Grond is up with podcast

Tribal

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Grond is up with podcast

True but Storns version & Zircher(sp?) were much better than this look. I understand that they want to make the characters their own but they just dont ring true with us diehard's of the original game. Its rather disappionting.

I don't know if Steve gave up complete creative control of the characters to them, I hope not.

It's a shame I'm not looking forward to this game when I should be thrilled and excited

He already said in the interview he's candidate for President and angry that he's locked out by the two-party system. If I wasn't already voting for Foxbat I'd be casting a ballot for Grond. He can indeed handle more issues than any major candidate... because he has more hands and you just can't argue with logic like that.

True but Storns version & Zircher(sp?) were much better than this look. I understand that they want to make the characters their own but they just dont ring true with us diehard's of the original game. Its rather disappionting.
*shrug* I like this better. Art is utterly subjective.

I don't know if Steve gave up complete creative control of the characters to them' date=' I hope not.[/quote']Well DOJ (not just "Steve") sold the Champions intellectual property to Cryptic. So yes, they did. DOJ may still have input (I don't know). But "control?" No.

Guest Admiral C

Well DOJ (not just "Steve") sold the Champions intellectual property to Cryptic. So yes, they did. DOJ may still have input (I don't know). But "control?" No.

I'm curious if when 6th Ed comes out does this mean that we will seem the end of the meta universe and that aside from different universes for Star Hero and Fantasy Hero there will be another "minor" supers product line and universe to go with it. The rationale being that this other supers line has some sort of theme that sets it apart from a free for all of special effects that is Champions.

Maybe not just supers. Maybe another Dark Champions line whose special effect is "It's not modern day it's near future." I could see Kazei 5 filling such a role.

My understanding is that the Champions Universe IP is still usable by DOJ under perpetual license from Cryptic Studios, so DOJ can continue to tie it into the meta-setting if they wish. Considering how many elements of that meta-setting are foundations of the modern-day CU -- survivors from ancient civilizations, alien races -- I'd be surprised if Hero Games didn't continue to use it.

My understanding is that the Champions Universe IP is still usable by DOJ under perpetual license from Cryptic Studios' date=' so DOJ can continue to tie it into the meta-setting if they wish. Considering how many elements of that meta-setting are foundations of the modern-day CU -- survivors from ancient civilizations, alien races -- I'd be surprised if Hero Games didn't continue to use it.[/quote']Well, they'd be crazy not to use it if the MMORPG is successful at all. :)

Good point, Derek. :yes:

I notice that once again, the response to this depiction of Grond on the Cryptic boards, from people not familiar with his earlier incarnations, is strongly positive, contrasting with remarks posted here. Maybe us old fa.. er, veterans just need to get used to it. I eventually came to like the saurian Grond of the DOJ era, despite initially preferring the more human-looking "classic" Grond (which this newest rendition actually looks more like).

Actually, the changes aren't that suprising when you consider that several of the major NPC's in the Champions Universe are direct knockoffs of established comic characters.

I'd be willing to bet that a real lawyer was involved in the decision.

I think this is the case. Grond's ear-fins from the original Zircher version were probably too close to the Abomination's look for Cryptic's comfort, so I can't really blame them for changing the head. It's really not any worse than the 5th Edition version.

I hope the in game version isn't such a freaking neon green though. And those fifth edition hands have to go.

I like Zircher's the best, but we aren't going to see him in a video game. :(

I like it. As others have said, I would have lost the horns though. Other than that I like the look and think it fits in well with the general style for the game so far. Ah well, I guess you can't please everyone.

Oh and I dig the bright green. Very radioactive!