Noob Question

Kordamar

Re: Noob Question

I have a noob question (as you may have noticed, heh). My character has an 18 strength and he's going to hit a bad guy with a baseball bat.

What would my damage be? I'm not certain...

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum boards!

Damage from Strength is calculated by Strength (STR) divided by 5 or (STR/5). Full d6 and 1/2d6 are used. So, your STR damage would be 3 1/2d6. Now, if the baseball bat adds to the STR damage, your total damage could be higher.

ex. Your STR does 3 1/2d6 damage. Assuming the baseball bat does +2d6 Hand Attack (HA). Your total damage is 5 1/2d6.

OK, let's assume the bat is a club (4d6). Find the STR Minimum on the Club. I'll assume it's 8 for simplicity. That is the STR you need to use just to swing the weapon effectively and get the 4d6 damage.

Subtract the STR Min from your STR. In my example, that leaves 10. 10 STR would do 2d6 STR, so that adds to the 4d6 base damage of the weapon, for 6d6.

A final note: the base damage of the weapon can be doubled, but no more, with additions from STR, skill levels, etc. So even if you had a 48 STR, the bat caps out at 8d6.

Oh that makes a LOT more sense. So I just need to figure out what damage a Baseball Bat does. I have skill levels to hit with it, (+3 with a single attack), but those don't add to damage as far as I know.

So I need to find the damage and strength minimum for a baseball bat. Is that printed somewhere? Or is that something my GM will need to provide.

Hugh has covered the principles perfectly. I've had a look and I think the STR min for a club is 10 and for a great club it is 15 so you'd add (18-10)= 8 STR (or 1 1/2 d6 damage/ 1.5 damage classes) to a club, for a total of 5 1/2 d6 and (18-15)=3 or (1/2d6 damage/ 0.5 damage classes) to a great club for 6 1/2d6 damage.

OK, let's assume the bat is a club (4d6). Find the STR Minimum on the Club. I'll assume it's 8 for simplicity. That is the STR you need to use just to swing the weapon effectively and get the 4d6 damage.

Subtract the STR Min from your STR. In my example, that leaves 10. 10 STR would do 2d6 STR, so that adds to the 4d6 base damage of the weapon, for 6d6.

A final note: the base damage of the weapon can be doubled, but no more, with additions from STR, skill levels, etc. So even if you had a 48 STR, the bat caps out at 8d6.

Unadvantaged Hand Attacks do not have the "can only be doubled" rule.

Advantaged Hand Attacks and any Killing Attack can be no more than doubled by additional STR.

Unadvantaged Hand Attacks do not have the "can only be doubled" rule.

Advantaged Hand Attacks and any Killing Attack can be no more than doubled by additional STR.

Actually, that applies only in a Supers game. The OP indicated he is in a heroic game.

A heroic character' date=' on the other hand, can only increase the club's damage with STR exceeding its STR minimum or the other methods described below. In any event, the standard "no more than double" rule applies - he can't make a club (4d6 Normal Damage) do more than 8d6 Normal Damage.[/quote']

Hold on guys, you're mixing versions and potentially confusing the guy. Weapons were built a little differently in 4e than they are in 5e. The DC stacking rules are a little different too. For that matter, and related, Hand Attack changed between 4th and 5th too. It's pretty close (and in this particular case I think its all a wash), but let's not confuse the noob. Is he playing in a 4e or 5e campaign?

That aside, as to a baseball bat...what kind of club is it REALLY?

A 5e Club is 4d6 N STR Min 10. And a Great Club is 6d6 N STR Min 15 as noted by previous posters.

However, baseball bats _can_ be wielded with 1 handed, so the War Club seems a better fit to me. This is a 5d6 N STR Min 12 weapon. If you use it 1 handed the STR Min is a 14.

The 18 STR character in this case could wield a War Club to do 6d6 two handed or 5 1/2 d6 one handed, though to be honest I personally wouldn't bother with a 1/2 die over 1 point of STR for one-handing it and would just make it 6d6 period.

It's funny, I was just asking about this for my pbp game.

I had assumed that a Baseball bat would have been on the Dark Champions Equipment List, then thinking of the Capone Scene from The Untouchables checked Pulp Hero, thoughts of nails driven through bats led me to Post Apocalypse which lacked both nailed and unnailed bats. Slightly frustrating.

Settled on 4d6N, Str Min 8, 1 1/2 handed.

Correct the skill levels with 'baseball bat' only add to OCV. Your game master may have to give you the stats for baseball bat, I don't remember seeing it specifically listed in any of the tables of melee weapons.

If you bought 3pt levels (which would be a broader class of bashing objects - maybe all sports related club like objects (golf clubs, cricket bats, etc) or just all clubs) then you can use 2 skill levels to add 1 damage class (DC) which for a normal attack (like the baseball bat (rather than killing attack like a knife) is the same as adding 1d6. When using the skill levels to add to damage you can not at the same time use them for OCV, but you can change how they are allocated at the beginning of your phase.

Oh that makes a LOT more sense. So I just need to figure out what damage a Baseball Bat does. I have skill levels to hit with it, (+3 with a single attack), but those don't add to damage as far as I know.

So I need to find the damage and strength minimum for a baseball bat. Is that printed somewhere? Or is that something my GM will need to provide.

I'd go with 3D6 and 8 STR min, it doesn't take a lot of strength to wield a baseball bat and it does a lot of damage. As a side note, most strength mins on melee weapons are too high, they were made for normal human beings to use comfortably in most cases (other than really huge weapons like a longbow).