Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

On 8/16/2021 at 1:52 PM, Cancer said:

I am reasonably sure I have never found any version of Dr Pepper drinkable, period. 

Dr. Pepper is my go-to drink when I go to a restaurant and Coca-Cola isn't available.  The conversation usually goes like this--

"Can I get a Coke?"

"Is Pepsi okay?"

Suppressing the urge to hiss through clenched teeth, "No, Pepsi is NOT okay!"

"Do you have Dr. Pepper?"

If "Yes" then order Dr. Pepper.  If "No" then the conversation continues--

"How about ginger ale?"

If "Yes" then order ginger ale.  If "No" then the conversation continues--

"How about lemonade?"

If "Yes" then order lemonade.  If "No" then I order 7up or the equivalent.

My brand loyalty is very strong when it comes to cola drinks.

I found long ago that the temperature at which it was served mattered more to me than the brand for nearly all colas, until you get to some really odd (and mostly non-US) brands.  I more or less always preferred what was coldest.  If they're all at the same temperature (i.e. from the same cooler) then I have preferences, but temperature and price are more important to me than brand, for the most part.  That's for bottled stuff.  Stuff out of a fountain, sometimes there's misadjustments in a fountain that will color my preferences, but that's almost impossible to know ahead of time unless it's a place you go to frequently.

I have discovered that all U.S. sodas are essentially the same theme. This could be due to there being only two producers for all sodas within the U.S. regardless if it is a national or store label it will be made by one of these two. The only way to escape them is to import foreign sodas and that can be more expensive than the domestic ones with import fees,  foreign and local taxes,  and other add ones. 

1 hour ago, Asperion said:

I have discovered that all U.S. sodas are essentially the same theme. This could be due to there being only two producers for all sodas within the U.S. regardless if it is a national or store label it will be made by one of these two. The only way to escape them is to import foreign sodas and that can be more expensive than the domestic ones with import fees,  foreign and local taxes,  and other add ones. 

You should try Moxie.

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

You should try Moxie.

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

You should try Moxie.

My Dad used to drink that stuff. I tried some when I was a kid and it was horrible.  Granted I also hate root beer (Sorry, Worf) and Dr Pepper.  I’m not a strict cola junkie though, I love ginger ale and cream soda, although it’s tough to find those in good quality brands.  I don’t know why but it seems that those flavors are easier to cheap out on than colas for the generic brands.

1 hour ago, Tjack said:

My Dad used to drink that stuff. I tried some when I was a kid and it was horrible.  Granted I also hate root beer (Sorry, Worf) and Dr Pepper.  I’m not a strict cola junkie though, I love ginger ale and cream soda, although it’s tough to find those in good quality brands.  I don’t know why but it seems that those flavors are easier to cheap out on than colas for the generic brands.

Yup. Horrible is how I'd describe the flavor. My relatives in Maine seemed to like it, though.

LOVED!!!! Hires Root Beer.

But it's been buried.  IIRC, Dr. Pepper bought them...eventually, the brand changed hands several times.  Dr. Pepper also owns A&W...which has a separate tie-in with the fast food joints.  The root beer is probably critical to keeping the restaurants afloat...pun intended...whereas Hires had no tie-in.  It was just a HECKUVA lot better.  

Can't *stand* Pepsi.  Not sure why;  used to like most of the Mountain Dew flavors, altho not all of em...and MD and Pepsi are both sweetness bombs, altho the difference in sugar between Coke and Pepsi isn't very much.  The Pepsi profile never did it for me.  

Not that I do any of em any more.  Ditching the empty sugar is the easiest first step to helping yourself out...ditching most of the empty carbs is harder.