New Mechanic: Scaling Invulnerability

schir1964

Scaling Invulnerability < Stop Sign >

This defense power allows the character to reduce the effect of any ability used against them. Any ability that would alter the character's own abilities (Powers/Stats) will have the effect reduced by the Scaling Invulnerability in addition to any defense that would normally apply.

Cost

10 Points Per 1 Point Invulnerability

Just An Idea

- Christopher Mullins

Re: New Mechanic: Scaling Invulnerability

Problematic, IMO, because it counters limitless levels of Armor Piercing or whatever. I don't think it's unbalanced per se, but it seems to be contrary to the way HERO works. I'd rather see such effects done with just across-the-board defenses.

Also, it's value isn't constant at all point totals. In a low-cost game it's crap, because you're less likely to see exotic attacks (the only way it's better than just 1 PD/ED Armor with 1 level of hardened), and in a very high-point game where stuff like weird NNDs are common, it might be cheap.

That said, it's a "quick fix" for "really hard to hurt man, even with funny blue rays I don't actually have the defense against" and it's expensive enough to be pretty balanced.

Define intrinsically (in terms of your context) please.

So that I can better get a feeling of what you have in mind.

Perhaps an example?

I forgot to remove it after rewording things to be clear.

Basically, anything that would cause a direct change in the character's stats or powers.

So an AVLD (vs STR) that alters the Stun stat would be reduced by Scaling Invulnerability.

However, a Change Environment (-1 Dex Roll Penalty) would not be reduced since the character's DEX is not directly altered even though effect of DEX is (skill roll).

Does this help?

- Christopher Mullins

.... I'd rather see such effects done with just across-the-board defenses...

Except that you can't create this effect with just the across-the-board defenses (at least not with the core rules of Hero 5th or Hero 5th Revised).

Your other points are well taken.

Note: Cost is always in the realm of GM control for fine tuning to the game they running.

- Christopher Mullins

...In a low-cost game it's crap' date=' because you're less likely to see exotic attacks (the only way it's better than just 1 PD/ED Armor with 1 level of hardened),...[/quote']

I was thinking about this and since I have little experience with such type of games, could you be a bit more specific by what you mean.

If you are talking Heroic type games such as Fantasy or Pulp, then this power would not be purchased as an intrinsic part of the character anyway, it would either be some sort of spell or item, which will bring the cost down to more manageable levels, or so I presume. Science Fiction games is where it would be difficult to obtain inherent Invulnerability, but again, such abilities might be gained through external means (foci or charges) and thus the cost is reduced again.

Intrinsic Invulnerability (vs 1d6 Effects): 60 Points

Intrinsic Invulnerability (vs 2d6 Effects): 120 Points

Intrinsic Invulnerability (vs 3d6 Effects): 180 Points

Intrinsic Invulnerability (vs 4d6 Effects): 240 Points

OAF Invulnerability (vs 1d6 Effects): 30 Points

OAF Invulnerability (vs 2d6 Effects): 60 Points

OAF Invulnerability (vs 3d6 Effects): 90 Points

OAF Invulnerability (vs 4d6 Effects): 120 Points

- Christopher Mullins

I was thinking about this and since I have little experience with such type of games, could you be a bit more specific by what you mean.

I'm talking like the difference between a "low-powered superheroes" and "cosmic-powered superheroes" game.

For example, if you have superheroes built on 250 points with a 12 DC cap, you aren't likely to see too many people with much in the way of really exotic attacks, because points are tight.

OTOH, if you're playing 700 point superheroes with an 18 DC cap, you're likely to see quite a lot of supers with very weird attacks, because people have more points to spend.

The more people that use wacky attacks, like AVLDs vs odd defenses, NNDs, drains, mental powers, etc, as compared to attacks vs PD/ED, the more valuable "Scaling Invulnerability" is. I ran a 700-point game; some of the attacks I've seen (some on PCs, some on NPCs):

AVLDs vs. Flash Defense (various types), Power Defense, Mental Defense, Lack of Weakness, Hardened PD, Force Fields, and Combat Luck

NNDs vs. Having No Soul, Having No Name/Having a Ritually Protected Name, Belonging To This World

All sorts of Drains, including a monster whose only attack power was a huge Drain Ego combined with a Mind Control "Kill Everyone But Me and My Servants"

The following "Jagged Teeth" HKA 1d6 Penetrating +1d6 Double Penetrating +1d6 Triple Penetrating .... up to +1d6 x6 Penetrating (so you took penetration damage equal to 6 minus the level of hardened you bought on your armor from the total 6d6 HKA)

Extra Dimensional Movement to a universe devoid of everything but untold millions of eyes starting at you, Usable as Attack, linked to an Ego Drain, that you could get out of by making an Ego Roll as a full-round action.

BOECV Entangles

Quadruple Penetrating Drain Mental Defense Mental Damage Shields

and probably more that I'm forgetting.

The sheer number of different defenses that you're getting out of Scaling Immunity in that game is a lot more than the amount you're getting in a 250-point game where the majority of characters are likely to have a straight-up PD or ED attack, and maybe one or two unusual attacks.

Hmmm...

A couple of questions.

In your experience, do Low Powered Superheros campaigns stay low powered, or do they progress to a High Powered Superheros campaign?

Can't the GM affect the value of the power (like any other mechanic) by how they manage the challenges against the characters?

Just Some Meanderings From My Own Experiences

- Christopher Mullins

Hmmm...

A couple of questions.

In your experience, do Low Powered Superheros campaigns stay low powered, or do they progress to a High Powered Superheros campaign?

Can't the GM affect the value of the power (like any other mechanic) by how they manage the challenges against the characters?

Just Some Meanderings From My Own Experiences

- Christopher Mullins

Hero characters gain power pretty slowly, and also tend to increase existing powers rather than add new ones, or add skills. Obviously you can change this, but most GMs give out 3-4 XP a night, if you play once a week it would be 2 years to go from 350 to 700 point characters.

Yeah, if the GM uses more exotic attacks, Scaling Invulnerability is better. I find that higher point games have more exotic attacks than lower point ones; individual games might be an exception, especially if the GM uses more exotic attacks on purpose.