CthulhuTech

mayapuppies

Dunno if anyone is interested in this RPG, but I had some free time while on the clock at my FLGS and decided to take a read of it.

The book is horribly organized. Page numbers are only on the odd pages, not always in the same location and sometimes not even there and they tend to blend into the "design" of the page too well.

The index lists items under different names than they are listed in the actual book and the page numbers will often refer to the least informative location of the item you're trying to find. Combined with the above page numbering...this can be slightly infuriating.

The fan service is rampant throughout the book. The most powerful melee weapon is a katana. They've included the word "ninja" about as often as they can possibly get away with it.

The editing really seems like a made up title for some friends of theirs as I can't see where they did their job.

Now for the good stuff...

Somehow they were still able to combine Cthulhu, 30' mecha, power armor, martial arts, magic, horror, psionics, and aliens all into a wonderfully cohesive and entertaining game world.

The art is incredibly evocative and does an incredible job of portraying the game world and making you feel like you're there.

I have access to the main rulebook and to the Vade Mecum companion book.

I have no idea if the mechanics are any good, I have HERO System for that and I am currently converting it over. If you're interested, I can start posting the HDV3 files that I create.

http://www.cthulhutech.com

Re: CthulhuTech

I'd actually been working on a campaign environment (with no set system yet) about Cthulhu in Space, when this came out. Frankly, the book coming out killed all my momentum. I just felt less enthusiastic about it with someone else having done the topic (and probably far more elaborately than I was going to).

Here are the quick write-ups for Para-Psychic Powers:

All para-Psychic Characters must choose a category of powers that they classify as their Primary: Environmental, Manipulative, Sensory, and Somatic.

They must also select a Secondary and Tertiary power category. As a house rule, the powers in the Secondary category will cost twice as much while the Tertiary will cost 3x as much.

Each Sub-Power within a category is built as a Cosmic VPP. Each VPP must be built on the following point levels, with no variance.

Student: 5AP

Novice: 10AP

Adept: 20AP

Expert: 40AP

Master: 80AP

Whenever a skill roll is failed when "casting", the character must make an EGO Roll (called an Insanity Test) with a negative modifier equal to the powers AP/10. Failure results in the gaining of Insanity Points as indicated by the VPP description.

All Powers must cost END.

All powers that the characters create for their VPP's must fit the theme of the VPP's.

Here is the Tager stuff:

Each Tager character must select the Base Tager prefab and then select a specific Tager type.

The Tager Multiform must include all of the disads, martial arts, skills, powers and talents that the 'mortal' character has.

If the 'mortal' character has his characteristics increased then the Multiform must also be increased by the same amount.

The Tager Multiform cannot be modified outside of the above mandates.

• 2 weeks later...

My Space Opera campaign is right up this alley. I was actually inspired by Iron Crown Enterprises Darkspace campaign setting from back in the day. Its very Lovecraftian in nature. I've also taken some inspiration from Battlelords of the 23rd Century (the Arachnids). Maybe I'll check out Cthulutech. More nasty creatures to add to my campaign is never a bad thing. (my campaign doesn't have magic though, just lots of Psionics being thrown around. Gotta love the Psi-corps)

I'd actually been working on a campaign environment (with no set system yet) about Cthulhu in Space' date=' when this came out. Frankly, the book coming out killed all my momentum. I just felt less enthusiastic about it with someone else having done the topic (and probably far more elaborately than I was going to).[/quote']

That seems like a major hazard of the hobby. I had been working for quite a while on my frontier fantasy setting when Northern Crown and Colonial Gothic came out. And I'm pretty sure Bob Greenwade had been toying with his wizards in space ideas before Dragonstar came out. Ya just gotta roll with it, and work out your own ideas. And if you're not going to publish it, you can even steal from the other guys.

I recommend having a look at a few of the critters and the history of the Shanask and the Sorce in Metascape 2 as well-

http://www.mentalwinds.com/

Seems very cool. Reminds me a lot of Battlelords of the 23rd Century. I'm at work right now, but I'm going to download it when I get home to take a closer look. I'm sure there's something in there I can use for my game. (more weapons and armor are always a good thing)

Stuff from Warhammer 40' date='000[/i'] would likely fit such a game as well, particularly the Tyranids and the Necrons. Here's one good source for HERO stats for them: http://www.tigerseyemedia.com/tiger/40khero.html

And there is also (for a sample Lictor at least):

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationscreatures/games/tyranidlictor.html

-Carl-

Guest Major Tom

For some reason, the phrase "CthuluTech" conjures up the image of

an instruction sheet that reads "Insert slime-covered Tentacle A

into Undulating Orifice B".

Major Tom :eek:

• 4 weeks later...