in the spirit of christmas!

DrDestiny

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: in the spirit of christmas!

Something a little different.

I recently got a Wacom Tablet to play with, rather than my usual method of working - with a mouse, and this is the start of a piece. Still to be added - lots! ( his hair, his staff, the background, more painter-y detail, ect, ect)

Usually I choose to use flat colours for a variety of reasons, but have been feeling a little let-down by the results recently. Opinions and criticism welcome...

InProgress.jpg

Thanks for the comments - all criticism is really appreciated!

Moving on a bit, with more work done on the face, and some blocking done in the background and on the arm. Still a long way to go before I'm happy with how it's going I think. Opinions very welcome.

InProgress2.jpg

Third bit of progress. This is as far as I'm taking this one - it's been a very interesting process (at least for me) to soo just how the combination of the Tablet and the paint-y program work together, and hopefully, having learnt a lot doing this, the next will be better. What I think is needed is to treat the piece like a 'proper' paint on canvas piece - something I literally haven't done since art school, so that's what I'll do with the next pic.

Thanks for letting me indulge myself here on this :)

InProgress3.jpg

Here's a re-imagining of the Riddler, as requested and described by Mjolnir74.

Obviously, this is done in my new-fangled style, and I'm well aware you may not like it - if that's the case, shout out and I'll re-do him in my old style!

NewRiddler.jpg

Okay I don't normally critique, because people sometimes take it the wrong way (they take it personally like you are insulting them or something), but I think you are on the right track with this style, so I am going to give you some constructive criticism. So take it for what it is worth. I wouldn't waste my time offering criticism if I didn't think you were on the right track.

I like the painting style. At one time I thought about doing something similar, but with my current style of drawing, it just didn't look right. But with yours, it is the perfect style to use.

I think if you used a different brush shape the coloring would look better. With the brush you are using here, it looks a little messy. I am not sure what program you are using to color with, but Photoshop allows for custom brushes, and has many built in one to choose from. The style of brush you use can totally change how a painting looks. I know you are going for messy, but this looks like it is out of control messy, which distracts the viewer too much, in my opinion. I think this is mostly due to the brush shape you are using.

Also, I would try lowering the opacity a teeny bit on the higher level layers (highlighting). This will allow for some midlevel incidental tonal blending which will create the illusion of more depth/mass in the illustration.

Also two little nitpicky things:

1) the background is showing through the character's jacket, it makes his arm look thinner than it should be, and doesn't make him look solid enough (have mass) to me.

2) White. I think you should only use pure white on things that shine, or on metals for reflection. I don't think pure white has its place anywhere else in a painting. It works on the sunglasses (reflection), but it doesn't work on the jacket or the pants. I don't think you were intending to have reflections there, and thus it looks out of place.

Otherwise, I think you are headed totally in the right direction with this style.

Overall, I'm ambivalent on the new style, in comparison with the old. I think I like both of them about equally well. Keep them both.

But now I'm going to have to identify a Legacy Universe character for whom this style will work as well as the other one did for Olaf. :D