confirmed photo), as of 1968 (date of mot recent photo claimed to be of him), or as he is now (i.e., erasing their facial features, removing all hair, and getting forehead implants so their head looks like Destroyer's faceless mask/helmet)?

In fairness, this book was pretty good. Why do I say that? Because Doc D is one of my least favorite Champions villains. I had his death(yes the REAL death) be the opening of my current campaign cause I didn't want him in it. Having said, that, the book was quite good. Everything you ever wanted to know about Destroyer. I particularly liked the history section...sprinkled with thought bubbles from the Doctor as the events happened. Great stuff. The legacy stuff also was quite good. In short...so much great material that I plan to have an ursurper take over parts of his former empire just so I can use some of the base and robot and villain writeups. I'm thinking Professor Muerte...someone similiar, but not "quite" the same.

Rob

Who killed Doctor Destroyer?

Inquiring minds want to know?

QM

If you mean in my game, it was a powerhouse I named Paragon, very loosely based on the character of Sovereign from Galactic Champions. Paragon wanted to create a perfect society, one able to stave off the inevitable calamities of Humanity's future(like alien invasions). Of course, in order to achieve this goal, he had to eliminate(in one way or another) anyone with the ability to interfere. Paragon, using his mental powers oh so subtly, orchestrated the Battle of Detroit, making Destroyer think it was his own idea. When Destroyer brought down death on Detroit, it was then..and only then..that he realized his teleportation module had been sabotaged. Bye bye, Doc. Paragon basically steps in...pretending to be Doctor Destroyer(an easy task with his mental powers). And....then my campaign begins... :)

Rob

PS This was about 3 years ago...the game is still running.

So the folks who get plastic surgery to look like Dr. Destroyer (The Cult of the Destroyer, pg.194) -- is it to look like him as he was in 1945 (last confirmed photo), as of 1968 (date of mot recent photo claimed to be of him), or as he is now (i.e., erasing their facial features, removing all hair, and getting forehead implants so their head looks like Destroyer's faceless mask/helmet)?

Whichever one they (or you, as GM planning something fiendish) prefer. ;)

According to the planned 2009 Release Schedule' date=' it will be called [i']The Book Of The Machine[/i].

As long as it's not Mechanon Vista... :D

and thus endeth the thread derailment. Now back to Dr Destroyer-ness.

Without having read the supplement, I think Destroyer has evolved beyond a Dr Doom homage to his own entity. It makes sense- 25 years of development will make a tribute take a life of its own, won't it?

I have to admit, the Shadow Destroyer storyline suggested here intrigues me. I suspect I will pick up the book if only to leanr more about it.

For the most part, my game has been Street Level Supers for my part, so Dr. Destroyer is way over-powered. I'd be interested to see what a Dark Champions conversion might look like. I suspect he'd be more of a Darth Vader or Silvermane style cyborg with a less refined bionic body keeping him alive.

To give credit where it's due -- on the issue of using the old art Andy deserves the kudos. I thought of it' date=' but was reluctant to do it for fear it might be seen as disrespectful. Andy convinced me it wouldn't be, and it seems he was correct. ;)[/quote']

It was a great touch.

jg

I noticed in the section covering Dr. D's views on other individuals that Teleios is not included. While he is mentioned elsewhere, I don't recall those constituting a similar level of information as to how Destroyer views Teleios, what role he might have in mind for the Master of Genetics in his eventual reign, etc.

Overall, the above constitutes a nit-pick as compared to the quality of the content. This is an excellent book, and I echo the classy use of past artwork - it gives credit to those who have gone before in creating and exploring Dr. Destroyer. Kudos to Andy for making the argument, and kudos to Steve for giving Andy the go-ahead.

To give credit where it's due -- on the issue of using the old art Andy deserves the kudos. I thought of it' date=' but was reluctant to do it for fear it might be seen as disrespectful. Andy convinced me it wouldn't be, and it seems he was correct. ;)[/quote']

Okay, kudos to you both.

Disrespectful? To me it is honoring the history of the character.

Once your players defeat Dr. Destroyer, you might as well pack it in. Thwart him, delay him, exile him, sure, but once they defeat him the movie is over and the credits roll. Beating him means that you didn't play his malevolence and intelligence up to full. Dr. D should be played as the guy who made Darth Vader cry.

Mechanon is for the cathartic, smash-to-bits victories. Dr. D is the omega.

I figured that Doctor D was the kind of villain you beat by ruining his plans, not by actually physically pounding into hamburger.

Besides, even if you did, smart money says it was just a Destroyerbot the good Doctor threw at you to keep you occupied ("Superheroes. So predictable.") while he flew off to plan his next scheme.

• 5 months later...

So is Doctor D comfortable with not being able to receive radio/tv transmissions from Earth on Zuflucht (his super-secret base hidden in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter) until 30+ minutes after they're broadcast? It'd make responding to certain thigns nearly impossible.