Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

4 hours ago, Cygnia said:

I don't have a problem pairing Two Buck Chuck with a Quarter Pounder. But I'd keep the good stuff for a good meal.

Port can be a bit expensive, but it makes sense to pair it with chocolate. A good rule of thumb is to make the wine sweeter than the chocolate so that the chocolate doesn't overwhelm the wine.

On the Things I Did During the COVID Lockdown list ... I've got my chicken-cheese-green chile enchilada preparation nailed, and it really isn't difficult when you have the ingredients.  The key is the roasted green chile -- you cannot skimp on this -- but you can get it on-line from 505southwestern. 

After playing around with a couple of scratchmade preparations, I found a canned enchilada sauce that is a lot less work and serves just fine (El Pato brand, and you get the verde, obviously; the recipe below uses one 28-ounce can).  Jack cheese (ordinary jack, without the pepper so commonly added these days) is far superior to orange cheese.  This preparation uses 9-inch flour tortillas. 

(For reference: this roasted Hatch chile is flavorful, but not particularly hot.  If you like more heat, then you probably want to include finely chopped heat peppers ... today's jalapenos won't pack as much heat as you are likely to want, so perhaps two or more serranos or other pepper you like ... in the saute with the chicken.  Since we usually don't need the heat, and very often our guests don't like it, I have not done experiments along these lines.)

For a 9-by-12-inch , 2-inch-deep baking pan (this is 8 or 9 enchiladas); nominally it's one roll per person, but I find that it's more like one and a half rolls per person usually at our table.  This is largely because we don't load up the cheap rice and refried beans that you usually get with your entree at a "Mexican" restaurant.  If your meal includes more in the way of side dishes, then the proportion of one roll for one person can work.

Start with 3 boneless chicken thighs; I trim and discard the skin and excess fat.  Cut the thighs into bits or strips no bigger than a half-inch wide.  Saute these with olive oil, a minced clove of garlic, a couple of tablespoons of finely chopped raw spanish onion, italian seasoning (generously on that last; maybe a teaspoon).  Cook thoroughly.  When done, pour off the excess grease and let the chicken cool in the pan while you shred cheese.

(Comment: any previously-cooked chicken will work.  I have often taken the dark meat off a Costco roasted chicken and used it for the enchiladas.  The extra flavors from the saute above are welcome but not essential.)

Shred the cheese.  You will want about half again as much shredded cheese as chicken, by volume.

(I am assuming the chile was roasted, removed from the skins, and chopped or blended well beforehand and you are working with stuff from a jar or from a frozen package.  Preparing the chile is much more work.)

Spray your baking pan with a greasing spray first and your clean-up task will be much easier.  Preheat oven to 350 F.

In each tortilla, put a 2 tablespoons or so (err on the side of less, rather than more) of the cooked chicken.  (If you've never done this before, lay the tortilla out flat.  Imagine a "happy face" in the tortilla.  All the fillings go at the level of the eyes of that happy face, spread evenly across, not quite to the edge of the tortilla.)  Put in shredded cheese, an amount about half again the amount of chicken.  Then 2 tablespoons of the chile.  Roll the tortilla closed and lay it in the pan (the rolls are parallel to the short dimension of the pan).  8 or 9 rolls will fit in the pan.

Open the can of enchilada sauce and pour it over the rolls, spreading it evenly to cover them all.

Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.  When the timer goes off, sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of the shredded cheese over the top.  Bake another ten minutes.  Remove from oven, let stand a few minutes, serve.