Guardian Angel

BoneDaddy

I'm trying to make a variation on Danger Sense, I think. I want my hero to be able to sense when another discreet selected individual is in danger, wherever they are.

Danger Sense needs somne serious modification for this to work, and I don't know if there are advantages and limitations out there that cover it.

As an example, Saint says to Sally "I'll be looking out for you." Thereafter, if Sally is in peril, Saint knows about it and where it is. Later, when Sally's peril is passed, Saint says to Sophie "I'll be looking out for you." Sally's now on her own, but if Sophie is imperiled, Saint will be there ASAPilly.

What say you?

Re: Guardian Angel

Danger sense is not ideal because it is limited in range HOWEVER (and I'm at work so no books) if you MIND LINK first, I vaguely recall that you can use powers throught eh mind link. If you can't (and I may well mis-remember) then you certainly can through Mind Scan.

Other alternatives include building the danger sesne as UBO, so you can 'grant' the danger sense to the target and then have a triggered mind link that goes off when they sense danger.

The advantage of the mind link/mind scan build is that you can potentially interrogate the target to see how dangerous a situation they are in (crossing a road is dangerous...) AND it will probably help to actually find them; all well and good knowing they are in danger if you don;t know WHERE they are in danger.

On that last point you COULD buy a teleport that is globe spanning and set the person who may be in danger as a floating point location so you can almost always get to them or at least very near to them.

Alternatively, built as a sense (and, frankly I would not touch the standard danger sense build with a barge pole if I did not have to) -

Sense danger to specified target AND the specified target: 50 active and real

Detect A Large Class Of Things and Each Extra Thing or Class of Things 14- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Sense, Targeting, Telescopic: +10

Not cheap, but also not real expensive for a signature power. Can't recall how far 10 levels of telescopic will get you, but it is a long way. I think each one is x10, so, assuming no penalties to 4", that is 14- danger sense to 40 000 000 000". That should do.

Danger sense is not ideal because it is limited in range HOWEVER (and I'm at work so no books) if you MIND LINK first, I vaguely recall that you can use powers throught eh mind link. If you can't (and I may well mis-remember) then you certainly can through Mind Scan.

Other alternatives include building the danger sesne as UBO, so you can 'grant' the danger sense to the target and then have a triggered mind link that goes off when they sense danger.

The advantage of the mind link/mind scan build is that you can potentially interrogate the target to see how dangerous a situation they are in (crossing a road is dangerous...) AND it will probably help to actually find them; all well and good knowing they are in danger if you don;t know WHERE they are in danger.

On that last point you COULD buy a teleport that is globe spanning and set the person who may be in danger as a floating point location so you can almost always get to them or at least very near to them.

Alternatively, built as a sense (and, frankly I would not touch the standard danger sense build with a barge pole if I did not have to) -

Sense danger to specified target AND the specified target: 50 active and real

Detect A Large Class Of Things and Each Extra Thing or Class of Things 14- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Range, Sense, Targeting, Telescopic: +10

Not cheap, but also not real expensive for a signature power. Can't recall how far 10 levels of telescopic will get you, but it is a long way. I think each one is x10, so, assuming no penalties to 4", that is 14- danger sense to 40 000 000 000". That should do.

Trouble is it isn't a signature power, and it's damned expensive for a 300 point hero, when you apply the cost/benefit analysis. I can apply limitations until it fits, I suppose, but boy I wish there was a cheaper way. I agree with your build, however.

Maybe Danger Sense UBO, with a threshhold triggered Mind Scan? That would give location, and the fact of the Mind Scan being triggered would indicate the fact of some danger. Still not cheap, darn it all.

What about Clairsentience?

He a religiously themed brick for a dark Champions campaign. He has a pantload of brick tricks and a small Multipower of miracles: Healing, Defensive Aids, and the like. The miracles MP is built on 8 charges for the whole enchillada, since miracles are by definition rare.

So the guardian angel power is a shoe horn into either one. I could fit it in with the instant nature of the charges if I found a creative use of trigger, but I'd need danger sense anyway, since a trigger can't be used as an extra detect.

Can the character also use Danger Sense himself, or is it only for whomever he is "looking out for"?

If both can use it, I'd slap an Any One Mind Mind Link with a Limitation "Only For Danger Sense" (-1/2). Ten Real Points.

If he can't use it himself, I'd hand-wave it as a wash.

If either he can use it except when he's looking out for another, slap UBO +1/4 Advantage on it.

He a religiously themed brick for a dark Champions campaign. He has a pantload of brick tricks and a small Multipower of miracles: Healing, Defensive Aids, and the like. The miracles MP is built on 8 charges for the whole enchillada, since miracles are by definition rare.

So the guardian angel power is a shoe horn into either one. I could fit it in with the instant nature of the charges if I found a creative use of trigger, but I'd need danger sense anyway, since a trigger can't be used as an extra detect.

Well...

Tell me when it hurts 25 active and real

Mind Link , Any Willing Target, Psychic Bond, Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +1/4) (25 Active Points)

Would allow the character to know when someone was in danger. It is not like danger sense in that they would have to perceive that they were in danger (by which time it COULD be too late - but you may not be able to reach them even if you knew immediately before).

If you want more notice then how about precognition?

What will be, may be... 40 Active, 20 Real

Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group) (40 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Only to perceive danger or threats to a target character; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Does not give an immediate result - you have a vision of thedanger but at a time determined by the GM; -1/2)

OR...and this would require GM permission...

Finding Your Way 16 active 14 real

Teleportation 2", Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; Person set as floating location is in danger; +1/4), Safe Blind Teleport (+1/4), MegaScale (1" = 1,000 km; +1), Can Be Scaled Down 1" = 100m (+1/4) (11 Active Points)

PLUS

Teleportation: Floating Fixed Location (1 Locations) (5 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Floating location has to be a person; -1/2)

So for 14 points (16 active) you get shifted to within 100m of the person you are guarding if they are in danger within 2000km of you.

I'm trying to make a variation on Danger Sense, I think. I want my hero to be able to sense when another discreet selected individual is in danger, wherever they are.

Danger Sense needs somne serious modification for this to work, and I don't know if there are advantages and limitations out there that cover it.

As an example, Saint says to Sally "I'll be looking out for you." Thereafter, if Sally is in peril, Saint knows about it and where it is. Later, when Sally's peril is passed, Saint says to Sophie "I'll be looking out for you." Sally's now on her own, but if Sophie is imperiled, Saint will be there ASAPilly.

What say you?

14 Under My Protection: Danger Sense, Sense, Any Type Of Danger, Any Area (42 Active Points) - Only For One Assigned Person At A Time(-2)