Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

On 6/16/2020 at 11:39 PM, Tjack said:

What would you sprinkle it on?

Chili.  Soups, particularly chowders.  I like making a very flat, small frittata...2 eggs beaten with some sauteed mushrooms and onions (and possibly bacon or milder chile peppers diced)...onto a hot cast iron fajita pan.  I usually top with cheese but you could throw this on top too.  Pretty much anything you want to add a bit of crunch and salt.  

That said, I probably would NOT toss into the grinder...just use the crushed bits.  Especially for soup.  Putting into the grinder, you're basically just adding a tiny amount of salt and whatever the flavor added to the chips does for you.  My spice rack can do that, better.

I came across a recipe for Morning Glory muffins (which do not contain morning glory seeds, contrary to what one might -- but probably should not -- guess) which does yield good tasty muffins.  The problem is that while the recipe says it makes 12 of them, in my trials either the recipe lies, or they are using nonstandard muffin pans without saying so.  With my standard pan, the recipe makes 15 or 16 rather than 12 muffins.  This is not a terrible catastrophe (because we do have two pans).  And no, you can't just ladle more batter into the wells; the directions explicitly say to fill up the wells in order to get the domed top.

Morning Glory Muffins

Ingredients:

1/2 cup raisins

2 cups flour

1 cup packed brown sugar

2 tsp baking soda

2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp ginger

1/2 tsp salt

2 cups peeled & grated carrots

1 large tart apple, peeled, cored, & grated

1/2 cup shredded coconut

1/2 cup chopped walnuts (n.b.  I have been using pecans instead and it works fine)

1/3 cup sunflower seeds (original recipe says these are optional, but we find they make a huge difference in flavor and add a bit of texture too)

3 eggs

2/3 cup vegetable oil

2 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 cup orange juice

Preheat oven to 375 F

Grease a 12-cup muffin pan (this is claimed in the original recipe; I find this recipe makes more like 15 or 16 muffins, however); you'll need to grease the top of the pan around the wells as well as the wells themselves

1.  Cover the raisins with hot water, and let these soak while you do everything else

2.  Whisk together the flour, sugar, soda, spices, & salt.

3.  Stir in carrots, apple, coconut, nuts, & sunflower seeds

4.  In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, oil, vanilla, & orange juice

5.  Add the liquid mix to the flour mixture, and stir until evenly moistened

6.  Drain the raisins, add them to the mixture & stir again

7.  Divide the batter among the wells in the pan (the original recipe says "they'll be full almost to the top, that's OK"); again, I find even when I fill the wells I have 15 or 16 muffins worth of batter

8.  Bake 25 to 28 minutes.  The muffins will be domed.  Use a toothpick to test for doneness as you would a cake

9.  Let muffins cool 5 minutes in the pan on a rack before turning them out of the pan for the rest of the cooling

Since we have misplaced one of the widgets needed for the food processor to do the grating, I find that grating the carrots and apple to be the longest and most painful (literally :straight: ) part of this preparation.  If you've got an electrical contrivance that will grate stuff for you, this is a pretty quick preparation.  (Mind you, we do have a stand mixer which means beating eggs and oil is trivial, so YMMV.)