"Slick" Hero?

The Main Man

Just pondered the idea that there is a whole genre centered around the "pulps" then what would their classier, less remembered colleagues, the "slicks," be like as a genre?

Granted I realize that a lot of the reason that pulp fiction exists as a gaming genre is due to their formulaic nature and rather identifiable tropes.

Re: "Slick" Hero?

I don't know what the slicks were like in the 20s and 30s' date=' but when I think of slick magazines these days, Vogue and Cosmopolitan are the first things to jump to mind. I can't say I find that as exciting a genre for games as the pulps.[/quote']

You don't want to adventure in the world of 10 ways to please your man?:doi:

Slicks are the higher quality more family oriented magazines of the era so Saturday Evening Post: The Adventure continues.

With the right players it could be interesting. (I really have to pick up a copy of Primetime Adventures)

My first pass at it would probably be to approach it similarly to "It came from the late late late show" style where the Characters are Actors and each adventure had them cast in different parts of a family oriented story. This week "The Snowball Fight" next week "The Bully" etc...

Once I and my players got a feel for the genre we could probably really dig in. Make up a town, the characters are a family and neighbors roleplaying through fun small town adventures. The occasional mystery (What happened to Mr McKinny's mailbox?).

If your group has occasional players give them rotating parts.

It's an interesting notion, feels more like a filler campaign - We're in between arcs and I'm not ready to roll forward, we're missing 2-3 players this week etc (Oddly my current filler is Pulp - Tales of the OSI!)

I'd try it out but I'm pretty sure my group would revolt and besides I'm guessing I'd only last 4 sessions before my natural inclination towards horror and conspiracies would taint the quiet little town of Springville. I might make it 6 if there was a lot of table talk

How about a game where you devise characters that appear to have this idyllic life but are really seedy, no-good, lying backstabbing deviants when not around the dinner table with those dopey soulless grins. The point of the game is for the characters to achieve an abhorrent deed set by one of the other players ("Write the most nasty thing you can think of; pass it to the left"). The one with the most breathtakingly obscene character who looks like they are the most Rockwellian despite wading through the filth required by their vile task wins.

Call it "The Aristocrats"

Fun for the whole family.... the Manson Family.

How about a game where you devise characters that appear to have this idyllic life but are really seedy, no-good, lying backstabbing deviants when not around the dinner table with those dopey soulless grins. The point of the game is for the characters to achieve an abhorrent deed set by one of the other players ("Write the most nasty thing you can think of; pass it to the left"). The one with the most breathtakingly obscene character who looks like they are the most Rockwellian despite wading through the filth required by their vile task wins.

Call it "The Aristocrats"

Fun for the whole family.... the Manson Family.

That actually sounds like a neat campaign idea.

That actually sounds like a neat campaign idea.

I think it would be a lot more difficult to pull off. First we've introduced the idea of winning into an RPG, so the players are now, by definition always rather than by choice occasionaly, in competition with each other.

Second, how often would this be fun. My group's got a pretty dark sense of humor but it could easily and quickly go too far.

Perhaps if this was structured more like a Diplomacy style board game (I'll help you get Timmy hooked on crack, if you help me convince Sally to ......)

• 1 year later...