Naked Advantage/Adder and Limitations

Lord Liaden

Question

Nah, just looking for an excuse to hang around here. :P But seriously...

As I understand the rules, a Naked Advantage or Adder automatically has all the Advantages and Limitations of the Power it's attached to, without buying them for itself. But does that mean if someone doesn't want the Naked modifier to have all the Advantages of the Power, he can take a Limitation on the Modifier?

For example, I buy my Character Flight, Usable Underwater. I want the character to fly faster in air than under water, so I purchase Improved Noncombat Movement for Flight as a Naked Adder. Does the Adder bought this way automatically work underwater, and if I don't want it to can I give it the Limitation, Not Underwater?

Insights appreciated. :)

1 answer to this question

Re: Naked Advantage/Adder and Limitations

OK, I think I see the source of the confusion.

The text on 5Er 245, pertaining to naked Advantages for a single power, states:

Characters calculate the cost of a naked Advantage for only one power differently. In that case, recalculate the cost of the base power as if it normally had the naked Advantage. After you have that new cost, subtract the cost of the base power to determine the cost of the naked Advantage. All Advantages and Limitations applicable to the base power automatically apply to and/or function with the naked Advantage, but do not alter its cost.

All that means, really, is that the base power + naked Advantage aren't a separate power; the base power and all its Power Modifiers, including the naked Advantage, function together as a whole. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some GM out there claiming that the other Power Modifiers had to be bought separately for the naked Advantage. You could, as you describe, Limit a naked Advantage so that it doesn't apply in all situations when the base power would function, unless the GM rules otherwise.