Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Re: Foods for those that just don't care anymore

My apple trees went crazy this year. I have so many apples the branches are literally hanging down to the ground. I picked a bunch and made a couple of pies and some cinnamon apple spread. More went into my lunches this week. I gave a bunch to my gaming group, and more to my neighbors. I picked a five-gallon bucket of them and took them to the convention I went to last weekend; most of them disappeared by Friday night. And my trees are still full!

Anyone want some apples? :help:

My apple trees went crazy this year. I have so many apples the branches are literally hanging down to the ground. I picked a bunch and made a couple of pies and some cinnamon apple spread. More went into my lunches this week. I gave a bunch to my gaming group, and more to my neighbors. I picked a five-gallon bucket of them and took them to the convention I went to last weekend; most of them disappeared by Friday night. And my trees are still full!

One thing we did last year when The Wife and her family went crazy apple picking is to make our own frozen pie filling. Just cut and peal enough apples to make a pie, add sugar/cinnamon/etc and freeze in a storage bag. Since you are doing most of the work up front, later in the year when you have a hankering for an apple pie, just thaw, dump the bag into a pre-made pie crust (we always have some on hand) and bake. Voila. I think we made a half dozen or so pre-made/measured bags last year.

If you don't want to use a pie crust, you can generally make a crisp topping with staple goods from the pantry.

They also make good meals-on-wheels comfort food for when friends/family need a pick me up. Just use a disposable pie plate so they don't need to worry about cleaning and returning a good one.

I'd love some apples. Unfortunately, I'm no where near you. :(

What kind of apples?

For the 20th anniversary we went last night to Rovers. Had the Menu Dégustation (though my wife swapped in foie gras for the quail). We split a wine pairing. We know from experience that their wine pairing is too much wine for one of us, and their Grand Menu Dégustation is too much food for us as well. Over the top.

"Every piece of meat at Meatopia is certified cruelty-free, hormone-free, and antibiotic-free. We celebrate meat eating of every kind, but with the crucial caveat that the meat have lived well, been fed right, and died in a humane, respectful way. We love meat, but we love animals too."

What is the preferred "humane, respectful way" to kill a bull or hog? Obviously not a way that leaves the critter any less dead. This reminds me of the argument whether Kosher/Halal slaughter is any less or more cruel than the industrialized methods used in goyim commercial slaughterhouses.

Why is 'no antibiotics' a good thing?

The Whole Foods chain of specialty grocers has this article on its website citing their reasons for refusing meat raised with antibiotics. The main reasons cited are medical, both for cattle and for people.

The majority of respondents were extremely or very concerned about issues related to the use of antibiotics in animal feed' date=' including the potential creation of superbugs due to overuse of antibiotics, unsanitary and crowded conditions for livestock, human consumptions of antibiotic residue, and environmental effects due to agricultural runoff containing antibiotics. [/quote']