Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

This kinda counts, for sheer decadence.  I've been meaning to do cassoulet for ages now, but a) never thought about it far enough in advance, and b) sourcing the ingredients piecemeal is something of a pain.  But I saw this earlier:

https://www.dartagnan.com/cassoulet-recipe-kit/product/KCSLT002.html?utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=google-ads-google-shopping-main&utm_source=google&gclid=CjwKCAjwndCKBhAkEiwAgSDKQSbVxZz4c6jIYLlMzmAVeGM0TpY53oaXjfErR4yI4Euy62xiZE6D4xoCEwUQAvD_BwE

Oh my.

Duck leg confit (legs cooked in duck fat).  2 types of sausage.  French version of pancetta.  More duck fat.  

But should be sooooooooooooooooo good......  I intend to order this for Thanksgiving...the "serves 4-6".  Cassoulet will be *better* the next day so if this is enough for 3 dinners....COOL!!!  (No one believes it when it says "serves 4", right?  Or maybe I'm just a pig....)

Yeah, it's pricey as heck.  So what?  After the last 18 months, WE DESERVE TO INDULGE OURSELVES A LITTLE BIT!!!!!

And I've got a Chimay Blue (Grande Reserve) waiting to accompany it.

Nomnomnomnomnom.........

On 9/27/2021 at 9:43 PM, Cancer said:

Better than making cow chips.

Meanwhile, chicken pie in the oven now.

Homemade or frozen?  I used to make what I called bachelor’s chicken pot pie.

Start with one guy/girl whose too tired to really cook but wants a hot, filling, inexpensive dinner. The ingredients are....

One roasted chicken from the Supermarket

One bag of Frozen Mixed Veggies (combination of your choice)

Two or Three cans of decent quality chicken gravy

One can of Brown & Serve Dinner Rolls

A large Baking dish & A large Mixing Bowl

Begin the as directed preparation of the veggies & rolls and heat two cans of the gravy.

While all that’s cooking remove all available meat from the roast chicken and shred.

Remove rolls before allotted time as long as they are cooked but not yet browned. Leave oven on.

Grease the Baking Dish lightly with cooking spray.

Split the rolls open and place the bottoms in the bottom of the pan.

Place the Chicken, Veggies & Gravy in the Mixing Bowl and combine.

Spoon the mixture over the bottom Rolls and top with the tops.

Place baking dish back in hot oven to finish browning.

Entire preparation time approx 30 -40 minutes. 

Leftovers will require the remaining can of Gravy.

Homemade, though we start with a Costco roast chicken (my son is one of the guys who puts the chickens on the skewers at the local Costco).  I started with the Fannie Farmer recipe (you can find it with a websearch for "Fannie Farmer Chicken Pot Pie recipe"), which only has crust on top.  But it has mutated a lot from that beginning.  Everything is scaled up by about a factor of 1.5 (and I probably should bump the cream/broth/roux liquid up to double the original recipe, keeping the meat-and-vegetables as they are now, because there isn't really enough gravy in it as it is), because our dutch oven is of a size that's too big for the base recipe.  We substitute in half-&-half for the heavy cream, because we keep h&h on hand but not heavy cream.  I cut up two red potatoes and a large carrot and a modest onion wedge and steam those.  I put in frozen peas, frozen corn, and a can of mushrooms.  The entire family are black pepper fiends so I use maybe a tablespoon of fresh ground pepper.  I cannot make a pie crust to save my life, so for a crust I mix up a batch of Bisquik biscuits and drop pinches of that batter on the top of everything else to mimic a biscuit crust.

8 hours ago, Cancer said:

Homemade, though we start with a Costco roast chicken (my son is one of the guys who puts the chickens on the skewers at the local Costco).  I started with the Fannie Farmer recipe (you can find it with a websearch for "Fannie Farmer Chicken Pot Pie recipe"), which only has crust on top.  But it has mutated a lot from that beginning.  Everything is scaled up by about a factor of 1.5 (and I probably should bump the cream/broth/roux liquid up to double the original recipe, keeping the meat-and-vegetables as they are now, because there isn't really enough gravy in it as it is), because our dutch oven is of a size that's too big for the base recipe.  We substitute in half-&-half for the heavy cream, because we keep h&h on hand but not heavy cream.  I cut up two red potatoes and a large carrot and a modest onion wedge and steam those.  I put in frozen peas, frozen corn, and a can of mushrooms.  The entire family are black pepper fiends so I use maybe a tablespoon of fresh ground pepper.  I cannot make a pie crust to save my life, so for a crust I mix up a batch of Bisquik biscuits and drop pinches of that batter on the top of everything else to mimic a biscuit crust.

Do you mean to say that your son is a chicken sticker? 🐔😜    You recipe sounds good (much better than mine) but more than my tired brain could handle trying to cook after work back then.  I was looking for something cheaper than delivery but about as fast, that I could make while half asleep.

Yeah, it's not something I made in my single days; it's something I started making only two-three years back, because I remembered (decades back) that chicken pie was something that the army and dorm cafeterias made that actually was pretty good in the colder season.  Found that recipe in the cookbook, and I've tweaked it from there.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

This kinda counts, for sheer decadence.  I've been meaning to do cassoulet for ages now, but a) never thought about it far enough in advance, and b) sourcing the ingredients piecemeal is something of a pain.  But I saw this earlier:

https://www.dartagnan.com/cassoulet-recipe-kit/product/KCSLT002.html?utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=google-ads-google-shopping-main&utm_source=google&gclid=CjwKCAjwndCKBhAkEiwAgSDKQSbVxZz4c6jIYLlMzmAVeGM0TpY53oaXjfErR4yI4Euy62xiZE6D4xoCEwUQAvD_BwE

Oh my.

Duck leg confit (legs cooked in duck fat).  2 types of sausage.  French version of pancetta.  More duck fat.  

But should be sooooooooooooooooo good......  I intend to order this for Thanksgiving...the "serves 4-6".  Cassoulet will be *better* the next day so if this is enough for 3 dinners....COOL!!!  (No one believes it when it says "serves 4", right?  Or maybe I'm just a pig....)

Yeah, it's pricey as heck.  So what?  After the last 18 months, WE DESERVE TO INDULGE OURSELVES A LITTLE BIT!!!!!

And I've got a Chimay Blue (Grande Reserve) waiting to accompany it.

Nomnomnomnomnom.........

My Grand-Mère's recipes* are being held by the only person in my family who can't cook (my Aunt, who married into the family). Many years back, my Mom was trying to explain how to read the recipes to her, and had to explain the phrase, "Serves 4, or two people who want to eat", which was written on a recipe for a French chicken stew. It meant, serves 4 if you are having sides with it, or two people if it's the only item in the meal. My Aunt then asked what to do if you were having over more than 4 people. (She also became confused about the phrase, "season to taste".)

*These are family recipes, and the ones that she had gathered during her career as a professional chef. I'd really like to get my hands on them, so that I could scan them, and then make copies for everyone in the family. That's not going to happen, because my Aunt will not let them go under any circumstances. but she's never going to use them either.

29 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

My Grand-Mère's recipes* are being held by the only person in my family who can't cook (my Aunt, who married into the family). Many years back, my Mom was trying to explain how to read the recipes to her, and had to explain the phrase, "Serves 4, or two people who want to eat", which was written on a recipe for a French chicken stew. It meant, serves 4 if you are having sides with it, or two people if it's the only item in the meal. My Aunt then asked what to do if you were having over more than 4 people. (She also became confused about the phrase, "season to taste".)

*These are family recipes, and the ones that she had gathered during her career as a professional chef. I'd really like to get my hands on them, so that I could scan them, and then make copies for everyone in the family. That's not going to happen, because my Aunt will not let them go under any circumstances. but she's never going to use them either.

That kinda bites.  

There was one family recipe I wanted...and got the original 3x5 card.  Simple chocolate muffins called cocoa gems.  Just cocoa powder, flour, sugar, water, and baking powder, IIRC...very simple.  But a memory from my childhood I cherish...even if I don't make them any more.  Dratted diabetes, you know.  (First thing to go was empty carbs, and sugar and white flour are pretty much the definition of empty carbs.)  

Could you maybe convince your aunt to at least take phone pics?  Go high res and plan to blow them up if you have to, but at least you'd have them.  And even if there's a bunch...maybe it takes a couple hours.  Like you'd mind in the slightest, right?

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

That kinda bites.  

There was one family recipe I wanted...and got the original 3x5 card.  Simple chocolate muffins called cocoa gems.  Just cocoa powder, flour, sugar, water, and baking powder, IIRC...very simple.  But a memory from my childhood I cherish...even if I don't make them any more.  Dratted diabetes, you know.  (First thing to go was empty carbs, and sugar and white flour are pretty much the definition of empty carbs.)  

Could you maybe convince your aunt to at least take phone pics?  Go high res and plan to blow them up if you have to, but at least you'd have them.  And even if there's a bunch...maybe it takes a couple hours.  Like you'd mind in the slightest, right?

Unfortunately, she won't do it. She's been asked numerous times by multiple members of the family, and I even offered to take pictures on one of my trips. That got me a firm decline, though she did send me a text document with six very generic Maine-related recipes, including one for lobster rolls (not something I'd make here in Las Vegas, and not one of the recipes that I was looking for). 

Never made mac and cheese...ever.  Might have had it served at home back in the day;  I don't recall.  If so, it wasn't common.  

What I worked on instead was scalloped potatoes...eventually completely from scratch.  Christmas Eve version had diced bacon and onions, sauteed, along with a cream sauce.  THAT took time...the prep took about an hour.  Cheese sauces are very time-consuming.  THen IIRC it was 90 minutes or so in the oven.  WAY more work that I was willing to do most of the time.

5 minutes ago, Cancer said:

My wife brought her family recipe for scratch mac and cheese with her, and I like it, and this from a guy who consider the cadmium orange-colored toxic waste out of the blue box to be ... orange toxic waste.

I would have said potassium dichromate orange, but you're not wrong. Quibble, quibble.

Never eaten marrow on its own, but certainly would like to.  I vaguely remember a Food Network show where the particular scene was about late-night dining in NYC, IIRC.  And a restaurant that catered to the late night crowd...particularly chefs.  One of the commonly requested dishes focused on marrow.  

Found this description:
https://www.escoffier.edu/blog/culinary-arts/using-marrow-in-your-cooking/

No chance of finding it down here, tho.  As for on the burger?  Wonder if it's a spread on the bun?  Sounds like that'd be appropriate, albeit rather pricey for what it might add.  Rest of the burger sounds great.