Power cost calculator?

TheDux

So I am new to Hero System. Like all new RPGs I like to make some sample/test characters to get use to creation system. I am having an issue with power costs with modifiers.

I am not bad at math, I am pretty decent with math, but I think I am missing something with power costs.

So what I am looking for is an article/formula/calculator/explanation/math lesson.

I would like to get this down without a calculator. But I would like to get a calculator for quick and accurate calculations once I start doing more powers/characters.

Thanks in advance.

NOTE: Like I said I think I am missing something. This happens from time to time with math for me. I miss one detail and I am lost.

Re: Power cost calculator?

Hero Designer is great if you are GM for making PC's and NPC's.

For players a calculator or a GM with Hero Designer is great.

I created four characters for my Pulp game with Hero Designer in about 1.5 hours (by using prefabs and pre-design skill packages).

Add the base points together, including adders. Multiply by (1 + Total Advantage Multipliers). Divide this total by (1 + Total Disad Multipliers' absolute value). The result is your Real Cost.

Energy Blast: 5 Points per die. A 2d6 EB is therefore 10 Points.

Armor Piercing: +1/2, or 0.5. 10 x 1.5 = 15.

OAF -- Obvious Accessible Focus, like a gun -- is -1. So 15 / (1 + 1) = 15 / 2 = 7. (Always round down in HERO.)

So your 2d6 Armor-Piercing EB Gun will cost 7 points.

For doing Power Costs by hand, break it down into three steps:

Base Cost

Active Cost

Real Cost

Base Cost:

We'll take Teleport as an example, so I can demonstrate Adders.

6 Inches of Teleport costs 12 Points, the Adder x2 Non-Combat Movement is +5 Points.

Your Base Cost is 12 + 5 = 17 Points.

Active Point Cost:

Formula - [base Cost * (1 + Sum of Advantage Values)]

If you are applying no Advantages your Active Points = Base Points (Base Cost * 1).

Taking our Teleport, we'll add a Reduced Endurance Advantage, the 0 END level. An Advantage Value of +1/2.

Should look like this: [base Cost * (1 + 1/2)] or [12 * 1.5] = 18 Active Point Cost

Real Cost:

Formula - [Active Cost / (1 + Absolute Value Of Sum of Limitation Values)]

If you are applying no Limitations your Real Cost = Active Cost (Active Cost / 1)

Taking our Teleport again we'll apply an Advantage that says "Only From Shadow To Shadow" the GM told me it was worth a Limitation of -1/2.

Should look like this: [Active Cost / (1 + 1/2)] or 18 / 1.5 = 12 Real Point Cost

End Result:

Shadow Jump 6" Teleport; x4 Non-Combat; 0 END (+1/2); Only In Shadows (-1/2) [18 Active Points, 12 Real Points]

The biggest sticking point is that Limitations are listed as negative numbers but the formula in the book says (1 + Limitation Values) and anyone doing actual math ends up with (1 + -1/2 + -1 . . .) and comes out with something funky. When plugging the Advantages and Limitations into the formula strip the +/- off of them, total them into a number and then plug them in as positive numbers.

And the fast method: Buy Hero Designer. :)

I would like to add...that is instantly quick...so...I guess the next part is...is there a calculator?

I just looked at it again and I got it.

I use excel. If you search on-line you will find that alot of people have created excel character sheets. I have not gone that far I just have a sheet that I use that calcualte the active cost the real cost and the stun of a power for me. It's not too hard a basic understanding of excel will allow you to create such a tool.

Granted it does require you use the computer to create your characters... But it's better than doing the math if your not into fractional math.

I use excel. If you search on-line you will find that alot of people have created excel character sheets.

In fact there are still Excel character sheets for regular characters, and for vehicles, on the "Free Stuff" portion of this website. You can download them from here. Those spreadsheets and the Power Calculator sheet I attached above handle my chargen math pretty well. Thanks to Michael Bassinger, Kelly Hoffman, and Steven Trustrum for contributing them to help support our community. :hail:

Step 1: (Base Cost + Adders) * (1 + Advantages) = Active Points {round in character's favor}

Step 2: Active Points / (1 + Limitations) = Real Cost {round in character's favor}

Example:

Energy Blast is 5 points per 1d6

12d6 EB = 60 Active Points

No Adders

Advantages:

Autofire x5, +1/2 ~ .5

Limitations:

Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) ~ .5

1/2 DCV Concentration, -1/4 ~ .25

Only In HERO ID, -1/4 ~ .25

60 * 1.5 = 90 Active Points

90 / 2 = 45 Real Cost

I give a pretty lengthy multi-part explanation of this, among other things, in the Anatomy of a HERO document on my site.