Mind Scan confusion

Tech

Re: Mind Scan confusion

A Fantasy Campaign with a Beastmaster type' date=' Mental Powers vs Animal is just as important vs Human. And just as different.[/quote']

In the right campaign, I absolutely accept that the relative value of mind control of different classes can be equal, but in the vast majority of campaigns, I'd suggest that is not the case.

In the right campaign' date=' I absolutely accept that the relative value of mind control of different classes can be equal, but in the vast majority of campaigns, I'd suggest that is not the case.[/quote']

I would argue that in virtually any Modern to Futuristic campaign Machine Class of Mind would be equal if not at some times greater than Human Class of Mind. The fact that a machine must have intelligence doesn’t limit the powers as much as you seem to think, especially since MOST computers do not have EGOs (unless they have A.I., or security built in as EGO).

You also seem to be stuck looking at only Mind Control when thinking of MCoM. What about the rest of the Mental Powers? With Ranged, Indirect, Telepathy in a suite of Mental Powers aimed at MCoM you would have access to any information on any regular computer you walk by; you don’t even need to know how to use the computer. Add a few more dice and you’ll be able to get past most security software, and read (and control if you buy MC) most mechanical automatons you may run into. Add “Eidetic Memory” with limits only to apply it to information gleaned from your MCoM Telepathy and you have the ultimate information gatherer.

What about Mental Illusion? Any security system with a centralized computer (and most modern security systems are computerized) can be fooled with the Mental Illusion “No one is here.” Since Mental Illusion covers all senses that would cover motion detectors, heat sensors, even cameras, AND anyone viewing the cameras live wouldn’t see you either since the system doesn’t “see” you.

Also, although I haven’t played Star HERO, I have played several sci-fi RPGs, and everyone I’ve played has had computer navigation to at least some extent in the ships. I know I’m being genre specific, but if even ¼ of the average campaigns run are modern to futuristic/sci-fi in range I think it’s worth having in the system.

While I agree with you to some extent that there should be some kind of control power for inanimate objects, it would require a lot of consideration. Would it only work on electronics or on mechanical devices as well? What about the “arming a nuke” example in the other thread where your control power idea was discussed. Replacing MCoM in the Mental Powers with a new control power may be more efficient and more versatile than using Mental Control on MCoM, but what about the other mental powers that can be used on machines?

I guess my biggest argument is that, while the Class of Mind distinction may not be absolutely necessary, IMO it: 1) Does more good than harm, and 2) Simplifies using Mental Powers on anything/one other than human/playable species, which could be fairly confusing and even more “house rule-y” than simply adjusting CoM to fit your specific campaign.

Well, there's my point - in some games machine control IS more useful than human control - but with CoM rules it costs the same, just as, in a modern game in a big city, animal control (or telepathy or MI or whatever) costs the same, even though you'll probably not get as much utility from it.

I know you want a new control power for controlling inanimate objects, and that would obviously replace MC for machines, but what about Telepathy, MI, Mind Scan, etc.? Do you recommend a complete new suite of machine based/usable on machine powers? Just curious.

I don't want to be argumentative, but one last thought. The usefullness of every power available varies, often drastically, from campaign to campaign, but I don't think that's a reason to make any of them optional rules. I guess that's just my opinion on it.

In the right campaign' date=' I absolutely accept that the relative value of mind control of different classes can be equal, but in the vast majority of campaigns, I'd suggest that is not the case.[/quote']

That wasn't the accusation now was it? The post right before mine said ANY campaign.

I can think of a few.

And utility cost of anything is going to be campaign dependent anyways so that's a silly little strawman argument. Play a campaign on Dune and suddenly Swimming is way the heck over priced now isn't it?

You can make any power in the book be over priced or under priced or priced just right depending on how you construct the campaign. Goldilocks would have a ball with Hero.