Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2017 at 6:57 PM, Xavier Onassiss said:

I used to tell people who asked what I want for Christmas that I don't need anything, just get me a pizza. Now we make one from scratch every year because my wife understands me.

Merry Christmas!

What are the toppings? I recognize yellow peppers, but what kind of sliced sausage is that?

I made something last weekend I'd never made before, a chicken pie, including the crust (by hand, too, with a pastry cutter -- buffs fingernails).  Turned out quite well.  The gravy in those is not exactly "heart healthy": chicken stock, melted butter, heavy cream (though I used half-and-half 'cause that's what was in the house).  It does require more or less a whole chicken already cooked, and it isn't often we have that in the fridge waiting to be used.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 12:25 PM, Logan.1179 said:

Watching the dessert cooking contest, the challenge was reinvent a classic. My mother said, "How the hell do you do that? How do you reinvent an apple pie?" Well, I came up with an idea. And sure enough, someone did it first.

You can also core apples without peeling them, fill the hole with cinnamon graham cracker crumbs, top with a pat of butter, and bake to get inside-out mini apple pies.

Now we make one from scratch every year because my wife understands me.

The only bad part about home made pizza is how fast it disappears vs how long it takes to make.  Better than the best pizza you've ever eaten at any restaurant, exactly the way you want it.

That was not among my parents' faults, but from time to time carob did make into our house; though by the '80s I was off in grad school.  Considering some of the dreck we had to live with because it came from the Commissary of whatever base we lived on or near that the time, though, there were other random insults I had to survive.  Like the awful year of powdered milk.