Fungi from Yuggoth Powers

Vestnik

Hi all, I've been absent from here for some time but I was inspired to post again.

Inspired in part by the Cthulhu Powers thread and in part to complement another Mythos-based supers character I've already designed (the half-ghoul son of Pickman from Pickman's Model, a Batman variant), I decided to build another Lovecraftian superhero. This one is the prduct of the injection of Mi-Go DNA (do they have DNA? sure they do) into a human being.

Any ideas for powers? Obvious ones are:

Extra-terrene and rugose body (Damage Reduction -- but it's so expensive! Maybe Desolid?). Regeneration. Extra Limbs.

Flight

FTL Flight (flying on ether)

Heaps of Life Support to allow flying in space

Enhanced Senses

Super-Intelligence (which gets REALLY costly)

Any ideas for others? Especially I'm in need of offensive powers. Claws are an obvious one, but you know, superheroes and Killing Attacks as their only attack...

Thanks!! May Great Cthulhu keep you safe.

Re: Fungi from Yuggoth Powers

Hi all, I've been absent from here for some time but I was inspired to post again.

Inspired in part by the Cthulhu Powers thread and in part to complement another Mythos-based supers character I've already designed (the half-ghoul son of Pickman from Pickman's Model, a Batman variant), I decided to build another Lovecraftian superhero. This one is the prduct of the injection of Mi-Go DNA (do they have DNA? sure they do) into a human being.

Any ideas for powers? Obvious ones are:

Extra-terrene and rugose body (Damage Reduction -- but it's so expensive! Maybe Desolid?). Regeneration. Extra Limbs.

Flight

FTL Flight (flying on ether)

Heaps of Life Support to allow flying in space

Enhanced Senses

Super-Intelligence (which gets REALLY costly)

Any ideas for others? Especially I'm in need of offensive powers. Claws are an obvious one, but you know, superheroes and Killing Attacks as their only attack...

Thanks!! May Great Cthulhu keep you safe.

Lovecraftian horrors are invading the champions forum! :eek:

Mi-Go would likely not have DNA if they evolved on a separate line than terrestrial life. I haven't read much on the Mi-Go. However, since the Mi-Go like to experiment on us so much (to gain our power to make illogical jumps in science iirc), a Mi-Go experiment to create a hybrid would be perfectly in character.

As for powers, yes on most except desolid. Also, couldn't they grow grafts for their body? That could be a vpp.

And I don't think hka claws will be a problem in any game linked to Lovecraftian horror. Thats like worrying about carrying a swiss army knife to an NRA meeting.

The character is based on Lovecraftian horror. He however is an idealistic hero with a Total CvK -- for now! :) Maybe he doesn't even know that he is a hybrid. Hmmm...

I pictured the Desolid as kind of a forcing-oneself-through-the-borders-between-other-dimensions sort of thing. Just because Lovecraft doesn't mention it doesn't mean they can't do it! And it is a Lovecraftian trope.

The character is based on Lovecraftian horror. He however is an idealistic hero with a Total CvK -- for now! :) Maybe he doesn't even know that he is a hybrid. Hmmm...

I pictured the Desolid as kind of a forcing-oneself-through-the-borders-between-other-dimensions sort of thing. Just because Lovecraft doesn't mention it doesn't mean they can't do it! And it is a Lovecraftian trope.

You might want to roleplay the Mi-Go part of your brain with flashes of cold emotionless clarity, increased knowledge, and the abandonment of moral restrictions (a Mi-Go would do what was necessary and pragmatic, reguardless of human moral structure). Basically, any Mi-Go experiment, would be an attempt to create a mind that could make logical leaps, like a human mind, while retaining the knowledge and power of a Mi-Go mind. Considering that you are on Earth and have limited conscious knowledge, the experiment a) failed, B) was only a partial success, c) is an ongoing transformation that they wish to observe, or d) was disrupted because the test subject escaped. I like the idea of a terrible transformation/alien conscious in a hero's mind, but it is hard to pull off.

Normally, one does not assume that a Lovecraftian horror has more powers than normal. They are scary enough. Anyway, do what you want, Mi-Go like to experiment. Also, in Locraft other-dimension always has something humans wouldn't like to see, so you might want to put a few side effects on a desolidification.

Also, in Locraft other-dimension always has something humans wouldn't like to see, so you might want to put a few side effects on a desolidification.

Hmmm, how about: Desolidification (40 Active Points), Activation Roll

(15; -1/4), Side Effects (Summons one Hostile 250-Point Eldritch Horror; -?) (Real Cost ?)

The interdimensional gate got a little too wide...

Hmmm, how about: Desolidification (40 Active Points), Activation Roll

(15; -1/4), Side Effects (Summons one Hostile 250-Point Eldritch Horror; -?) (Real Cost ?)

The interdimensional gate got a little too wide...

Flash versus Sanity, err Mental yeah Mental Group...

How would one go about making it so that as the character's dimensional shifting powers are used, they get more and more unstable as the boundary between the worlds gradually wears away, making it more likely something goes wrong or someTHING comes through? Would this be some variety of Jam, or Ablative?

This could only be a non-lethal attack in a Superhero game.

But how about a no range energy blast linked to the desolid?

Basically he shifts partially into another dimension/level of being and passes through the target, wildly vibrating or disrupting all the molecules in their body as a result. Even for a Brick that's gotta hurt.

Alternative/additional powers.

You could make the attack NND. The normal defence is of course being a creature which is not made from terrestrial matter.

A ranged energy blast which requires a full move. The character rips through the walls of this reality/passes through a different form of space and unleashes a shockwave of non-terrestrial energy.

I love all the ideas, but the Affects Physical World advantage is just too expensive for a character in this (350 point) range, which I would need to have it linked to Desolid. (Right?)

Of course I could just not bother with the Link. He's just opening up the gate a little bit, after all. :)

I'm still not seeing the connection between the Mi-Go and desolidification. They are more into biological technology. What made you choose Mi-Go as a super hero base anyway? They are aparently one of the least powerful Lovecraftian races and the desolidification power you're looking at, while common to Lovecraft, is unconnected to the Mi-Go.

Actually, Mi-Go are occasionally portrayed as insubstantial, particularly in some of August Derleth's stories, but I always figured it was a "technological effect".

I would suggest that the Mi-Go might have used their knowledge of biology to implant a weapon into their "subject". A freeze beam, perhaps (they're kn own to use such weapons).

Actually, Mi-Go are occasionally portrayed as insubstantial, particularly in some of August Derleth's stories, but I always figured it was a "technological effect".

I would suggest that the Mi-Go might have used their knowledge of biology to implant a weapon into their "subject". A freeze beam, perhaps (they're kn own to use such weapons).

That's a bit above and beyond the "injected with Mi-Go DNA" but whatever. The op only mentioned hybridization and since the character apparently had no knowledge of what happened, I assumed he wasn't walking arround with a cache of alien weapons. Since a pureblooded Mi-Go wouldn't hold a candle to most 350 point supers, a hybrid would have to have a big edge of some sort. I'm wondering why hybrid in a techy race without grabbing some tech when there are untechy options (starspawn, shoggoth, etc.).