Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

On 1/7/2021 at 9:59 AM, Cygnia said:

Reminds me of my all-time favorite commercial ice cream...the original Dreyer's Slow Churned.  It wasn't on the market long in that form;  they switched to one of the ultimate culinary abominations...."light ice cream."  Nope, this was heavy, dense, rich, and smooth.  Dreyer's also messed up their peppermint ice cream, I think, but this might be the vagaries of memory.  The first year I tried it, it was strong and, sure, on the sweet side but not overpowering.  Couldn't find it for a few years...OR, there were some cartons I bought that were horribly freezer-burned and you know that's an utter disaster for ice cream.  But last time I got a carton in good shape, it was far, far too sweet.  As I say, memory can lie....

Haagen Dazs Five Coffee was also rather good.

Those days are long gone tho now...

18 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

How do you feel about chicken salad/chicken salad sandwiches?

Not a fan of mayo as a rule;  I use it in egg salad but that's it.  Also, the usual suspects that I can recall, for chicken salad, are celery and apples.  The combos never worked for me.

I do like to take roasted chicken breast and shred it in my Ninja...the multiple blade heights work very well for this...while adding the spice-infused oil and juices into it, to help season everything and keep things moister.  Then I'd rather zap this or quickly brown it on the stove as I do some pan-grilled bread (oil 1 side, grill that side, flip but do NOT oil the second side...it's a lot neater for eating than oiling both sides, and it won't dry out like normal toasting.)  A weeee bit of extra oil can help brown the chicken, and a last shake of spices can be included.  Obviously, tho, this is not intended to be wrapped for long, it's basically heat and eat.

Perhaps because I didn't encounter them until later in life, I am much more tolerant of various unorthodox additives in my chicken salad sandwiches than I am in my tuna salad sandwiches.  Sunflower seeds or sliced almonds, chopped weird-a** vegetable du jour that needed using up before it went bad, hitherto unimagined dressings (avocado oil - pomegranate vinegar - sesame seed - chopped fresh basil or some implausible combo like that), and so on.

I'm not anything close to being a good cook, or even a competent cook.

But one of my grandmothers, who couldn't much cook either, used to make chicken and dumplings which I enjoyed as a kid.

So I decided one day to attempt making that.

I finished and presented it to my wife and kids. Chicken and dumplings were not part of the culture of my wife's side of the family.

She took one look at the dish and they all refused to even taste it. I ended up eating it all myself over the next several days.

< frustration >

So I waited a few months and cooked exactly the same thing.

She looked at it and asked what it was.

I replied, "It's thick chicken soup."

They all ate it and enjoyed it enough to eat the leftovers the next day as well.

"Marketing: It's what's for dinner."

On 1/21/2021 at 2:05 PM, Ragitsu said:

How do you feel about chicken salad/chicken salad sandwiches?

Lady P has a fantastic chicken salad sandwich recipe that includes celery, cashews, and grapes. It's meant to be eaten on a croissant, but I also enjoy it in a tortilla as a wrap.