Brainstorming: Enforcers of the Scarlet Moon (spoilers below)

Lord Liaden

The following post and thread contains Game Master information about the Circle of the Scarlet Moon. Anyone who doesn't want to learn some of their secrets should stop reading now, or you have only yourselves to blame. :P

As presented in Champions Universe and Arcane Adversaries, the Circle of the Scarlet Moon is supposed to be one of the largest and most influential magic villain organizations. It's much more low-key than DEMON, using subtle magic to quietly accumulate financial and political power. Its conspiratorial motif and vast noncombat influence make it an excellent potential foe for heroic pulp or modern-day campaigns that feature the supernatural. However, IMO it fits rather uncomfortably with the rest of the Champions Universe. While the Scarlet Moon can harass superheroes very effectively out of combat, their mystics and other members lack the magical combat power to stand up even to most starting superheroes, which tends to deprive PCs of one of the great satisfactions of the genre: the chance to finally stomp the bad guys, especially bad guys who've been plaguing them.

The Circle's discreetness is one of its distinctive elements, and I certainly believe there's room in a supers world for villains who don't normally soil their hands in slugfests with costumed do-gooders. OTOH even the most seasoned conspirators sometimes have to resort to force, and in a super world that can demand supervillains.

Within official CU continuity, Martika and Roger Duquesne used special rituals to imbue their twin daughters Bethany and Pamela (now Witchcraft and Talisman) with great magical potential, which they intended the girls to use in the service of the Circle of the Scarlet Moon. Of course things didn't turn out that way, but their example leads me to wonder what other attempts to create or recruit super-class operatives the Circle might have attempted. I doubt they would build an attention-gathering villain brigade, but a relatively small number of loyal supervillains could come in very handy.

Looking at the structure of the Scarlet Moon, it strikes me that the thirteen Archdruids of the High Coven, leaders of the Circle, would each probably like to have at least one superhuman enforcer in their service. Since rivalry and intrigue is a significant part of Circle internal politics, I wouldn't expect these agents to be organized as a single team. However, archdruids might "rent" their enforcers to colleagues who needed more muscle, or pool them against a threat to the Circle as a whole.

There are quite a few official mystic villains who would probably work for the Scarlet Moon at least temporarily, but IMO it would make sense for the Circle to want to create agents whose first loyalty was to them, rather than their money. Since the leaders of the Circle practice diverse magic traditions and propitiate a variety of deities, the range of such operatives could be quite large. Because of that, I thought it might be fun to invite my fellow Champsfiles to turn their imaginations to generating such supers. I have a few ideas of my own, but I always get a lot of pleasure out of seeing what my creative colleagues come up with.

To help start ideas flowing, I'll give a quick rundown of the prominent Scarlet Moon members besides the Duquesnes who have been mentioned in Champions Universe and The Mystic World, and their relevant backgrounds. For convenience let's assume that each one belongs to a separate "lodge" (the network of covens led by an Archdruid) and is the main contributor to the creation or recruitment of their lodge's enforcer. These members don't total thirteen, so there's certainly room for other suggestions. OTOH the thread won't be a failure if we don't make that number. ;)

James Abbot is a master of necromancy. He's also apparently learned much defensive magic, since he fears he's being stalked by Takofanes.

Iwalani Kapulika is Hawaiian, and maintains a remarkably youthful body despite her advanced years through youth spells.

Walter Musgrave reenacts the cannibalistic rituals that Native Americans once performed in the cave beneath his Texas mansion.

Michaela Sorenson was once a student of Dennis of South Mallon (aka Dark Seraph), and continues to study him and his magic from afar.

Eric Marberg propitiates the pagan Celtic gods, uses Celtic-themed artifacts, and casts spells through the weaving of cords or twigs.

Dr. Herbert Rush is a psychiatrist and well-known pop psychologist, and a master of the art of "Fascination" (magic hypnosis through an object).

Marcella Latour is Canadian ambassador to a West African country, where she studies African folk magic and magically subverts the government.

Henrik Van Dieriks magically influences his fellow politicians in the European Union, and is one of the Circle's most devoted Satanists.

Clarissa Thorp is a media spin doctor for the Circle. She propitiates the Norse goddess Freya and practices the divinatory art of seidhr.

Re: Brainstorming: Enforcers of the Scarlet Moon (spoilers below)

A quick pass, I'll give the others some more thought.

James Abbot is a master of necromancy. He's also apparently learned much defensive magic, since he fears he's being stalked by Takofanes.

First thought would be a powerful undead; vampire or Lich. That leads to the idea of a dead hero or villian, Perhaps Abbot has managed to animate the Black Mask I or The American Eagle as his Zombie (Modern Fast/Smart Zombie) Enforcer. (Note: I'm only casually familiar with CU trying to draw from sketchy memories)

Adventure Ideas:

Abbot's looking to upgrade - A rescently dead hero or villian of great power's body disappears. There was an Organ Donor thread kicking around maybe Abbot needs all the bits: Rescipients are gaining superpowers, there's something there though it may be a bit darker than four color.

His current enforcer's beginning to rebel, Could be it's soul's fighting or maybe it's been reincarnated with some memories returning (puberty, adulthood, trauma) Maybe one of the current players is the reincarnated former hero and starts seeing through it's eyes, maybe a DNPC instead.

Iwalani Kapulika is Hawaiian, and maintains a remarkably youthful body despite her advanced years through youth spells.

Her lover, Duke Kahanamoku having had his youth restored and the promise of immortality he does her will. Highly athletic, magically enhanced, willing to take risks. He makes an excellent foil for an Athletic/Skilled based hero.

Walter Musgrave reenacts the cannibalistic rituals that Native Americans once performed in the cave beneath his Texas mansion.

Doesn't need an enforcer per say, the act of cannibalism has given him incredible abilities (Strength, Speed, Stealth) Very Wendigoesque - He probably would say Wihtikowiw (Eats greedily). He has also learned the ability to Spirit Walk - Separate out parts of himself, to send the Wihtikowiw out to do his bidding.

Adventure Ideas:

The Wendigo portion of himself has become more powerful and has learned to leave without Musgrave's permission. It's on a killing spree and musgrave is fading away without those parts the Wendigo took. He needs the hero's help and they need his to stop the beast.

Dr. Herbert Rush is a psychiatrist and well-known pop psychologist, and a master of the art of "Fascination" (magic hypnosis through an object).

NPC Hero has subscribed to Dr Rush's brand of Pop Psychology, has even been on his show advocating his efficacy. Guess who's Rush's new enforcer?

Adventure Ideas:

I think the paragraph above says it all.

Marcella Latour is Canadian ambassador to a West African country, where she studies African folk magic and magically subverts the government.

Which West African country makes the world of difference both with the nature of the political subversion and the nature of Conjure that Marcella would be using.

If I was just going to pick one I'd go with Sierra Leone, that gives you Temne natives (For Kurumasaba and Secret Societies)and Mercenaries a-go-go. That would make Latour a good choce for hiring a Super Enforcer. So I'd go with Fatmata, a minor sorceress capable of taking on animal aspects and her team of mercenary soliders as Latour's Enforcer(s)

Eric Marberg propitiates the pagan Celtic gods, uses Celtic-themed artifacts, and casts spells through the weaving of cords or twigs.

Too...many...possible...ideas...so...much...bad...Celtic...Myth

Lets grab a page from Jacques Vallee. Marberg's assassin/enforcer is Elga (The Faerie's Spear). Eric believes that he has successfully bound one of the Fae to serve him; In reality Elga is a Fae but they are an alien race, she is serving Marberg as a enforcer but she is also scouting the Earth for an impending invasion.

Adventure idea:

Elga's 'other' job has drawn unwanted attention to The Scarlet moon and Marberg's activites. She's managed to make it seem as if one of the other leaders, Iwalani seems a good choice. Now the Moon has begun to move against her and her people. This war is beginning to spill into the streets and the heros need to figure out what's going on to stop the mystical bloodletting before the release of magics accidently trips off an arcane disaster or the Fae use this as an opportunity to invade.

These members don't total thirteen, so there's certainly room for other suggestions. OTOH the thread won't be a failure if we don't make that number. ;)

Balthus Angeleater is the self proclaimed Wickedest Man of All Time the author of numerous books, instructional videos and taped lectures on the nature of chaos magic. His parties/orgies are legendary worldwide and his mansions(scattered about on the outskirts of major cities across the globe) are havens for all manner depravity and perversion. He is also well known as a fraud and a charletin. The subject of several investigations by serious mystics Balthus has never shown an ounce of magical ability and his books, lectures and videos are complete and total bunk. The Angeleater is one of the Moon's biggest moneymen and they like using him as a lightning rod and diversion to help mask their activites. Balthus has a secret though. Balthus is a puppet, controlled by one of his apparently syncophantic hanger's on. Jaques Crochet is the power behind the Angeleater as he was behind the Great Beast and others before him. Crochet has walched the world since time began seeking to corrupt humanity...

Breakfast behind me so what did I miss...

Michaela Sorenson was once a student of Dennis of South Mallon (aka Dark Seraph), and continues to study him and his magic from afar.

I know nothing about Dark Seraph so I have little to offer. Sounds like Shadow Magic of some kind so I would suggest a Snake Person/Demon/Super calling themselves Rahu. Maybe things can get out of hand when he/she/it tries to eat the sun.

Henrik Van Dieriks magically influences his fellow politicians in the European Union, and is one of the Circle's most devoted Satanists.

This screams Demon, so it should absolutely not be a demon. Assuming he's been at it for a while I would suggest he or his father were involved with a WWII German super soldier eugenics program. His Enforcers are the adult and trained results of the ongoing project. Der Spinne Teufel, a collection of fine Aryan Satanists trained as Commandos, Diplomats, etc. Whatever Van Dieriks needs.

Clarissa Thorp is a media spin doctor for the Circle. She propitiates the Norse goddess Freya and practices the divinatory art of seidhr.

Thorp can be her own thug. Seidhr involves a lot of trance work, so like Musgrave maybe she can create her own spiritual enforcer.

After seeing the power of the Dark Paladin first hand, Abbot decides he needs a way to defeat such a powerful enemy. And when fighting someone from the middle ages, who better to use then another from the Middle ages?

Using sources that tell of a long dead Emglish family of Mystics on rival with the Morphants of France, the Warwicks. Finding a crypt holding one of their greatest wizards, Marcus Warwick deep under ground an old manor that was in possession of one of the Circle.

Reviving him to life and binding him to his will, he prooved incredibly adept at magic, using spells forgotten since the ancient days. There was only one slight problem.

The Warwicks were rivals to the Morphants, but they weren't evil. They were a family of good wizards, and Marcus himself was a member of the ancient Trismegistus Council.

So far this hasn't been a problem, he has obeyed his master in almost all fashions, and betraying ancient secrets of the council. But he does show more resistanse then any undead James has ever summon before, most vividly in his refusal to kill. The Circle fears what would happen if this powerful wizard managed to escape control.

While visiting England on a buisness trip to further his investment branch, he found himself haunted by dreams of men in animal colts, walking among the trees. They asked him to visit the forests near Alton Village and cut down one of the branches of the tree, and planting it in grave of a great mystic and feeding it with virgin's blood instead of water. He would recive a powerful servent to aid him.

Taking the branch and planting it near a crypt of the prievious Archdruid, he did this act for three months. But to his amazement, he found as he did so the branch grew into a 12 ft tall humanoid, who spoke to his master telapathicly.

Finally the creature left the ground it was on, and served his master as the Trent. With the ability to control plants and brick like qualities itself, it has only helped to make it's master an even more powerful threat to to the other archdrids, as well as the world.

Who the druids were, and why they have such an interest in Eric is not known.

We have all the books and a free PDF download, we know things that Michaela Sorenson can never imagine. What are those crowns? They don't look medieval, or Roman. No ancient text mentions "Krim." The demons she summons know only that he is a "demon god of ages agone."

What does that even mean?

Gradually, Michaela has found herself drawn to ideas so insane that she can't even bring them up around her colleagues. There was another age before this, perhaps many. The evidence is there, buried deep.

On the one hand, she keeps reading the oldest incunabula she can find. On the other hand, wherever scientists dig deep, she's there. She had a hand in Jason Dixon's experiments.

That didn't end well.

Currently her hopes rest on a subtle corrupting spell she cast on seismologist Lincoln Connors, aka Sargon. She is also interested in Geo, and is looking for the spells to propitiate Terrayne.

Someday, she will dig, and she will find a crown of her own. Spirits whisper warnings to her, of "the Elder Worm" and "Kal Turak," of lost Lemuria. But spirits lie, and she and South Mallon will be reunited.

Garrett Twain has no use for the dead, but the living, when they are breathing their last, are succulent and generous with their mystical energies. He has scads of procurers, some willing, some enslaved and some ignorant, who scour the globe catching breath. There is Ketch, the hooded horror of London town. Crossroads thinks he is forstalling the Kali-Yuga but he has been subverted and only feeds Twain. The Cradlerobber, a feline skinchanger with claws that scratch, sneaks in to unwarded nursery windows for a snack or an occasional gorging. Lynch, a mob by himself, hunts for the oppressed and unwary hoping to placate his demons with offerings left swinging from a tree.

I have a couple for you.

Selena Umbra - Italian heiress and 60's glamor queen (think an Italian Janice Dickerson). When she began to show signs of aging she made a deal with a gypsy woman (actually stole the gypsies powers). To stay young she must drain the life energy from young women. She's not a big threat mystically but she is very famous, wealthy and has an in to almost any social station in the world.

Tariq Al-Set - An Egyptian recluse who has a fascination with all things mystic and of a Egyptian nature. He is has a vast knowledge of magic and is capable of some very biblical effects. He craves Egyptian artifacts. He is in truth one of the pharaohs priests that was defeated by Moses 9of the Bible).

The demons she summons know only that he is a "demon god of ages agone."

What does that even mean?

Someday, she will dig, and she will find a crown of her own. Spirits whisper warnings to her, of "the Elder Worm" and "Kal Turak," of lost Lemuria.

Are you thinking some sort of field controller for a Shoggoth? Tap into the Ancients places of power, raise a servitor and tele-operate the creature?

Oooh!

Are you thinking some sort of field controller for a Shoggoth? Tap into the Ancients places of power, raise a servitor and tele-operate the creature?

Oooh!

My idea was actually of someone as ignorant as a real world person would be of the real ancient history in back of the Crowns of Krim. She's a Satanist, not a Bermuda Triangle nut. If you asked her, she would explain that, having ruled out known histy, this stuff must go back to "Atlantis, or Lemuria, or something like that. Yeah, I know. You think I'm one of those crazy cultists. But it's the only explanation!" So if she can just get someone to do some really deep digs, she'll find the remnants of this lost "Atlantean Age" and get her hands on a Crown. That there might be other, more dangerous things still, down there, she will not accept or admit.

Also, she might be the NPC who sents the players back to the Turakian Age, just to have a look around.

Your idea, though, is both cool and scary.

All right, I'll get to the other posts in a bit, but I thought it was about time I throw out some of the things that came to me.

James Abbot: the obvious choice for a necromancer is some type of undead, but for that reason I would prefer to try something different. Also, Abbot fears the attention of Takofanes, who is unmatched at bending the undead to his will, and likely to attack through unliving minions. My thought was that Abbot might propitiate the Egyptian god Anubis, protector of the dead, to bestow some of his power on a human avatar. "The Jackal" could have powers similar to those of the supervillain Anubis (Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks) and the heroic god-avatar Ma'at (Champions Worldwide), probably at a lower level; but with extra offensive, defensive and sensory powers only vs. the undead. Mind you, Anubis is not a malevolent god, so he might object to some of the uses Abbot might want for his enforcer.

Michaela Sorensen: for the Fourth Edition version of the mystic supervillain team The Devils Advocates, their leader Demonologist tried to recruit Dark Seraph, but their two egos couldn't coexist on the same team. So Demonologist created his own version, a human transformed by black magic and sacrifice into a similar but less-powerful demidemon, Apollyon, whom he kept in line with the threat of taking away his demonic powers. I think this concept would be logical for a mystic with Sorensen's long history with the present Dark Seraph.

Eric Marberg: there are many Celtic traditions and creatures with potential here - the bestiary in Tuala Morn alone holds several possibilities. However, one concept already written up as a resource for the Circle of the Scarlet Moon is a Wicker Man, based on the old Gaulic practice of sacrificing or executing people within a giant human-shaped wicker cage set afire. The Scarlet Moon version is a self-immolating wicker golem. Given Marberg's specialty and the "weaver" Special Effect of his magic, I could see him creating a stronger, smarter and more permanent Wicker Man. It could also logically possess some plant control powers, like those of Thorn (Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks)

Dr. Herbert Rush: I'm of two minds on this one. One concept I find appealing is for Rush to combine enchantment and brainwashing to turn a human into a real-life version of one of those obsessive, unkillable "mad slashers" from the movies, like Jason Voorhees. HERO System Bestiary has a write-up for "The Slasher" which would only need pumping up to superheroic levels.

OTOH The Mystic World mentions "atavisms", creatures materialized on the Astral Plane out of intense emotions, both positive and negative. The Fourth Edition version of this material, in Ultimate SuperMage and Ultimate SuperMage Bestiary, describes atavisms in more detail. Some can be quite powerful, projecting psychic powers from the Astral Plane (using the "Transdimensional" Advantage) to affect people on the physical plane, especially mentally. I'm picturing Dr. Rush torturing the patients in a mental asylum to craft an atavism of hatred and fear which he can dispatch to torment his enemies.

Henrik Van Dieriks: as a Satanist, it's logical for Henrik to summon some type of demon to serve him, but as with James Abbot I prefer something a little less cliche. Then I remembered a Fourth Edition Champs villain from Creatures of the Night called Razor Girl, a cute little ten-year-old possessed by a demonic master of blades, which would likely come as a disturbing and lethal surprise to most people. One of the more loathsome details mentioned about Van Dieriks is that he uses his influence to protect the largest pedophile ring in Europe; so it would make sense for him to combine two of his major interests. :eg:

Clarissa Thorp: as a worshipper of the Norse goddess Freya, who in some accounts was considered the leader of Odin's choosers of the slain, the Valkyries, the most obvious recourse for her would be to have the spirit of a Valkyrie possess a mortal host. You'd probably end up with a super-strong warrior woman type, like certain comic-book precedents. ;) I wanted to do some more research into the Valkyries to see what other abilities might be attributed to them.

Iwalani Kapulika, Walter Musgrave, and Marcella Latour: Again, I wanted to do more research into each of the cultural traditions they study to see what seemed promising before I made suggestions.

I will get to everyone else's posts, I promise. :o

Well certain things you should remember about them.

1. They did not ride horses. That is a myth. They rode packs of wolves. We can only assume they flew.

2nd. They possesed magical weaponry, usually a spear. For tactics I suggest they like using move throughs while on horses using the spears, but they are just as likely to throw it.

3rd. There were two types of famous valkyries. There are those who love battle and specialise in war. And there are those who know magic (which also relate to war). Decide which you think is more appropriate for the character.

1. They did not ride horses. That is a myth. They rode packs of wolves. We can only assume they flew.

Am I the only one that found the phrase "They did not ride horses. That is a myth." in relation to Valkyrie amusing? As if "They rode packs of wolves." isn't a myth.

Sorry poor choice of words. I mean the translation 'valkyrie horse' meant wolf.

Here is the quote:

However, valkyrie horse was a kenning for wolf (see Rök Stone), so contrary to the stereotype, they did not ride winged horses. This would suggest that their mounts were rather the packs of wolves that frequented the corpses of dead warriors. They were gruesome and war-like.

I apologize for the amusing blunder.

Some myths tell of valkyries that fell in love with earthly warriors.

I'm thinking of a daughter of a valkyrie, who has parts of her powers and parts of her father's powers (assuming he was a mutant superhero).

Perhaps she rides a...moose?

A couple of other super-villain options suggest themselves for the enforcer of someone who worships Freyja, based on her famous possessions as detailed in the Eddas.

She possessed a cloak of feathers that would allow her (or anyone she lent it to) to transform into a falcon. Maybe an avian shape-shifter, or a Viking weapon-themed Hawkman or Hawkwoman analog would work.

Freyja also possessed an amazingly valuable necklace named Brisingamen, which was the macguffin in a struggle between Loki and Heimdall. While I don't know that a literal jeweled necklace that inspires awe and greed among onlookers would make a good basis for a character concept, maybe the name could be applied to an armored terrorist whose battle suit is gilded like the early Iron Man armor.

More on Freya:

-she rode on a boar named Hilisvini: that boar could be given to her highpriest on Earth Clarissa Thorp; maybe with the ability to transform into a man of raw power, acting as a bodyguard and enforcer

-her daughters were Hnoss and Gersimi: these two women could act as Freya's ambassadors on Earth; maybe they are even jealous of Clarissa's position as highpriest (lots of possibilities here)

-Friday was named after her: give her enforcer a power boost on Fridays

Hey, I know at the rate we are going Lord Liaden won't be able to go through all this, but I have 2 more to offer. I thought them up after some studying:

Eric Rundell: An orphan on the roads of Greece he was found with no memory and only a vine leaf in his hand. As he grew up he became obsessed with Dionysus, Trying to follow his more destructive side of life, the drunken angered side. In time he joined the Circle of the Scarlet Moon, and became a very high member. He didn't have a lot of magic, a few ritualistic spells but not much.

One day however he discovered a spell that allowed him to contact the realm of the Ancient Greek Pantheon. Using the spell he entered a deep trance and went there. He found himself in a forest far larger then any on earth. But the forest was not empty. It was filled to the brim with larger then life animals, all savage creatures. He was lucky to not be eaten.

He found in the forest what appeared to be a man, covered in white fur and a beard that reached his ankle. He was playing his double flute, and had a vine bound around his ankle. When he saw the man he said, "Help me, young one. I am the last Silenos, grandfather of the Satyrs. Release me from my bind and I will unleash the true potential of my liege, Oh Dionysus."

Taken in by his honeyed words, Dionysus released him from the vine. The Silenos smiled and played a simple tune on his double flute. Then Dionysus started to change. He became taller, handsomer and wilder. Silenos smiled. "Now you have a form fit for your status my liege."

When he awoke from his trance, he found the Silenos had followed him. With a powerful servant on his side, he easily climbed to the top and became an Archdruid.

Now while he retains his mind, Dionysus (as he likes to be called now) is obsessed with his new status as a God. His powers have increased, but not much. His greatest power is his ability to enter the Savage forests and bring some creature back with him. However he is incredibly vulnerable while in the forest, his body is comatose and he can't control the creature when he comes back. But his servant Silenos would never let something bad happen to him. Would he?

Silenos: Born in the age of the ancient greek gods, he served them loyally and with praise. He swore himself to Dionysus and his offspring the Saturs as his followers. Thus he was truly outraged when he saw that the Gods were leaving. They said the magic was running out here, and they could no longer control the humans. They would leave them to make their own destiny.

Silenos would not accept this. His master deserved to rule these pathetic mortals. He could rule these mortals. He took his double pipe and commanded the savage men he had made to attack earth’s heroes, the bringers of the new age. But the heroes fought back valiantly and defeated Silenos. One of their priests sent Silenos to a prison realm where he would be bound for all time. The realm would be unreachable by Earth, unless somehow the magic levels returned to Ancient times.

In his prison, Silenos grew angry and resentful at the humans and especially his old master Dionysus who had abandoned him. He used his pipe to make all the animals savage and dangerous, killing each other to please him. But he bored of that. He knew he had to leave, but only someone from the Mortal realm could do so. But no one was stupid enough to come here.

But one did come. This foolish man, oh Silenos could tell what was on the man’s mind. He wanted power, respect. And he could tell the man understood and respected the old gods. He could use him.

With his pipe he released part of the man’s savage side. And he could barely stop himself from laughing at the irony. The man’s savage side was a bull, the sign of Dionysus! Big and strong, the horns did not come but he could easily make them.

Free from that realm he aids this man in his quest for power, giving him minions to fight these new heroes, just as powerful as the ones from his time but far more ridiculous. But in time Silenos’ true plan will come to fruition. He will destroy all of Civilisation and begin again with him as the new God!

Powers and tactics: Silenos is very fast and wise, even for Satyrs (use the satyr in Hero system Bestiary page 112) But he posseses two adition powers in the form of his double flute. One, he can mind control all forms of wild creatures, animal or alien beast. He has another spell all Satyrs have that effect humans as well, but it is very limited in commands (Go away and forget about me, run away in fear or come and dance).

But it is his seconds power which is the most dangerous. He can turn men in savage half men half animals, by releasing them from their inabitions.

The animal depends on the person (joyful drinkers become Satyrs, cruel and vindictive people become harpies etc) but they do retain any super powers they once had. But they might be unable to use it, because they are far more wild and less bound by the rules. He can control these far more easily with his pipe because they are savage. (A variable transform)

The spell doesn’t work on aliens and constructs because he doesn’t know the tune for that species and because constructs don’t have a ‘wild side’.

A dangerous duo don’t you agree?

• 1 month later...

Iwalani Kapulika is Hawaiian' date=' and maintains a remarkably youthful body despite her advanced years through youth spells.[/quote']

She's one character I'd like to get more info on, esp. from someone who read Scott Cunningham's book on Hawaiian magic and the black magic used by some kahunas to steal life?

Hmm, demon-worshipping Tonkawas! (Who really were a Texas tribe who engaged in cannibalism. There was a tribe living in the Lousiana bayous that is supposed to have done the same thing.)

A West African country like Lugendu, maybe?

Another character I'd like to see some work on, as I'm big on Norse magic and seidhr.

Hmm, talking superhuman enforcers, couldn't any member of the Circle just hire some superthug with their cash, possibly reinforced with some subtle mind control? You'd think they'd prefer to stay away from openly magical flunkies, as it might draw too much attention. ("Say, Defender, why does Senator Baalzebul keep sending invoked demons against us?")

Which West African country makes the world of difference both with the nature of the political subversion and the nature of Conjure that Marcella would be using.

If I was just going to pick one I'd go with Sierra Leone, that gives you Temne natives (For Kurumasaba and Secret Societies)and Mercenaries a-go-go. That would make Latour a good choce for hiring a Super Enforcer. So I'd go with Fatmata, a minor sorceress capable of taking on animal aspects and her team of mercenary soliders as Latour's Enforcer(s)

Okay, who are these Kurumasaba guys or the Temne? That said, this sounds like some good material here, thanks for sharing.