Poison's Champions Art Thread

Poison

Re: Poison's Champions Art Thread

Great stuff. Just a question. If this drawing is a ninja (Shadowrun comes to mind)' date=' would her sword (ninja-to) handle be so long? Also shouldn't the scabard be showing, just a little? Of course, I still remember Domaru from the anime Dragon-Half who carried his sword in his head.:)[/quote']

Wouldn't you say this is a little nitpicky? I mean isn't her chain too long? Google her chain weapon. Find me one that long... ;)

I can't see how adjusting the size of the handle (up or down) on her sword could improve the picture overall...

Regardless, she is using custom made weapons, forged in the underworld, on a Demon's forge... They may not look like normal weapons... ;)

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... okay, by saying this I'm dooming myself to it anyway, but not that I'm trying to sound like a know-it-all... I don't believe there is a prescribed length to handles so much as an average and a usual. Any sword made for an individual is made how the person wants it, etc. And this is where I'm going to sound idiotically nasally know-it-allish... a curved handle usually indicates a katana versus a ninja-to, and the ninja-to is not necessarily a prescribed "ninja" weapon in any case. Many ninja were formerly samurai/ronin, etc. and yada yada.. argh, I'm hating on myself now. :o

In essence, all weapons vary quite a bit by a lot of factors from preferences, smiths, type, etc. and there are way too many to get nit-picky about details in any case. If we wanted to do that, we could comment on the chain length and wieldability and all that crap too, but I think it looks sweet at that length and swirling around so I just don't care. :D

We could also argue the feasability of wearing a bikini into combat but I don't hear any of that... cuz we all know it looks hot, and we like our women scantily clad and more suited to... *ahem*... other activities than actually protecting themselves from anything. :thumbup:

Well I was going to draw the character Knockout next, but I got a request from a writer from another forum to draw a mood scene for a DC fan fiction site (who I help out from time to time), so I was penciling that one last night... The rock is kryptonite so it will be a green glow, the light through the door will be yellow light.

I have to ink and color this one pretty fast, so you will see this one finished this weekend as well as possibly another pencil sketch (if I get really motivated). Here is the pencil sketch prior to inking... It didn't scan well, because I was a little light on the 2H pencils (knowing I was going to be inking this by hand right away), so some of the pencils aren't showing. :( Sometimes you can never win...

Supergirl9.jpg

Inks as promised. Inks done with Pigma Brushes just to be different :)

I thought I would post the inks, so you could see what the black and white version would look like if I didn't color it...

Colors will be done soon...

Enjoy. :)

Supergirl9-inks.jpg

Great stuff Poison!

I especially like the Ultimate Supergirl cover. :thumbup:

I sure wished my line art was as clean as yours. Sometimes, I have to squint just to see the character I'm working in the mass of lines.

My secret is using a 2H pencil. It is hard and barely smudges when using smooth Bristol. When I want to smudge something, I pull out a B or HB. When I used to use a HB pencil I used to get lots of smudging, and it made me want to get more sloppy, heh heh.

Yeah Psybolt, I like working in B&W the best. When I color, I rarely spend a lot of time shading in the pencils or inks, unless it is a piece which is dark and has limited lighting...

In color...

I am starting to think it would have been better without the full costume pose. Sometimes simpler is better. Now that is done... I can go back to where I left off. heh heh.

Supergirl10-color.jpg

Every time I feel bad at first (because I know how sometimes people can get carried away with criticism), but I get a chuckle each time I read through this... It is mean, but tickles my funny bone...

http://progressiveboink.com/archive/robliefeld.html

If this guy can be a pro for Marvel and DC getting paid "pro" rates for his drawing working on popular comics, maybe it is possible for me to one day sell a drawing before I die... :eek:

That's a horrible injustice. Your stuff is way better than that crap in the link.

Thanks guys. I hope to be doing another drawing or two over the next few days. I am going to focus on a few player characters from the Hero Boards here, from the Rainbow's End campaign next.

Then we'll see where I go from there. :)

I joined the Heroes Artist Guild Community (here), and there is a weekly drawing challenge there, so I will be trying to submit to that each week as well. :)

That's a horrible injustice. Your stuff is way better than that crap in the link.

There's allot of cruddy art (in a technical sense, not just aesthetic) in the link but to be fair the author does go into some nitpicky and stuff about the characters/story he doesn't like a great deal too which is really a matter of opinion (and like allot of internet "criticism" the tone reads like Rob stole the guy's girlfriend back in high school...)

Overall though, I agree. The Lefeild was and is paid vs the great work here and in other talented amateur threads on this board is a something of a cruel joke.

I've just read through that link and two things are now horribly clear to me. Rob Liefield's artwork sucks, and he has no idea that it does.

Oh yes, a third thing: based on his continued success - no-one will ever tell him.

Those pix in the link were just horribly, horribly bad.

Poison - you're about a million times better than RL will ever be, so don't despair.

I will have a new picture to post tonight, the pencils are near completion... When I get home from work tonight I will finish the pencils. It will be a character played by bigbywolfe in the Rainbow's End campaign, in the Hero pbp system. His name is KNOCKOUT.

The pencils are turning out pretty good. I have a little more elaborate background than you are used to seeing from me (cause I am usually too lazy to draw them), so I am still fiddling with all the buildings... It is a night scene, so I have to figure out who is home, and has their lights on. heh heh.

Also, a friend of mine on the M&M forums (Shinobi), has agreed to color it for me (I hate coloring by the way), after I am done inking it (which I will be doing hopefully tonight as well or tomorrow night). I think he is excellent with cell shading, so I will share that with you as well when he is done.