Poison's Champions Art Thread

Poison

Re: Poison's Champions Art Thread

Okay I finally finished drawing my Character for Rainbow's End on Hero Central, GM'd by Psybolt. It is a Martial Arts based Weapon-master.

I don't draw Martial Artists very often so please be kind. :)

I was trying to practice my perspective and action poses to get better at it, so I tried to do something very challenging. I spent 2 days thinking up the layout/pose/scene.

I spent 8 hours drawing this, which is 2x more than I normally would for this size of drawing. I was designing the costume at the same time I was drawing it so I spent a lot of time erasing, heh heh. Oh and drawing all those chain links REALLY SUCKED!!! Slap me if I do another chain based character!!! That was time consuming.

My character uses a Katana as well as that martial arts chain weapon (can't remember what it is called - GAH!). Oh and I gave her those martial arts shoes which has her big toe separate. I don't know what those are called either. Like I said, I don't do martial artists very often... :(

Well, here is the character I am playing. Her name is SPARROW (Tom designed the character and powers and I made minor adjustments to it to fit Rainbow's End - thanks for the great character buddy!):

http://ultimatesuperheroreview.sasktelwebsite.net/Characters/Sparrow.HTML

I would appreciate any feedback, it is probably the most extreme pose/shot I've ever drawn. I am always scared of doing these, cause they are so easy to screw up!

I am thinking of doing the speedlines in the colored version, showing the trajectory of her chain thrown backhanded.

If my drawing skill didn't show it (because I suck), she just jumped off the rooftop, hurling her chain at someone unsuspecting below. heh heh. I don't shade much when I plan to color, I like the inside to be as clean as possible. So it might be hard to tell at this stage...

Oh one last thing you won't really see until I color it. She has two small demon horns on her forehead. You can see them if you look close. Also she has a branding, or mark from the Demon that enslaved her. It is on her neck. I intend to make it look somewhat enchanted looking when I color it.

Enough rambling. Here is my NEW character! YAAAAAAAY!

Sparrow.jpg

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good work. You did a good job...

and I can see how Tom's hand may have influenced her character sheet. ;) He seems to have fun with chain weapons...

If I had to make any personal suggestion, I'd have made the chain vary more in thickness from behind, so it doesn't look so flat behind her. It doesn't help with it looking so 'flat' and then coming forward so sharply (it'd have been more gradual and undulated more if you had)

Of course, varying the thickness in a chain to make it do that would be a b#(*$& to draw, so... I can hardly blame you for doing it as you did. Better than anything I could have done ;)

Okay I finally finished drawing my Character for Rainbow's End on Hero Central, GM'd by Psybolt. It is a Martial Arts based Weapon-master.

I was trying to practice my perspective and action poses to get better at it, so I tried to do something very challenging. I spent 2 days thinking up the layout/pose/scene.

I spent 8 hours drawing this, which is 2x more than I normally would for this size of drawing. I was designing the costume at the same time I was drawing it so I spent a lot of time erasing, heh heh. Oh and drawing all those chain links REALLY SUCKED!!! Slap me if I do another chain based character!!! That was time consuming.

My character uses a Katana as well as that martial arts chain weapon (can't remember what it is called - GAH!). Oh and I gave her those martial arts shoes which has her big toe separate. I don't know what those are called either. Like I said, I don't do martial artists very often... :(

Well, here is the character I am playing. Her name is SPARROW (Tom designed the character and powers and I made minor adjustments to it to fit Rainbow's End - thanks for the great character buddy!):

I would appreciate any feedback, it is probably the most extreme pose/shot I've ever drawn. I am always scared of doing these, cause they are so easy to screw up!

I am thinking of doing the speedlines in the colored version, showing the trajectory of her chain thrown backhanded.

If my drawing skill didn't show it (because I suck), she just jumped off the rooftop, hurling her chain at someone unsuspecting below. heh heh. I don't shade much when I plan to color, I like the inside to be as clean as possible. So it might be hard to tell at this stage...

Oh one last thing you won't really see until I color it. She has two small demon horns on her forehead. You can see them if you look close. Also she has a branding, or mark from the Demon that enslaved her. It is on her neck. I intend to make it look somewhat enchanted looking when I color it.

Sparrow.jpg

very good poison btw was"nunchucku"the weapon name you were trying to remember?

I believe "nunchucku", commonly called “nunchucks”(sp?) in the west refers specifically to the weapons that are basically two tonfas (short sticks) connected by a short length of chain or rope. This may not be the actual definition, and perhaps “nunchucku” is actually a variety of chained or swinging weapons, but I don’t believe so…

Must spread rep :(

The weapon could be a manriki or a surujin if Japanese, or a meteor hammer if Chinese.

The "slippers with separate toe" are tabi

Love the pose, very dynamic. I agree that the chain would look better if the links were more in perspective, but that would just make drawing them even more fun :)

Looking forward to the coloured version!

very good poison btw was"nunchucku"the weapon name you were trying to remember?

Someone informed me on another forum the name of the weapon I was thinking of was Manriki Gusari.

Thanks so far to everyone who has posted comments on this picture. I really appreciate it! It was very challenging to draw for me.

The chains were a pain in the butt to draw, but when colored you will see faked perspective due to lighting effects. Remember I didn't do much shading in this picture because I intend to color it. ;)

I am going to use 2 light sources in this picture. One from the moon, and the other from a streetlight below to practice my coloring more.

The chain weapon is called a manriki gusari. The shoes are called tabi.

The pose is quite good. Once you've shaded things so the foreshortening is more apparent in the legs, you should be fine.

(Whoops. Didn't see the 8th page there. Looks like someone already answered the questions. :) )

Sparrow.jpg

I think it looks SWEET!!! :thumbup:

As far as honest feedback goes, I agree with what TrickstaPriest said about the chain. Although, it looks great the way it is drawing the chain foreshortened in the back and in perspective heading toward the front would give it some more depth. However, I certainly wouldn't want to draw all those chain links! :D

The pose is very dynamic and gives off the look that you were aiming for. I really like the addition of the wall/ledge that she's jumping off from.

Can't wait to see the colored pic!

okay i finally finished drawing my character for rainbow's end on hero central, gm'd by psybolt. It is a martial arts based weapon-master.

I don't draw martial artists very often so please be kind. :)

i was trying to practice my perspective and action poses to get better at it, so i tried to do something very challenging. I spent 2 days thinking up the layout/pose/scene.

I spent 8 hours drawing this, which is 2x more than i normally would for this size of drawing. I was designing the costume at the same time i was drawing it so i spent a lot of time erasing, heh heh. Oh and drawing all those chain links really sucked!!! Slap me if i do another chain based character!!! That was time consuming.

My character uses a katana as well as that martial arts chain weapon (can't remember what it is called - gah!). Oh and i gave her those martial arts shoes which has her big toe separate. I don't know what those are called either. Like i said, i don't do martial artists very often... :(

well, here is the character i am playing. Her name is sparrow (tom designed the character and powers and i made minor adjustments to it to fit rainbow's end - thanks for the great character buddy!):

http://ultimatesuperheroreview.sasktelwebsite.net/characters/sparrow.html

i would appreciate any feedback, it is probably the most extreme pose/shot i've ever drawn. i am always scared of doing these, cause they are so easy to screw up!

If my drawing skill didn't show it (because i suck), she just jumped off the rooftop, hurling her chain at someone unsuspecting below. Heh heh. I don't shade much when i plan to color, i like the inside to be as clean as possible. So it might be hard to tell at this stage...

Oh one last thing you won't really see until i color it. She has two small demon horns on her forehead. You can see them if you look close. Also she has a branding, or mark from the demon that enslaved her. It is on her neck. I intend to make it look somewhat enchanted looking when i color it.

Enough rambling. Here is my new character! Yaaaaaaay!

http://ultimatesuperheroreview.sasktelwebsite.net/graphics/sparrow.jpg

sweet!

Let me start by saying your art is freakin' fantastic. The one criticism I would have is the facial expression. She just jumped off a building and chucked (swung) a ball at someone but the face looks like she's just standing there waiting for a taxi. Along with that, the hair seems too perfectly placed to be on a woman who's free-falling off a building.

You have some good points. I think sometimes you are right about the face, she could be screaming and making "crazy face". Thanks for the feedback, I will be definitely thinking about this in my next few drawings.

I know for myself, when playing tennis for instance, I don't make "crazy face" each time I swing at the ball. My mouth is close lipped, and I am concentrating on the target. Could that not happen here? Maybe it could be more dramatic if she did "crazy face"... When I was drawing her, I had a vision in my mind of her being in control and disciplined. I think "crazy face" makes people look less in control, so that is why I chose the facial expression I did.

I think her hair looks a little messy around the edges, and where it is on her face. It isn't all nicely combed, so I am not sure how messy it should be, but she hasn't picked up a lot of velocity yet, as she "just" leapt off the building, and I imagined the scene as a calm moonlit night...

It is funny talking about realism regarding a demonesque ninja type leaping off a building... heh heh.

Thanks for your feedback, I will definitely keep those things in mind for my next projects. Sometimes you get caught up in the image and forget about the little things that can add to the picture... :)

I for one didn't think anything wrong with the face or hair. IMO a super-MA type that has short hair does so to keep the mess down. Most of the women I worked with adopted short hair stopped having a disheveled look. As for the expression, that would depend on the temperament. I can't see a super afraid of a fall ;), so her expression looked to me as coldly professional. She's bad ass and knows it and is going to take down her foe. She looks like the experienced super at work.

Just my 2 cents, but with just the pic, she looks like one of the 'A' team about to kick some ass.

By the way, she has a real good anime'ish look :D

Every time I feel bad at first (because I know how sometimes people can get carried away with criticism), but I get a chuckle each time I read through this... It is mean, but tickles my funny bone...

http://progressiveboink.com/archive/robliefeld.html

If this guy can be a pro for Marvel and DC getting paid "pro" rates for his drawing working on popular comics, maybe it is possible for me to one day sell a drawing before I die... :eek:

p.s. Sorry for not coloring my latest pic yet. I got tied up playing Metal Gear Solid 4 and Tomb Raider Underworld (my Xmas gifts). :)

I thought about the whole "Cool, calm, collect, Warrior" expression, but I started thinking, she still exerting herself. I mean just sit in your chair and throw a punch. Your mouth probably got tighter, your eyes may have squinted a bit. I don't know, like I said, the picture is brilliant, just something I noticed, and Poison asked for feedback.

Checkmate I think it was a good observation, I am glad you brought it up. I will be keeping what you said in mind for my next few drawings. I think it was good feedback. :)

When it comes to art, everything is subjective, and nothing is wrong, nor is any opinion wrong. It is all a matter of what looks good to you.

I hope you continue to post on my next few and give your honest opinion. It is much appreciated. No piece of art is perfect, anyone can find a flaw in everything someone does, I don't care who draws it, pro or not. It is a matter of whether you find it pleasing, and what it is you think would make it MORE pleasing to you that helps.

If it is bang on, let me know. If there is something you wish was in there that was missing, I like to know, or if I screwed something up, let me know so I can try and do better on the next one.

I thank everyone for their feedback on my art thread so far. It has all been good.

Great stuff. Just a question. If this drawing is a ninja (Shadowrun comes to mind), would her sword (ninja-to) handle be so long? Also shouldn't the scabard be showing, just a little? Of course, I still remember Domaru from the anime Dragon-Half who carried his sword in his head.:)