Questions about the Batcave

JmOz

I am working on a write up for the cave, this thread is for questions regarding it

first the list of what the cave is

Bat Cave

1) Large cavernous area with super computer (See below)

2) Chemistry lab (1.1, 1.21, 1.24, 2.1, 2.22, 3.6, 4.8)

3) Analyses Fiber (1.3)

4) Detect and analyze gas (1.4)

5) Disguise studio (1.8, 2.3, 2.6x2, 2.9, 2.18, 3.1, 3.10, 3.20, 4.24)

6) Chemical Bath, used for medical needs (1.14, 4.3)

7) Radio (2.4)

8) Dissection lab (2.6)

9) Waldo’s (2.10, 2.11)

10) Internal Sensors (2.11)

11) Museum (3.6)

12) Fire Sprinklers/extinguishers (3.6, 4.11)

13) Electronics lab (3.9, 4.7)

14) Medical Bay (BMP, 4.2, 4.12)

15) Gymnastics Gymnasium (3.21)

16) Maps of the local area (BSZ)

17) Concealed sub aquatic entrance (4.2)

18) Armory (Grenades, batarangs, etc…) (4.2)

19) Danger Room (4.3)

20) Aircraft Carrier like landing system (4.11)

21) Criminology lab (4.24)

22) Targeting range (MBW)

The Computer

Bat Computer

1) Voice activated Input/output (1.1, 2.10)

2) Chemistry analysis (1.1, 1.28, BMP)

3) Analyses/ sounds (1.1, 3.8, BSZ, 4.4)

4) Hair sample “Checked against all known animals” (1.1)

5) Sound compared to Music (1.1)

6) TV Monitoring (1.2, 2.6, 3.27, 4.2, 4.17)

7) Monitoring city Power usage (1.2)

8) Analyze Poison (1.5)

9) Botanical files (1.5)

10) Personal Files to look people up (1.5, 3.6, 3.15, 3.26, 4.13)

11) Gotham City Maps (1.6)

12) Monitor security in Mansion (1.6)

13) Track personal vehicles (1.8)

14) Access Police Files (1.14)

15) News Achieve (1.14, 1.23 , 4.11, 4.13)

16) Criminal Files (1.19, 2.4, 2.28, 3.8, 3.28, 4.2, 4.3)

17) Facial Recognition Software (1.20)

18) “Police Artist” software (1.20)

19) Analyze tech (1.28)

20) Computerized Log (2.1)

21) Control Cave Waldo’s (2.11)

22) Trace Link (2.11)

23) Play video games (2.12)

24) Valued at $50,000,000 (2.12)

25) Molecular Analysis (2.24, MBW)

26) Geological Analysis (2.28, SMA.2.10)

27) Case Files (3.6)

28) Search data (3.6, 4.13)

29) Video Playback, Zoom, analysis (3.8, 3.20, 3.27, 3.28, 4.11, 4.13, MBW)

30) Electronics Analysis (3.9)

31) Financial Records (BMP)

32) Read Electric Data storage (3.11)

33) Prison Files from around the world (3.19)

34) Find people by phone number (BSZ)

35) Medical Database (BSZ)

36) Coroner’s reports (4.2)

37) Track Bat tracer (4.3)

38) Property Files (4.13)

39) Genetic analysis (414)

40) Radio (4.16)

41) Monitor burglar alarms in city (4.16)

42) Trophy Search (4.24)

43) Criminology (MBW)

44) Monitor Security at Waynetech (MBW)

45) Cross Reference Personnel (MBW)

My first question is how big should it be in the opinion of Hero Assembled

Second question, right now I think it will have a high concealment but not disguise (Once your in the cave it is pretty obvious what it is). However depending on how I do some things a disguise roll might be appropriate for "the Manor", as I see the Manor as being part of the grounds for the base...thoughts?---Asked Steve about this, he said concealment, good enough for me

Re: Questions about the Batcave

I don't think the Batcave, in any of it's incarnations has had a 'Danger Room' as created for the X-Men. But we often see Batman sparring with gymnasium constructs, at least in this decade.

A few things it will have are a mechanical workshop for repair of the Batmobile and those pesky flying things. Concealed entrances to the Manor above (the Bat poles, stairs and an elevator system) and the road exit for the bat mobile (a long thin tunnel to a nearby highway). some sort of power distribution area (I hesitate to say substation) and HVAC plant area. Don't forget a toilet & shower facility!

There's also the Bat boat located some distance away in a disguised waterfront building, you'll need some points for that as well. The Batcaves aircraft land/launch system needs radar and ties into the cities airport for air traffic control. lots & lots of stuff in fact.

I don't think the Batcave, in any of it's incarnations has had a 'Danger Room' as created for the X-Men. But we often see Batman sparring with gymnasium constructs, at least in this decade.

A few things it will have are a mechanical workshop for repair of the Batmobile and those pesky flying things. Concealed entrances to the Manor above (the Bat poles, stairs and an elevator system) and the road exit for the bat mobile (a long thin tunnel to a nearby highway). some sort of power distribution area (I hesitate to say substation) and HVAC plant area. Don't forget a toilet & shower facility!

There's also the Bat boat located some distance away in a disguised waterfront building, you'll need some points for that as well. The Batcaves aircraft land/launch system needs radar and ties into the cities airport for air traffic control. lots & lots of stuff in fact.

What I am refering to as the danger room is no where near as high tech as the X-Men's holo-deck like thing. This is more of a pop up targets shooting rubber bullets training area type of thing. It makes sense for it to have one to me and has been in the comics a number of times when they show the training of apprentices (Robin, Batgirl, etc...)

Mechanical Workshop, good catch, Weapnsmithing as well, going to need to go down the list of skills and decide on a few of them...

HVAC? not familiar with the accronym.

Batboat is located on a lower level of the cave, at least this version (It has changed over the years). good catch on the radar...

What I am refering to as the danger room is no where near as high tech as the X-Men's holo-deck like thing. This is more of a pop up targets shooting rubber bullets training area type of thing. It makes sense for it to have one to me and has been in the comics a number of times when they show the training of apprentices (Robin, Batgirl, etc...)

Mechanical Workshop, good catch, Weapnsmithing as well, going to need to go down the list of skills and decide on a few of them...

HVAC? not familiar with the accronym.

Batboat is located on a lower level of the cave, at least this version (It has changed over the years). good catch on the radar...

Heating Ventelation and Air Conditioning

Heating Ventelation and Air Conditioning

Would have given you rep, for relieving me of some ignorance, but alas I cannot for I have reped you recently for something else...don't remember why, but it is good enough to know that I have given you rep that you have richly deserved...

Which is my silly way of saying thank you

what do the numbers mean ?

2.11 ? 3.6?

I made notes while watching the Batman Animated Series, they are a code for what episode each item appeared in (DVD Vol . Espisode in set x # of times seen in episode). While I am not limiting my self to B:TAS for this it is a starting point

As far as support staff go, there's not just Alfred. Various stories have been printed over the decades showing others who have helped the Batman. A late 50's one had a race driver/mechanic rebuilding the Batmobile, one in the 70's showed a guy who made his little weaponry. Heck there was even a tailor who made his and various villains costumes.

Now there's another room to add. A laundry and costume store rooms. Can't send the Batcape out for dry cleaning now can you? Unless they're all disposable, in which case who makes them? A Chinese factory on it's night shift? Boots as well. Those hitech armoured non-slip beauties don't make themselves. Got to be some sort of bootery on call. Heck, add a few warehouse store rooms for spare costumes, belts boots etc.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as support staff go, there's not just Alfred. Various stories have been printed over the decades showing others who have helped the Batman. A late 50's one had a race driver/mechanic rebuilding the Batmobile, one in the 70's showed a guy who made his little weaponry. Heck there was even a tailor who made his and various villains costumes.

Now there's another room to add. A laundry and costume store rooms. Can't send the Batcape out for dry cleaning now can you? Unless they're all disposable, in which case who makes them? A Chinese factory on it's night shift? Boots as well. Those hitech armoured non-slip beauties don't make themselves. Got to be some sort of bootery on call. Heck, add a few warehouse store rooms for spare costumes, belts boots etc.

Good points

Right now I am still getting stuck on the size of the place...

Anyone have any idea how big we are actualy talking about here, I mean I know their is no definitive answer, but I am trying to figure this one out...

I'd use Distinctive Features for the actual bats; they also end up as sfx for a few things he cobbles together in his gadget pool (like the bat summoning boot in Batman Year One).

For that matter, the cave seems to have a small multipower that includes a triggered Healing effect (his healing in Dark Knight)

As to size, it's pretty big. 256 hexes or so, minimum.

It really depends on which Batcave.

The big penny is important!

Seriously, create the cave you want. Each writer creates something a little different. If you base it off the classic Batman series they had a bat-milk despense and a computer system you could spend 10 points on.

The full cave, plus Wayne Manor in BM:TAS or the current DC would run 50-60 points minimum. Of course you could make Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, and Oracle pay part of it!

So I travel at the speed of molasses, I know...

OK so here is a question for you all, not sure how I want to handle something

In my games I prefer labs to be built as strait skill bonuses, per the skill level skill, this is not RAW, or SOP, but it is my prefered method, so the question is should I as I do this make 2 versions, one a RAW compliant SOP, and one using my prefered method, or just the prefered method with a couple notes for conversion?

I would say notes on conversion would be better, and easier on your part. It also becomes less confusing to sort through if you have multiple variations.

"Look over there! Is it a snail? Is it a turtle? No it's someone suffering from real life!"

Don't worry about being slow posts, everyone has those days/weeks/months/years.

I did decide that the write up will include both Wayne Manner and the Batcave as one base

So part of it will be underground, part will be above ground

Some issues this has brought up is how exactly I want to handle the following

Concealment vs Disguise, or both?

Is it underground or not?

Is it cheasy to include the manner as part of the base or not (affterall Wayne did spend 15 points on Wealth, so therereticaly the house would just be his house...)

I did decide that the write up will include both Wayne Manner and the Batcave as one base

So part of it will be underground, part will be above ground

Some issues this has brought up is how exactly I want to handle the following

Concealment vs Disguise, or both?

Is it underground or not?

Is it cheasy to include the manner as part of the base or not (affterall Wayne did spend 15 points on Wealth, so therereticaly the house would just be his house...)

I would say both Concealment and Disguise for the Batcave. The reason is that the entrances are well concealed so that they are difficult to find, and even if you do find them, they are often disguised to look like something else, either using holograms or trick entrances. However, the Concealment and Disguise can be bought for only the parts near the entrances. Once you are in the Batcave, it is pretty obvious what it is.

Underground: Yes. However, if you are including the mansion, then only the part that is underground pays that cost. The part that is above ground uses the Suburbs cost.

As a consideration on the cost, much of his occasional use equipment can be placed into storage, and rolled out only as necessary. This saves room since you do not need dedicated lab or mechanic space, but rather you can say that this equipment is available as "add-ons" to the general lab space and computer, and the equipment and attendant programs is what gives the bonuses. As an example, a chemical analysis and a biological analysis take some rather different equipment, yet we see him doing both in the same area near the computer. (usually left of center/main console)

Additionally, since the cave is a natural formation, you can define the underground area as only the parts that he actually uses and has moderized. It is stated in almost every series that the caves extend for miles back into the main land (his manor is almost always depicted as being on some sea cliffs). Room for expansion without a problem, but he should not have to pay for space that he does not use.

As far as paying for the manor as part of his base, that is up to you. Except for the entrances to the Batcave (1 - 2 hexes per entrance), he does not really use it as Batman. It is mostly a plot hook, a place for him to rest and entertain guests, and some normal workout equipment (weights, gym machines, Bowflex, martial arts/boxing bags). Almost all of his specialty equipment is "downstairs" where people are less likely to stumble across it. As you say, he is Filthy Rich and "old money", and is expected to have a family manor with extensive grounds and security.

These are just my thoughts on the subject. Take them as you will.

Gemphyre

As I am doing this my way, I have added the Batcomputer, it is going to be represented by skills and powers in the cave, keep the write up simpler than multiple character sheets (Enough of that with vehicles =) )

• 4 months later...

I'd a "Metahuman database" to the Bat-computer.

One of my favorite Batman stories was one where Superman went to the cave to ask Bruce a question, but Batman was out. Superman sat and started playing on the Bat-computer and found files on all supers...and senarios on how Batman would take them out if he needed to. This included heroes as well as villains. The only file Supes couldn't access was his own.:D

Anyway, Batman prises himself on his ability to outwit, or out perform any metahuman out there. His computer would have an extensive database on all supers and probably Analyze: residual power signitures.