Cursed Item

Vanguard00

Heya, folks.

I can't seem to wrap my head around how to do this:

I want a cursed item. The amulet will provide a variety of defenses against magic and magic-based attacks (25% Dam Reduction, Physical, Energy and Mental), as well as Mental Defense and Power Defense. Possibly other powers like some sort of magic sense or whatever. Anyway...

The items curse is that it's drawn to death and in fact draws strength from it. The name of the item is Soul Catcher, and it does just that. Eventually it will grow in power. To start it might simply nudge the character towards someone close who is dying. As it grows in strength it will cause the character to seek out death, and, perhaps one day, cause death in order to feed it.

So...how do you build that?

It's the curse part that throws me. I can build the magic item, but I'm not sure if individual powers are the key, or perhaps an MP, or what. Are "Side Effects" the way to go on the curse, or should the whole thing be built as an AI Follower with INT, EGO and so on, and the appropriate disads?

I've been out of gaming for a while and I'm out of practice on the more esoteric builds. Any help y'all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Cursed Item

I would be looking at a continuous transform that cause certain effects. Possession of the item causes the transform to trigger and the result of the transform comes in stages.

Immediate possession - transform adds a psychological disadvantage of "Fascinated by death"

"Must witness a death regularly, will travel to do that"

"Will kill to see someone die"

The transform increases the disadvantage addition based on length of possession.

What I am still working on is the cursed aspect of items that do not allow them to be discarded...

I think that I would build the curse as a 0 END continuous attack with a self reset trigger (triggers would be time periods).

You might not have the item to hand but the curse continues until the item is stolen from you or a remove curse is cast...

Doc

What I am still working on is the cursed aspect of items that do not allow them to be discarded...

I just build 'em without the focus limitation and the "uncontrollable" limitation. At that point, once the player acquires the power he can't control when it is used and he can't get rid of the "object" by discarding it - since it's not a focus, merely a special effect.

The catch is - as I run it - you can't curse someone simply by hiding the object in their gear (for example), since it's not a focus. Since there is no focus to pass around, the character has to actually "accept" the curse in some way (ie: they have to choose to take the power associated with the curse or take some action indicating that they accept it).

As for this particular curse, I'd build it thus:

Side effect: Mind Control 3d6, Telepathic (+¼), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; +¼), Cumulative (+½), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (37 Active Points)

with the trigger being a death in the vicinity. The mind control command (for example could be: "You want to see death up close"). Most people will be able to fight this off with no problem. It won't last very long either unless the person is feeble-minded. However, if exposed to more and more death in a short period of time, the effect of the mindcontrol will become stronger - and longer lasting - at the +30 level, it may even compel the target to kill, if he can't see death up close. At the very least, he'll take to hanging around hospitals and slaughterhouses :D

cheers, Mark

I just build 'em without the focus limitation and the "uncontrollable" limitation. At that point, once the player acquires the power he can't control when it is used and he can't get rid of the "object" by discarding it - since it's not a focus, merely a special effect.

The catch is - as I run it - you can't curse someone simply by hiding the object in their gear (for example), since it's not a focus. Since there is no focus to pass around, the character has to actually "accept" the curse in some way (ie: they have to choose to take the power associated with the curse or take some action indicating that they accept it).

Try this on for size: build the sword as a regular sword, without the Real Weapon Limitation maybe, but with the initial OIF. Build the HKA part with massive Side Effects: 15d6 (or however many) Transform, Character to Character With Curse. If he just holds onto it, it's a sword, but once he uses it as a sword (takes the action indicating he accepts it) then it binds to him.

I just build 'em without the focus limitation and the "uncontrollable" limitation. At that point' date=' once the player acquires the power he can't control when it is used and he can't get rid of the "object" by discarding it - since it's not a focus, merely a special effect.[/quote']

That does work doesn't it. :D

I suppose Chris' suggestion of a huge transform could work in the same way. The triggered transform has the special effect of the cursed item. If they pick it up to use they get hit with the transform. If it affects them then they get the power (depending on the item) and the curse through the transform with the SFX of the item. If the transform doesn't affect them then it dissipates in a foul smelling cloud of gas....

Doc

That does work doesn't it. :D

I suppose Chris' suggestion of a huge transform could work in the same way. The triggered transform has the special effect of the cursed item. If they pick it up to use they get hit with the transform. If it affects them then they get the power (depending on the item) and the curse through the transform with the SFX of the item. If the transform doesn't affect them then it dissipates in a foul smelling cloud of gas....

Yep, either would work.

cheers, Mark