The Addams Family

Kal'El Wayne

Re: The Addams Family

Saw an article once about how they were the most functional family on television. Mother and father were openly affectionate. The children had daily contact with not only their parents, but their uncle and grandmother as well. The entire family gathered together for meal times, and care was taken to include the children in the mealtime conversation. The parents were actively interested in the children's education, and supportive of their hobbies. Servants were treated with respect, dignity, and courtesy (no one ever neglected to thank Lurch or Thing). Members of the extended family were welcomed with genuine affection, and, if needed, sincere and generous offers of assistance.

(Munsters scored a distant second, losing big points by being so condescending to Marilyn, almost inevitably refered to as "poor unfortunate Marilyn.")

That doesn't surprise me actually. I'd also suspect that Wednesday and Pugsley qualify as the politest children on television as well. They always obeyed the rules set down by Gomez and Morticia after all, rarely got into trouble and always treated their parents with respect.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Pulls noose*

"You rang?"

"Lurch old sport, I've just ordered a base defense robot for these fellows. Until it arrives, would you be so good as to keep an eye on their place for them?"

"Yes, Mister Addams."

"Thank you Lurch. Good man!"

And the best part is, Lurch is probably related to the heroes. Well parts of him anyway. ;)

That doesn't surprise me actually. I'd also suspect that Wednesday and Pugsley qualify as the politest children on television as well. They always obeyed the rules set down by Gomez and Morticia after all' date=' rarely got into trouble and always treated their parents with respect.[/quote']

But remember Pugsley did have some healthy pre-teen rebellion, he joined the Boy Scouts and brought home a -- p-u-p-p-y.

That doesn't surprise me actually. I'd also suspect that Wednesday and Pugsley qualify as the politest children on television as well. They always obeyed the rules set down by Gomez and Morticia after all' date=' rarely got into trouble and always treated their parents with respect.[/quote']

And when they did get into trouble with their school teachers, the parents investigated, decided the children were right, and backed them 100%.

Actually, it's the world that's crazy from their perspective. They're the sane ones. And you know what? If the behavior of the "normal" people around them is any indication, they are probably right.

I'm reminded of another, poorly-regarded series where the universe was so bat-**** crazy that expecting anything at all to happen rationally would be the very definition of insanity. Yet this one character kept persisting in expecting, despite all experience to the contrary, a logical and rational universe. She had to be the least sane character in all of global media!

Actually, it's the world that's crazy from their perspective. They're the sane ones. And you know what? If the behavior of the "normal" people around them is any indication, they are probably right.

I'm reminded of another, poorly-regarded series where the universe was so bat-**** crazy that expecting anything at all to happen rationally would be the very definition of insanity. Yet this one character kept persisting in expecting, despite all experience to the contrary, a logical and rational universe. She had to be the least sane character in all of global media!

what series are you talking about"?

Though it does make him the perfect sponsor for a superteam as he'd be perfectly willing to procure whatever the heroes asked for. Probably wouldn't even think twice about it.

Yes but there's no way of telling when some bizarre rule might cause delay or inconvenience like "No business until next quarter."

Where does the Addams family money come from anyway? Compound interest from one of their long lived ancestors who figured out that he could just save for 200 years and then have the family never work again?

The Addams Family fortune?

Piracy, carefully re-invested into blockade-running, then rum-running, turned over to demolitions and later munitions.

Erm. There was some intermarriage with various embezzlers, frauds, snake-oil salesmen, robber barons and the like, too. So it's not all new money.

Piracy, carefully re-invested into blockade-running, then rum-running, turned over to demolitions and later munitions.

Erm. There was some intermarriage with various embezzlers, frauds, snake-oil salesmen, robber barons and the like, too. So it's not all new money.

I thought that was the Kennedys?

Yes but there's no way of telling when some bizarre rule might cause delay or inconvenience like "No business until next quarter."

Where does the Addams family money come from anyway? Compound interest from one of their long lived ancestors who figured out that he could just save for 200 years and then have the family never work again?

Never said in the series itself (at least' date=' not that I remember). Up to the individual if you go with what was in the movies.[/quote']

Don't recall the specifics, but do recall piracy being implied. And Gomez in a pretty good day trader when he needs to pick up an extra million or so. Remember in those pre-internet days not everyone had a stock ticker in their living room.

It seems like they were rich mostly by virtue of having lots and lots and lots of money. As in so much that even though none of them worked for any longer than a week or so at most, and Gomez constantly bought high and sold low, they still could never spend the interest that they were earning, let alone the rest of the money.

And the whole 'evil' thing is mostly from a few lines in the movies, such as when Morticia says that she only wishes she had more time to join the forces of darkness in their hellish crusade. And the fact that Wednesday 'Christina' Addams is aparrently quite evil, in a way.

And of course there is the fact that they seem oblivious to danger, and happy about pain and death, whether it involves them or strangers. They do play a game at the end of the first movie called 'wake the dead' as the credits are about to start, beginning with taking shovels to the graveyard. And of course, there is the reference to the fact that parts of Lurch apparently came from different places/people.

All of them have the Armor power, probably with the -1/2 does not prevent penetration + one BODY always gets through limit. They survive explosions and other attacks with only minimal visible effects. Rapid healing as well, to look OK again for the next scene.