Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

I'm all but convinced the key to fish & chips is having the oil hot, very hot. I don't think home friers can get as hot as makes the best deep-fried fish, and lots of places in the US don't keep their deep friers turned up that hot. And (contrary to some practices) the oil does need to be changed occasionally.

You definitely need to have the right proportion of fish to batter. I've been to a few places that over-batter the fish (with the secondary sin of then not cooking the batter all the way through). Cod, scrod or haddock are my fish choices for proper fish & chips.

Fish tacos?

There's a Mexican place near me that serves them, but they're so bland and flavorless. :(

Meanwhile...

[h=1]Fake Fish On Shelves And Restaurant Tables Across USA, New Study Says[/h]

Well at least that's still fish. It's not like they are trying to sell pig rectum as imitation calamari.

Fish tacos?

There's a Mexican place near me that serves them, but they're so bland and flavorless. :(

I had fish tacos for the first time this summer, and they were wonderful! I'm instantly hooked. Bland wasn't a problem because these were blackened Cajun style. Great stuff!

Well at least that's still fish. It's not like they are trying to sell pig rectum as imitation calamari.

I just heard about this at a company dinner a couple weeks ago. One of the researchers wouldn't eat the calamari and refused to say why until dinner was over :lol: Fortunately I won't eatt hat crap anyway, so doesn't affect me biggrin.gif

I order one occasionally. Sometimes I just get a craving for fish' date=' and I'm nowhere near a LJS or don't want to go to a nice place and spend 10+ bucks for it. I have to special-order it, though ... bun toasted instead of steamed, and light on the tartar sauce.[/quote']

I get them quite a bit. I just think they're tasty. Long John's is good but the Filet O'fish is different enough than it feels like its own treat.

When I was a kid, my mom would make some nasty-ass tuna salad every once in a while, using cheap canned tuna. I hated it. Could not stand it. Wouldn't touch it; haven't touched it since.

But when I was in college, some friends of mine and I went to a fancy seafood place. Among the other dishes at the table was a beautiful fresh tuna steak, broiled in butter, prepared by a chef of some renoun. So I decided to try a taste. And?

Ugh. Yuck. I decided then and there that yes, it's true. I do not like tuna.