Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

See, and I actually LIKE escolar as sashimi too. No need for false advertising. Heck, a couple of sushi places here in Cleveland actually list tilapia as an option too (as "izumidai") rather than lying and trying to pass it off as red snapper.

But yes, escolar does need to be sampled in moderation... :cry:

I've had escolar (billed as walu) at a sushi place before, and liked it. Thankfully in small enough amounts to preserve my dignity.

I don't get how tilapia can be substituted for red snapper - they don't look or taste anything alike as far as I can tell. (My dad loves the former, but my attitude is I'm not going to pay $15+ for super common bottom-feeding fish.)

Escolar as sashimi has this wonderful buttery taste. Alas, out of all fishes, the husband has also developed a liking for it, so now I have to fight him for it when we do indulge.

Thankfully, tilapia as sashimi is priced fairly at the places I like to hit for sushi. Mind you, I'm also more a mackerel fan too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For Memorial Day, one of my sisters made an "International Burger Bonanza" (she named it) for lunch. The burgers were sliders rather than full-sized burgers. There were four types of burgers, depending on the toppings and condiments.

American burger: topped with American cheese, bacon, and barbecue sauce

Greek burger: topped with feta and tzatziki

Italian burger: topped with mozzarella and pesto

Mexican burger: topped with guacamole, quezo fresco, and salsa

For Memorial Day, one of my sisters made an "International Burger Bonanza" (she named it) for lunch. The burgers were sliders rather than full-sized burgers. There were four types of burgers, depending on the toppings and condiments.

I don't know if your sister would have thought it worth the trouble, and I would never have time to do it myself, but I imagine one could build on the effect by seasoning the patties themselves differently depending on the toppings that will go with them.

I would have liked to have tried the Greek burger in particular. I like Gyros and that sounds like a similar concept.

Seasoning the meat differently would have been a bit too much work at this point. But I'll suggest it to her next time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
At this point, I'm thinking people are really going to have to start thinking outside the box to make an impression at the State Fair with a deep fryer. Just, you know, think of the craziest food possible, and deep fry it.

Some suggestions:

--Hardboiled eggs

--porridge

--octopus

Crazy enough to work?

Sounds downright pedestrian to some of the things in TKD's post.

At this point, I'm thinking people are really going to have to start thinking outside the box to make an impression at the State Fair with a deep fryer. Just, you know, think of the craziest food possible, and deep fry it.

Some suggestions:

--Hardboiled eggs

--porridge

--octopus

Crazy enough to work?

Deep-fried peyote cactus might make an impression, though. And just like the Cheech & Chong movie, no one could tell it from horse turd.

Some suggestions:

--Hardboiled eggs

--porridge

--octopus

Crazy enough to work?

Oh, yeah they could - it tastes a lot worse. A lot.

Cheers, Mark

Some suggestions:

--Hardboiled eggs

--porridge

--octopus

Crazy enough to work?

I am not going to ask for the source of that information. Nope, not gonna.

Not for the faint-hearted, or those with weak stomachs. You have been warned!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

http://vaviper.blogspot.com/2013/09/anal-secretions-from-beaver-can-be-used.html

I am not going to ask for the source of that information. Nope, not gonna.

Grr, it wont let me paste a copy of a recent post. Too bad, because it would correct in this case.