Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

I have to admit, I have always actually fancied trying out some of the weird stuff that gets passed off as food (since the actors don't actually need to eat it) in any given space opera or science fantasy. The thing is, I know that really it is all just weird play-dough shapes, or porridge has been dyed very slightly to look grey instead of beige, or even just colourful fruit cut into cubes to make it seem alien, but those are not what I want to eat. I want to eat the IC stuff that they're there to look like. 

Try the Kep-mok blood ticks. They're just like mother used to make.

Yesterday I cooked up a mess of scrambled eggs for extended family breakfast. Started by cooking up a pound of sausage fresh-ground at the local small-town grocery store. It had a great texture and very little fat. Next I chopped up a red onion and caramelized it in some basin grease. I added the sausage and a can of diced chilies, then added in six eggs. It was a big hit. 

Rather than using canned chiles, I have come to prefer the flame roasted Hatch chiles from 505.  The downside to those is that an opened jar doesn't keep for long (they recommend use within two weeks of opening), even refrigerated.  We discovered those three years back on our trip through Albuquerque, and then they started appearing in the Costco up here.  These are what makes my green chile-cheese-chicken enchilada preparation possible.

6 hours ago, Cygnia said:

We used to have large weekly family gatherings at my grandparents' house. In the summer afternoons, we'd have watermelon and salt. And salt. And salt.

There weren't health concerns about salt at the time but I remember being horrified at how much salt everyone was putting on their watermelon. So much so that I quit using salt on watermelon at all.

A distinct improvement, if the watermelon is fully ripened.

On 6/21/2021 at 8:18 AM, DoctorImpossible said:

I have to admit, I have always actually fancied trying out some of the weird stuff that gets passed off as food (since the actors don't actually need to eat it) in any given space opera or science fantasy. The thing is, I know that really it is all just weird play-dough shapes, or porridge has been dyed very slightly to look grey instead of beige, or even just colourful fruit cut into cubes to make it seem alien, but those are not what I want to eat. I want to eat the IC stuff that they're there to look like. 

There’s a site on YouTube called Binging with Babish where a chef specializes in creating dishes referenced/made in movies and TV shows.  Do you want to try the “five dollar milkshake” from Pulp Fiction, or the fantastic steak breakfast from Twister or see if prepping the garlic like Paulie did in prison in Goodfellas actually helped?
    The videos are all around five minutes or so each so you can’t get bored. If you like cooking they’re a fun watch.

31 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

But what they DO eat will freak us out.

I used to read articles from American Magic the Gathering players on the Pro Tour as they traveled to Japan and struggled to find something which was at least vaguely edible between rounds and in the evenings after a grueling day of playing.

I also read the occasional article from a Japanese player on the Pro Tour in an American city having his adventures in American cuisine and snacks.

The impression I was given is that it's much easier for a Japanese person to adapt to American food than the other way around.

At the risk of making some sweeping generalizations...

Japanese cuisine contains many standard Western dishes and fast food restaurants along with the more traditional ones that feature things like sushi and highly spiced condiments like wasabi.  The American diet on the other hand is much more limited in its taste palate and the average American is unwilling to try dishes from other cultures. 

3 hours ago, Tjack said:

The American diet on the other hand is much more limited in its taste palate and the average American is unwilling to try dishes from other cultures. 

What aggravates me about this one local foodie FB group I'm in is a LOT of the members will brag about eating organic "farm to table" "NO CHAINS!", but if you post about eating (and liking) innards/blood (animal blood, guys ;) ) or insects, they'll freak out and get the post taken down.

And yes, I get that at first glance that looks like someone could be posting stuff like that to freak the mundanes out.  But there's a lot of people out that who don't have the luxury of picking & choosing what parts of the animal to eat.  That, for some, they need to use all parts of the beast.  Or get their protein intake from a source that's readily available and not as expensive (like insects).

As someone who grew up poor and as someone who is fascinated by other cultures, sometimes food is the only way I can experience them.