Taser

Hyper-Man

Tasers and HERO was discussed in another recent thread but it was not the main topic. I figured it deserved its own thread.

After much thought I present an update on how I would build such a weapon in HERO. I am going with Suppress as the core of the build because every demonstration I have ever seen shows victims recovering within seconds after the effect is ended (something very difficult to do via a traditional Energy Blast based attack).

27 Taser (Alternative Build): Suppress STUN 6d6 (standard effect: 18 points), 4 clips of 4 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (The 'Charges' represent battery use. The 'Clips' represent the actual Darts that are fired. ; +0), Sticky (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (75 Active Points); OAF (-1), Lockout (-1/2), Limited Range (-1/4) [4 cc]

Notes: Since Suppress is already a constant power by default the addition of the Continuous Advantage allows additional effect rolls to add to the first on each subsequent Phase after the first for the duration of the Continuing Charge (1 Turn, -18 Stun 1st phase, -36 Total Stun 2nd Phase, -54 Stun 3rd Phase, etc...). This should bring down nearly any target within 10 seconds unless they have some Power Defense. Additional future 'charges' should be allowed to maintain (or even continue adding to) the previous Turn's 'cumulative' total (new darts are not being fired, just more battery juice being expended).

Re: Taser

Another alternate build - based on an Entangle with the idea it's more holding the target than hurting them. I suggest using the CON rolls the same as STR Rolls (CON/5 count the BODY), mostly because your physical strength has little to do with trying to resisting the effects. A typical person could not break out of a Taser. It's not intended to kill, hence the Side Effect.

Taser (Alternate Build A) Entangle 6d6, 0 DEF, Uses CON instead of STR for breakout attempts. (+0), Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation (+1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (+1/4) (90 Active Points); No Defense (-1 1/2), 4 Charges (-1), OAF (-1), Side Effects (Repeated use has a chance to kill target (chance is based on GM discretion, and may not occur); -1), Beam (-1/4), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Limited Range (-1/4) [90 Active Points / 14 Real Points]

Another alternate build:

Taser: 12d6 Mind Control, limited power (single command drop to the floor and convulse). -1/2 Mental Power based on CON. -1. Cost Endurance to Maintain -1/2. Normal range -1/4. Limited range 3" -1/4. Focus OAF -1. Limited power: target immediately breaksfree if: endurance cost is not paid, attacker is more than 3" distant from target, physical manifestation, the electrode wires, fragile. -1/2. [Active Points 60/ Real Cost 15]

Endurance Reserve. Limited Recovery only while plugged into a DC current source -1.

Another alternate build:

Taser: 12d6 Mind Control, limited power (single command drop to the floor and convulse). -1/2 Mental Power based on CON. -1. Cost Endurance to Maintain -1/2. Normal range -1/4. Limited range 3" -1/4. Focus OAF -1. Limited power: target immediately breaksfree if: endurance cost is not paid, attacker is more than 3" distant from target, physical manifestation, the electrode wires, fragile. -1/2. [Active Points 60/ Real Cost 15]

Endurance Reserve. Limited Recovery only while plugged into a DC current source -1.

I hadn't thought of combining Mind Control with Based on CON before. Actually has the potential to kill built in (with a high enough effect roll vs. a low CON target). I might change the command to "Stop using your muscles" with Telepathic to fit the sfx a little better.

:thumbup:

Another alternate build - based on an Entangle with the idea it's more holding the target than hurting them. I suggest using the CON rolls the same as STR Rolls (CON/5 count the BODY), mostly because your physical strength has little to do with trying to resisting the effects. A typical person could not break out of a Taser. It's not intended to kill, hence the Side Effect.

Taser (Alternate Build A) Entangle 6d6, 0 DEF, Uses CON instead of STR for breakout attempts. (+0), Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation (+1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (+1/4) (90 Active Points); No Defense (-1 1/2), 4 Charges (-1), OAF (-1), Side Effects (Repeated use has a chance to kill target (chance is based on GM discretion, and may not occur); -1), Beam (-1/4), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Limited Range (-1/4) [90 Active Points / 14 Real Points]

I like this one very much.

hmmm...

in my games this write up would hit some issues -

beam has almost no effect on entangles, which cannot be spread and there is no downside to using at max effect - and since this is charges there is as far as i can tell literally no disadvantage to using it as is.

the target cannot use attack powers to break the entangle. this is not covered anywhere as an advantage and its a serious one, especially considering the "use con not strength" as a freebie. Takes no damage merely means at +1/4 that some types of attacks directed AT THE CHARACTER dont affect the entangle but still lets attacks against the entangle blast it to bits. The net result of ignoring this in the build is a serious up in the net power for no increase in cost.

Example -

Take this power without the funky stuff - at 60 cp a standard entangle thrown against a brick sees a 60 str used to break it. if that entangle takes the "no defense" big time cost savings then it gets whacked by even minions blasters and such. its easily broken. Throw it at an energy blaster (if oif etc) and while his strength doesn't get the job done his 12d6 eb does. against minions they get thru the no defense version.

now throw in the freebie "uses con" and the

+1/4 not attacked and somehow it gains a lot of effectiveness...

without "no defense" yout typical brick or blaster wont even be able to escape as their 6d6 con vs 6 def is useless.

after the "no def" they are back to likely, assuming con in the 30 range, able to fight out as quickly as before, but they attack is 60% cheaper for being "as effective."

IMo in most games i have run going from "can use strength and/or attacks to escape entangle" to "can break out with con only" is a gross increase in effectiveness as almost not character would be that much worse off. IF i were to allow such a build, the caveat of "cannot use strength/attacks to break out" would be a no cost "also has no defense for free" kind of like the way when you move an EB to not work vs ED I might well consider "use con not strength and attacks as equitable trade off for "no defense"

hmmm...

in my games this write up would hit some issues -

beam has almost no effect on entangles, which cannot be spread and there is no downside to using at max effect - and since this is charges there is as far as i can tell literally no disadvantage to using it as is.

the target cannot use attack powers to break the entangle. this is not covered anywhere as an advantage and its a serious one, especially considering the "use con not strength" as a freebie. Takes no damage merely means at +1/4 that some types of attacks directed AT THE CHARACTER dont affect the entangle but still lets attacks against the entangle blast it to bits. The net result of ignoring this in the build is a serious up in the net power for no increase in cost.

I made a mistake, I forgot to increase Takes No Damage to the full +1/2 Level.

Also - Entangles are a ranged attack and you can Spread an Entangle. There's nothing anywhere that I'm aware of that says otherwise. Beam would prevent you from trying to hit two people at once, and prevent you from "lowering the juice" of the taser.