Doctrine for beginning vampire slayers?

David Blue

Re: Doctrine for beginning vampire slayers?

If I recall correctly (and FWIW wikipedia says I am) I Am Legend is the name of Matheson's novel. Strangely enough, the first movie version with Vincent Price renamed it The Last Man On Earth but it is the one that's closest to the original tale.

More books - check out "Dhampir" et al by Barb and JC Hendee. They deal with a female dhampir and her helf-elf colleague as they find out that vampires are real and they have to stop just playing at vampire hunting. They also have a dog which has been specially "bred" to hunt vampires.

In folklore, black dogs were said to be excellent vampire hunters. You probably want an English Mastiff then. Males can reach 30 inches minimum at the shoulder and reach up to 200 pounds in weight.

The record for dogs is set by Zorba an Englsih Mastiff who reached 37 inches at the shoulder, measured 8 feet 3 inches from nose to tail and weighed 315 pounds. I kid you not.

Flamethrowers. Vampires are vulnerable to them.

Become an ordained minister. Holy water by the bathtub.

Get a pet. Dogs don't like the smell of death.

Get friends. If they are good friends they'll save you. If they are bad friends they will save you.

Make sure you carry a silver, blessed, cold iron sword. That way you can pretty much be sure that whatever jumps you is going to go "Ow" when you stab it.

Avoid all other monsters. You are a vampire hunter. Leave the werewolves and ghosts to werewolf and ghost hunters.

Move as close to the equator as you can. Alaska and Finland are bad places to live.

Military Hardware. Use it if you can. If not steal some so you can use it. I'm pretty sure and M-1 Abrahms will beat a blood sucker.

Get some killer ass theme music. It worked for the Frog Brothers, it can work for you.

If the nerdy red-head girl from your school starts acting sexy DO NOT fall for it. She's a vampire and is going to kill you.

Learn to use a spear. Stakes are all nice but if you can do the same thing from six feet away even better.

Always reload your gun after you fire it. Don't wait for the clip to go empty to reload. You don't see people in Halo waiting to reload.

Learn to use a spear. Stakes are all nice but if you can do the same thing from six feet away even better.

Reminds me of a slightly silly Vampire hunting item I came up with once. The Flame Grill Stake. It's hard to hit the heart in the middle of a frantic close combat so this item bursts into flames when you strike flesh with it, thus distracting the vampire and allowing you to have another go or start running for the hills.

Important points to remember.

Against Vampires whose stakes must be left in permanently this item is counterproductive.

It's very important to make stakes with fire proof handles.

This is best done with magic but a mundane hunter could rig something up with rag and lighter fluid.

I just re-ran the Mob Rule Scenario from the 4th ed Blue Book. The PC's dispersed the Asasinos and had to hunt them down. Stalker was the best equipped to hide in a forgien city, and was (along with buddy Mosquito) the last found. He started turning locals into vampires, keeping the PCs busy. When they finaly found his lair (the basement of the house of a little old religious lady) they did all the right things. Waited until 1pm when the sun was high. The invisible team member scouted. The robot grappled Stalker and shoved him through the wall into the driveway. (After an intense fight (The lady died)) Stunned, Stalker burned up quickly. Mosquito got away again.

I very much liked using Stalker as written, because he is so different from the recent conception of vampires!