Logical Consequences vs. Conscientious Point Allocation

BoneDaddy

Re: Logical Consequences vs. Conscientious Point Allocation

Well, it may just be a waste of points for that attack. For a HKA (range based on STR) or a RKA (same) the OIF may make good sense, and represent the brick's ability to hit you with a car really hard.

Not all power builds make good sense, and I'm inclined to believe this is one of them. I'm having similar suspicions about Rope Reach, from The Ultimate Brick.

And a Naked Trigger on STR - sounds dirty but it looks pretty smart.

Call me mister middle-of-the-road-man*.

*since middleman is already taken :D

While I don't particularly like most of the published Brick Tricks I do appreciate the idea of paying for the ability to consistently use an ability that can otherwise only be justified by use of the Power Skill.

I think there are 2 kinds of STR for Bricks.

1. STR from muscles (Hulk, Thing etc..)

2. STR from somewhere else (contact TK for Byrne's Superman)

Call me mister middle-of-the-road-man*.

*since middleman is already taken :D

While I don't particularly like most of the published Brick Tricks I do appreciate the idea of paying for the ability to consistently use an ability that can otherwise only be justified by use of the Power Skill.

I think there are 2 kinds of STR for Bricks.

1. STR from muscles (Hulk, Thing etc..)

2. STR from somewhere else (contact TK for Byrne's Superman)

I agree with this. It is not 'Brick tricks' that necessarily bug me so much as the RSR limitation which requires insane skill levels to make an ability useable. I'm pretty lax about enforcing requirements on the use of the Power Skill but even so it is nice to have the option to build this stuff. there might be other ways to regulate the use though.

For instance, in the research material, stuff like brick tricks and signature moves rarely fail, but are not used often, maybe once a combat, if that.

4th edition DnD uses the idea of 'encounter powers' - powers you can sue once per encounter/combat. Whilst that is a little too esoteric for me (er, why....?) it is not a bad concept.

Perhaps we could have a limitation 'Limited Window of Opportunity' (not the one we already have, a different one) so, for instance, you can only use a power when entering combat, or when down to single digit STUN, or, oh I don't know, when facing overwhelming odds, when a team mate is defeated - something, in other words, that probably is not going to happen more than about once per encounter (but might, or might not occur).

Anyway. There we go.

4th edition DnD uses the idea of 'encounter powers' - powers you can sue once per encounter/combat. Whilst that is a little too esoteric for me (er' date=' why....?) it is not a bad concept.[/quote']

Surely just an agreed application of the charges limitation?

Doc

Surely just an agreed application of the charges limitation?

Doc

Well that does require some handwaving if you do it with 'straight' charges - how many encounters/day to you have to worry about? You might be able to use recoverable charges (you recover the charge after the encounter) but it feels a little too woolly. Maybe I'm being overly picky.

Well that does require some handwaving if you do it with 'straight' charges - how many encounters/day to you have to worry about? You might be able to use recoverable charges (you recover the charge after the encounter) but it feels a little too woolly. Maybe I'm being overly picky.

My thought would be to use recoverable charges which is only as wooly as any other kind of recoverable charge might be...

After all - recover per encounter is entirely within the control of the GM.

Doc

To some extent, the question of EB from Brick Tricks is just a subset of the whole multiattack topic.

You have a reliable group of standard STR-based attacks for being a Brick.

You _could_ get any additional EB you want, based on the appropriate SPFX, from heat-ray eyes to blaster-rifle to ball-bearings flicked at hypersonic speed.. You choose an EB based on making your character much better at throwing large objects than the standard.

As a benefit of sticking close to the core mechanic, you get an easy-to-accept multipower.

Back in the day, having more than one useful attack was 'encouraged' but also discouraged, too. Why pay points to do damage two ways, when you can only do damage once per phase?