Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Stepping in on Cygnia's beat, here's one from my current favourite joint, the Spoon Kitchen of Kitsilano, Vancouver's neighbourhood that the Sixties forgot. (Because they were, like, too stoned to keep track of things, and now they can't afford to live there.) I haven't tried this one, but it's uhm, it's uhm, it's a thing that you can eat. (Pumpkin fried rice.)

864A5Ea827hOTO-640m.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I read in a cookbook once that coagulated duck's blood is an important ingredient for authentic hot & sour soup (I think), but the book presented a westernized recipe that omitted it. AFAIK I have never had that ingredient.

Waffle taco! Which led me to wonder. Has anyone done a deep-fried peanut butter and banana waffle sandwich? Intensive research (minutes on the Google!) suggested not; but I did turn this up.

l.jpg

The fried chicken waffle sandwich (with spicy mayo!) There's a sense in which all of these things are just competing for also-ran status. We already have deep-fried butter, after all. But I do salute the people who keep on trying. Somewhere, some day, someone is going to invent the breakfast food that just gets up off the plate and straight kills you.

Or maybe they have, and there's no witnesses, and there's a deep-fried waffle butter deep-fried fried patty sandwich  behind your house right now, checking the windows?

(An equally exhaustive Google search turned up no sign of the old Joy of Cooking recipe for a bacon waffle where the bacon strips are cooked in the waffle, so that the batter absorbs all the precious bacon-juice. Which killjoys claim is "fat," apparently. What to they know?)

• 3 weeks later...