Fallout 3: Postapocalyptica

Thia Halmades

Re: Fallout 3: Postapocalyptica

Speaking of which' date=' who here has beaten the game, and what are your thoughts? I beat it a few days ago, and must say I was slightly disappointed. Not because it was a bad ending, but because it just didn't live up to the rest of the game.[/quote']

I haven't beaten it yet, although I've heard echoes of 'boo' from multiple crowds. In part, though, I think this speaks to Bethesda's general design. The major quests in and of themselves can be extremely satisfying, such as Head of State and The Wasteland Survival Guide. However, if we could make sure to put anything quest-log specific & plot specific inside

tags, that would be of great benefit to those who have not beaten the game or completed a specific quest.

That really depends on what you want to do; if you're going for a smooth-talking type, you'll need Lady Killer/Black Widow, Child at Heart and the Scoundrel perks. If you're going gun-bunny, you'll want Finesse, Bloody Mess (annoying, but hey, what are you going to do?) and then weapon-perk-flavor-as-necessary, such as Gun Nut (5 Small Arms/5 Repair) or Size Matters (15 Big Guns, which if you use Big Guns, is probably one of the single best perks in the game as it gives you a full dedicated level of skill points in a single shot).

I tend to avoid: Here & Now, Personal Training (I forget the exact name, but it's +1 SPECIAL) and other 'light weight' perks. Here & Now is particularly useless because all you've really done is gained HP & Skill Points, and lost a Perk. I'm sure there are arguments the other way, but I don't see the purpose.

There are more perks I'd like to see; I'd like to see improved auto-fire, that kind of thing. I listed some of my other 'to improves' on the list. Hopefully we'll get new Perks with the DLC. But those hopefully get you off in the right direction.

I often play Monks or other HTH types in games. Do you think that would be possible with Fallout3?

I often play Monks or other HTH types in games. Do you think that would be possible with Fallout3?

Haven't tried it myself, but there are several perks that are designed specifically for hand to hand. "Paralyzing Palm" I believe is one. Also, there are several weapons in the game like Power Fists and various brass knuckles that are designed to help you out with that.

Not sure how well it works, but they seem to have it in mind.

Oh, entirely. There's even special-issue Unarmed Weapons, like the Deathclaw Gauntlet and Power Fist. There are also some AWESOME melee weapons, like the Shishkebob (a lawnmower blade, a motorcycle handbrake, a motorcycle gastank... and a pilot light, I think) to create a flaming sword. So you can absolutely do melee combat. Be advised.

Your sense of honor may come up short in the face of, say, a Super Mutant with a mini-gun. But yeah, those things are possible. You'll probably want a high Stealth skill to get up behind fools and then punk them for high critical damage. If you build up your unarmed you'll have the one weapon in the game that does not require constant maintenance.

For that tree I would take: Unarmed Combat, Melee Combat, Explosives (you can't really go wrong with Explosives... seriously), Stealth, Lock Picking, and then start building in Perks that give you additional Stealth & Melee or Unarmed; Little Leaguer is great because it grants +5 Melee & +5 Explosives, I think (swinging bats & throwing grenades). Silent Running means that you never take a Stealth penalty for running, and so on. There's also a Ninja perk, a Sandman perk (killing people while sleeping) and so on. You may want to get the Dart Gun (I BELIEVE I got those schematics for finishing Head of State) as it cripples your targets and does Damage Over Time.

Your sense of honor may come up short in the face of' date=' say, a Super Mutant with a mini-gun. But yeah, those things are possible. You'll probably want a high Stealth skill to get up behind fools and then punk them for high critical damage. If you build up your unarmed you'll have the one weapon in the game that does not require constant maintenance.[/quote']

Do the NPCs ever run out of ammunition in this game?

Since FO3 is available for the PS3, XBox and PC do any of you have a recommendation for which version to get?

I typically prefer the PS2 for shooters and the PC for tactical and turn based games when there was an option. Not sure if this will change with the PS3 and 360.

Since FO3 is available for the PS3, XBox and PC do any of you have a recommendation for which version to get?

I typically prefer the PS2 for shooters and the PC for tactical and turn based games when there was an option. Not sure if this will change with the PS3 and 360.

I am not sure how well the PS3 or Xbox 360 can be modded. For that reason alone, I suggest the PC version. I can tell you now that I could not play the vanilla Oblivion game anymore. The mods make all the difference in the world. I am going to hold off getting Fallout 3 until something like Oscuros Oblivion Overhaul comes out for Fallout 3.

If the other versions have avenues for modding, then all bets are off.

1) All the DLC for FO3 is only on Windows/360.

2) The GECK module (the mod community tool) is being released shortly and is going to be PC specific. I have the 360 version because I play games on consoles (now that they've caught up to what I wanna do) and are LARGELY identical. If the Windows content goes to the 360, superwin. If you have an option, get the PC version.

I almost NEVER exhort a 360 version over a PS3 version, but the modders go PC first, then I'd go 360 in console because it gets content, then PS3, which is a port of the 360 version (whereas the Windows/360 were codevved).

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I broke down and picked this up as a X-mas present for the kids and me. We all love Oblivion, so I figured that I cannot go wrong with a Post-Apoc version of the Oblivion engine.

I've played for about ten consecutive hours and I have my own observations. The first of which is that while I like the game, it doesn't grab me in the way Oblivion did. In fact, Oblivion still holds my interest a little more. That may have to do with the fact that I have it modded to the point where it hardly resembles the "out of the box" version.

Back to Fallout 3.

I am going to start with the graphical detail. To those that have played Oblivion, it should come as no surprise that the engine used in both games is capable of astounding levels of terrain and environmental detail. That detail pays off in spades as you wander the wastelands. There is almost a tactile sensation of being in a lonely, desolate and dangerous place. If wandering the world of Fallout 3 does not put you into the mood to play some Post-Apoc game, nothing ever will.

I really love the intro into the game. I don't want to spoil it, but the whole concept really nods towards the Traveller character design. Some cool stuff. I imagine that it will get as old as the Oblivion prison break scenario, but for right now I am satisfied. Hopefully somebody will create an alternate start mod. Might be a little difficult as the character has sort of an established quest that the dialog revolves around in some places.

The story itself is somewhat convuluted. There is a main quest that takes place, but I am presently rounding up as many side quests as I can. The world is post apocalyptic to an extreme. After you leave the Vault, your main hq will be Megaton; named after an atom bomb right in the center of town. Nothing is safe to eat or drink. Every food or drink item I have found restores your characters health, but at the cost of accumulated radiation. The only thing "safe" I found is the Stim Packs, which restore health without the radiation danger. There are ways to counter the radiation, but having to rely on contaminated water and food makes for some harsh moments. And, I have run into some areas of pretty intense radiation where you pick up a Rad count just by hanging around.

Let me say that I have avoided reading tips, hints and walkthroughs before playing the game and there have been consequences. There are some notable differences between Oblivion and Fallout 3. The one I find most obnoxious is the Lockpicking system. I think Oblivion did it better with a person of any skill being able to pick any lock. The level of skill affects how easy it is. In Fallout 3, you have to be a certain skill level before even attempting a lock. That would be okay, but Lockpicking is not one of my specializations so I have missed many locks. Little details like that have made the game less rewarding.

The game is pretty lethal. I tend to die a lot in the wasteland, but I am getting better as I rise in level and familiarity with the game. The worst of that are the crippling wounds. Those will put a damper on your day and require precious stim packs, sleep ( a difficult pasttime) or a Doctor to fix.

Interestingly enough, I have avoided using the VATS system as much as possible. On the few occassions that I have resorted to it, I have not noticed too much improvement in ability. The slow mo/bullet time affect is really cool though.

Trying to scavenge as much ammo as possible has been difficult. The balance of weapons has been razor sharp. The only rounds I seemed to have a lot of were 10mm pistol rounds. That lasted until I raided a police station full of "super mutants." There I found the Hunting Rifle and .32 cal ammo in somewhat plentiful amounts. Enough for some amusing kills against those aforementioned mutants. For the most part, I am carting around some empty weapons, hoping to find more fuel for the flamer or 5mm rounds for the minigun. Heck, I'd settle for some 5.56mm rounds for the assault rifle.

Now, I have my little home in Megaton, some rifle rounds, and too few Stim Packs. I have made it to Level 4 and beaten a few quests. While the game has not captivated me as Oblivion did, I have started to acquire the taste for it. Looking forward to getting home and playing again. I still have a couple of pending quests to keep my busy and a large wasteland, that used to be Washington DC, to explore.

Follow up to previous post.

This game rocks. I spent my entire last day off starting out and playing a new character. I'll be honest and forthright here, I cheated. I was so annoyed at the Lockpicking and Hacking mechanics that I just bumped them up to a hundred. I can still break Bobby Pins and I can still mess up the hacking, so I feel not bad at all. In turn, just having access to the lock/terminal has greatly increased my fun level.

I have also modded the h-e-double hockey sticks out of the game. I have an improved rifle mod, a mod that allows me to repair weapons with glue, detergent, scrap metal or whatever. I have added some weapons like a .338 LaPua sniper rifle and a Desert Eagle .50AE. Heck, I even have a BSG officers uniform, though honestly I only wore that for a while before deciding it was too unbalanced. I have a Gunslinger (as in Roland and the Dark Tower) mod that I have not yet installed. Can't wait to try that one on for size with my next character. (P.S. If you are interested in running mods, I figured out a whole lot about the differences with FO3 and ES:IV. I maybe can help if you are having problems.)

I have delved further into the story and along more side quests. Sometimes, I have just done what comes natural in a Bethesda RPG; I wandered. I know that this is a Post-Apocalytpic game, but to me it feels more like a Western game. The little shanty towns and overall positive attitude of the NPCS belies the desperate post-apoc intent. When I am in a Vault (there are many of them in the game) I can't help but think about a BSG-style spaceship theme. My HERO roots are really coming back to haunt me :)

As I said, the overall mood of the game is too positive for Post-Apoc. There are certainly elements of Post-Apoc (mutants, radiation damage, defunct technology), but I always pictured post-apoc as rather more bleak. Almost every NPC has a positive outlook. For living in a radioactive wasteland, these folks are sure cheery. This isn't a bad thing, but I feel that this world has gone through the bad times already and things are on the upswing. Certainly more frontier exploration than mucking through the radioactive goo just to find something to eat that will delay your inevitable death by a few hours at best. And I actually like this feel. This sense of hope makes what could be a truly desolate game...fun.

There are several factions in the game. From the Brotherhood of Steel to the Enclave to the non-aligned raiders to the ghouls to the super mutants to....you get the idea. Having the ability to interact with all these various factions is very cool. I think one of my favorite things is to see one of the traveling caravans out in the waste. Gives you a chance to break up the pretty desolate landscape with a quick trading session. Besides, they may have Stims or Radaway to help you out.

I am sort of getting into the "too much ammo" point. Since I see society in this game as being on the upswing, I actually picture folks getting back to small scale manufacturing again. Everything has a worn, cobbled together look and that really makes sense.

Character development is very tangibly rewarding. When you gain a level, you get "stuff" for your character that has an immediate and often severe impact. I dumped all of my 21 Skill points into Big Guns and then bought the Size Matters Perk which adds another 15. A net increase of 36 points to a weapon skill translates into some serious damage being dealt with the given weaponry. Since it is nominally a point buy system, you have many options to choose from. In fact, the stat system has shades of HERO in it. All of the stats start out at 5 and you get a few points to distribute amongst them. Later, you can choose Perks that allow you to increase skills, gain special abilities or improve the stats. The leveling system is rather D20ish, but I can live with that.

If I were to complain about character development in any way, it would be that at level 12, my character is virtually a god with his weapons. With or without VATS, I can peg a monster/npc's head at over a hundred yards with my hunting rifle no problem and since damage is capped out, blow their head clean off. The only real challenges I face routinely are Super Mutant Goliaths. They can absorb a LOT of damage before dropping. Translation, I fire a lot of ammunition into them so I have to scrounge for some more later. That's where the challenge comes in. Scrounging for more ammo because you just blew 500 5mm rounds into the bastiche.

I noticed two other drawbacks; gore and ideology. Simply put there is too much gore in the game. Yeah, the first time you see your hunting rifle blow some poor sod's head into many pieces or clean off the shoulders, you get a thrill. It's gross, but hey, look what I did. Sadly, when that happens every single time you head shot somebody, it loses the whole "look how cool I am" aspect and just becomes silly and boring. And it is still gross. I wish I knew how to mod that down to a lower chance, so you only get the visual effect say once in every 20-50 kills.

I will spoiler tag the ideology part. In part to prevent spoilers and in part because my Rant Engine has been engaged.

And of course, the faction that puts itself forward as the heirs to American (read United States) values is in actuality the bad guys. God I am really beginning to HATE that in current media trends. For ONCE in the last two decades, can we have the American Values folks actually be the good guys? Is that too much to ask for? Can these AV folks spout out an ideology and actually follow it instead of being an evil, conspiratorial, star chamber government behind the scenes? I could go on all day, but I won't. Suffice to say that the point where I learned this almost ruined the game for me. I content myself with the belief that there is another group somewhere that is actually trying to restore what made the U.S. great. Jingoist response/rant over.

I love Oblivion' date=' and hope to be getting [i']Fallout 3[/i] for X-Mas. In fact, if All Goes According To Plan, I may be getting it tonight. Which'll give me something Very Nifty to do during my week and a half of winter vacation :)
I am also an Oblivion lover, which made getting Fallout 3 a particularly easy step. Boy is the flavor different though. Have fun. :thumbup:

Nolgroth;

First, I preferred 'Lightsaber Messiah' to 'Online Gaming Advocate,' but who am I to judge? Moving on.

I think it's clear from the beginning of the game that the group you're referring to in your rant is entirely evil; if your skin didn't crawl the first time that snake oil salesman was audible, I'd be shocked. My friend Jason & I looked at each other, eyebrows raised, and went... "Um... that ain't right." As you continue through the game, you'll most assuredly get into 'too much ammo,' and its lack of weight is part of my own rant that I posted previously.

Now that my latest major undertaking is complete, I can go back to playing FO3 for a bit, but I wholly expect to enjoy it (I have) and be dissapointed at the end. You, as a PC user (most clearly) have the ability to mod, which is great. Those of us running on 360s can only shake our heads in envy.

Me?

I hated Oblivion. But I do love me some Fallout. If I can get Oblivion with guns? I'd be very happy.

Lightsaber Messiah is certainly one of those things that defined an era of my thought and fantastical whimsy. Online Gaming Advocate is something I've stepped back from. Maybe I need a new title. :)

I actually really liked those speeches and thought it would be really cool if the rhetoric being spouted over the airwaves was sincere. I rather got the initial idea that the group in question was simply too big for their breeches (so to speak). Perhaps it was my lack of previous Fallout experience.

And I love mods, so I feel really bad that you cannot participate in them. From the Necessities mod (food, water and sleep) to the various equipment mods, to the hairstyles and eye colors mods, to the gameplay mods that let me keep playing past level 20 and the main quest, I have been able to mold Fallout 3 into the game I want to play. I've even found a gore reduction mod. All I need now is a functional ammo weight mod. The one I have doesn't work.

Oblivion was fun when I ran it vanilla. Then I modded it and it became something different. It is better. Right now, my favorite character has some aftermarket armor that makes her look like a Catwoman that would fit right in with the Nolan Batman universe. Running around and beating up the bad guys like any other super hero is too fun. Hmmn. Maybe I should propose* a super hero game for Bethesda to do next. ;)

*Not that I have any say so over there, but it would be fun. Oh to be rich and be able to afford licensing costs.