Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

I was like a lot of kids;  not a big fan of a LOT of foods.  Quite a few were based on how they were cooked;  not that my mother wasn't a good cook, as she overall was (and a better baker) but hey, 50s, 60s, early 70s...lots of things were hard to find other than frozen or canned.  And the style of the times led to tuna casserole with canned tuna, canned cream of mushroom soup, and potato chip topping.

GAG!!!!!!!!!!

I adore tuna.  LOVE it.  But we're talking fresh tuna, very lightly cooked.  Or on sushi.  But I've basically dropped almost anything canned or frozen, with a few exceptions:  Hatch brand enchilada sauces, flash-frozen fruit for smoothies or maybe added to oatmeal, ground elk or venison, occasional flash-frozen shrimp or tilapia.  Only the sauces have been cooked at all, tho, note.  And I almost never even consider frozen veggies;  I have done some frozen mushrooms, they worked out ok.  But that's it.  Frozen veggies become mush, most of the time;  canned have been massively overcooked.

And what's this GREEN color for New Mexico?  Yeah, favorite comfort food being chili, that's fine;  coulda been enchiladas or rellenos too.  But GREEN???  Shoulda been half red and half green!!  Some states split between blue and red, we split between green and red.

Cardamom is a seasoning I encountered frequently while living in Europe, but almost never here in the US.  With Seattle's strong Scandinavian contingent, we get it here more often than other places I've been.  My wife rather likes it.  Once I have the time, I'll try making it... but that may not be until June.

It's an unusual flavor...not one I use that much.  Used to do cardamom coffee, but by and large I've switched over to coffees with exceptional flavors of their own, and I rarely add anything to them.  I vaguely remember that my mother made a few types of cookies with cardamom, tho.  

It might be in some spice blends that I use.

19 hours ago, tkdguy said:

I read an article about great wine and cheese pairings. I was going to post that article here, but I decided it would be more useful instead to link the page that led to different articles about pairing wine and food. That way you can enjoy your wine with other stuff as well, including Chinese food and hummus.

So which wine goes best with Beer?

Rather than draw fire over the "Foods you hate" thread, I thought I'd post something other than blanket condemnation about ... Brussels sprouts.

We've got a preparation for Brussels sprouts that I can't describe as a favorite food, but it does make the sprouts something other than the thing you take four of to be polite, eat two while being watched and throw the other two away as soon as no one's looking.

Wash them, pat dry, cut them in half pole-to-pole.  Maybe get little bit of olive oil on them (best done by putting no more than a tablespoon of oil in a large bowl and toss the sprouts in that), but you don't want to get them greasy.  Then apply a spice mix of your choice (in our household, one of the chili-lime seasonings seem to be most accepted).  Spread them on a baking sheet, broil (low) until they start to brown; this doesn't take very long.  Pull them out, turn them casually with a spatula or pancake turner, another brief broiling.  Serve.

On 1/25/2021 at 8:47 PM, tkdguy said:

I read an article about great wine and cheese pairings. I was going to post that article here, but I decided it would be more useful instead to link the page that led to different articles about pairing wine and food. That way you can enjoy your wine with other stuff as well, including Chinese food and hummus.

And pairing the right beer will work as well or better, much of the time.  The hard part is getting people to move past the mass-market dreck on the one hand, and IPAs on the other.  There is MUCH more out there.

When we lived in Bremerhaven, we discovered that (at least at the time) there was a fishing fleet based there, and they largely caught two things: eels (which AFAICT were always sold smoked), and North Sea shrimp.  North Sea shrimp are tiny.  They were the size of popped popcorn, pre-Orville Redenbacher popcorn, so smaller than the popcorn you get now.  There were vendors who sold them in paper cones (think sno-cone cones); they'd been washed and cooked but not shelled, there was a dab of unsweetened whipped cream on top, and an unsweetened wafer jammed in the top of the ensemble.  Never tried that.  I wasn't a fan of shrimp then (and while I'll eat shrimp it's not a favorite now), and at the time I hadn't fully outgrown childhood food prejudices.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...