Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

I've actually seen that in a couple of Japanese restaurants in San Francisco years ago. Any uneaten portion means an addition to the bill. I never ate in those restaurants again out of principle.

If I ever saw a sign like that, I would definitely walk right back out. I don't see how this is in any way acceptable business practice.

Went to the Greenhouse Tavern today here in Cleveland for lunch and had their Gravy Frites. Which is basically poutine (with veal gravy and fresh mozzarella).

And they weren't bad, but they needed salt, oddly enough. Now, the gravy had salt, but it wasn't infusing into the cheese and fries very well. GHT is, unfortunately, following the trend of never having salt & pepper shakers on the table because the chef thinks he Knows Best (Michael Symon's restaurants also do this, annoyingly enough) when it comes to seasoning.

I hadn't read that, but last week I got really sick with a gastro-intestinal bug. Couldn't keep anything down or in, etc. Ended up going to the Emergency Room where they pumped me up with two liters of saline to re-hydrate me.

I'm feeling much better now, and went back to work yesterday (I had to go back for a doctor's note the previous day). One result is that I'be been off caffeinated sodas (I drink diet) for almost a week now. Caffeine and I have been a long-term struggle, and the struggle is likely to continue. I was sure I would get back on first chance I got. So far I haven't. I'm still drinking diet cola, but it's caffeine-free.

Today I picked up a micro-cola from the gas station next door. No caffeine, made with cane sugar and so on. Really delicious, but two dollars for a 12-ounce bottle makes it a special occasion beverage at best.

Of course, since I work at a health clinic everyone else at work is healthier and better-nourished than I am.

Lady Pariah used to be a big fan of Pepsi. Ever since her pregnancy--which included six months of hydration by I.V.--she hasn't been able to drink the stuff. The caffeine is too much for her now.

Mother of gawd...:nonp:

Feb 18-24: The Glazed and Very Confused Bacon Donut Burger Melt - 8oz Ground Steak Burger, Crisp Hickory Bacon, Glazed Donut, Herb Cream Cheese, Sweet Berry Jalapeno Jam, Slathered in Donut Batter, Deep Fried and sprinkled with powdered sugar to achieve sweet perfection.

At Melt this month.

I have to ask about a classic bit of American cuisine: Who is eating the Filet-o-Fish?

I think it sounds, and looks, absolutely repugnant, yet it's one of the most popular sandwiches at McDonald's. I recall that whenever I was in a group of four or more going to McD's, at least one person chose it. Now they have the Fish Bites, and I'm just boggled. Am I missing something?

I have to ask about a classic bit of American cuisine: Who is eating the Filet-o-Fish?

I think it sounds, and looks, absolutely repugnant, yet it's one of the most popular sandwiches at McDonald's. I recall that whenever I was in a group of four or more going to McD's, at least one person chose it. Now they have the Fish Bites, and I'm just boggled. Am I missing something?

I asked my wife the same thing, except I don't ever recall anyone actually ordering it. Then she told me that on the rare occasion her mother goes to McD's, she always orders the filet o fish...

Well, enough that McDonald's was endangering the population of fish being used for it.

I order one occasionally. Sometimes I just get a craving for fish, and I'm nowhere near a LJS or don't want to go to a nice place and spend 10+ bucks for it. I have to special-order it, though ... bun toasted instead of steamed, and light on the tartar sauce.

So...they put the jalapenos on to cool it down?

Actually, pickled jalapenos are not that hot - a few slices in a big greasy burger like that would give it a bit of zing.

After all people eat jalapeno poppers, which are a whole jalapeno filled with cheese (in fact, we have a bunch of boxes of them in the freezer :))

cheers, Mark

Last night I tried something I've been wanting to do for a while: Bacon cake!

Well, kind of. It's actually a classic french recipe from Robuchon, and unlike some of his recipes, it's dead-simple. So you can try this at home

Heat the oven to 425 (for our US readers :)) or 220 Celsius

While teh oven is heating, select your baking pan: cast iron is best if you have it. Brush oil or melted butter (best) around the bottom and sides of your pan. Now lay in a layer of bacon, so that the ends meet and overlap slightly in the middle, and the sides overlap. You don't want to be able to actually see the pan. Let the ends of the bacon drape out and over the sides of the pan.

Peel and thinly slice some potatoes, then, starting with the potatoes, alternate three layers of potatoes with three layers of cheese (the recipe calls for Gruyere, but anything tasty that will melt and is not too salty will do). Grind black pepper over the top, then pull the bacon up and over toward the center, but not completely covering it. You want to leave a bit of a vent hole there so that the bacon can shrink back while it bakes.

Bake uncovered for about an hour. Check it after about 30-40 minutes: if the top bacon appears to be completely cooked (it should be crispy!), place a loose sheet of foil on top to keep it from overcooking while the rest of the dish finishes. It's done, of course, when a knife piercing the center meets no resistance.

Immediately upon removing from the oven, pour off any excess grease (there'll be a decent amount!) then allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes to insure it releases from the pan easily. Invert onto a serving platter, and what you get is a cake of crispy bacon, filled with a soft, cheesy, potatoey centre. Tres excellent!

It's also good when reheated the following day :)

Cheers, Mark

I used to love filet-o-fish when I was a kid. They were cheap so I could get a bunch of them. That was a long time ago.