in the spirit of christmas!

DrDestiny

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: in the spirit of christmas!

Okay I don't normally critique, because people sometimes take it the wrong way (they take it personally like you are insulting them or something), but I think you are on the right track with this style, so I am going to give you some constructive criticism. So take it for what it is worth. I wouldn't waste my time offering criticism if I didn't think you were on the right track.

I like the painting style. At one time I thought about doing something similar, but with my current style of drawing, it just didn't look right. But with yours, it is the perfect style to use.

I think if you used a different brush shape the coloring would look better. With the brush you are using here, it looks a little messy. I am not sure what program you are using to color with, but Photoshop allows for custom brushes, and has many built in one to choose from. The style of brush you use can totally change how a painting looks. I know you are going for messy, but this looks like it is out of control messy, which distracts the viewer too much, in my opinion. I think this is mostly due to the brush shape you are using.

Also, I would try lowering the opacity a teeny bit on the higher level layers (highlighting). This will allow for some midlevel incidental tonal blending which will create the illusion of more depth/mass in the illustration.

Also two little nitpicky things:

1) the background is showing through the character's jacket, it makes his arm look thinner than it should be, and doesn't make him look solid enough (have mass) to me.

2) White. I think you should only use pure white on things that shine, or on metals for reflection. I don't think pure white has its place anywhere else in a painting. It works on the sunglasses (reflection), but it doesn't work on the jacket or the pants. I don't think you were intending to have reflections there, and thus it looks out of place.

Otherwise, I think you are headed totally in the right direction with this style.

Thanks for the feedback Poison, much appreciated.

I'm using ArtRage (a kind of Painter-clone) rather than Photoshop for the colouring, but Photoshop for the drawing, rather than Illustrator. Photoshop does indeed allow for many many custom brushes, but doesn't handle digital paint the way this program does, and you're right, I'm going for loose.

Since I started illustrating for myself again, I've struggled to break away from the suff I was doing for clients - very tight, very clean and I thought very dull. The wobbly-lined style I adopted with Illustrator and the mouse were a direct challenge to my earlier way of working.

What I'm trying for here - and not necessarily succeeding with - is a more direct painty style. I'm not using multiple layers, I'm keeping the "paint" wet and I'm trying to remember all my old painting classes, including building the tones from dark to light, and building skin-tones from a green (or blue) base.

I understand what you're saying about it being too messy though, and I may switch to a multi-layer approach to tighten it up a little. Or I may go more messy. I think it needs to develop either way :)

What is certainly the case is that I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with a new style!

I really appreciate the feedback - all crit is good - it forces you to re-look at what you've done through new eyes. I know I'll come back to this afresh tomorrow, and hopefully know where to go next!

Bob - let me know who you want doing! IU need guinea-pigs :D

Dude, you are totally on the right track for your style of drawing. I can't wait to see your new painting style evolve.

One other thing I thought of. If you like the real real messy look, sometimes throwing in MORE different colors in the mix, makes it work. Like subtle greens and yellows for the skin (or blues and purples, depending on whether you want a cold or hot looking drawing shadow wise), all smooshed in there...

Anyways, food for thought. I am glad you are doing this, and I am rooting for you. I am struggling with my own art at the moment, trying to figure out how to improve my style...

However, the piece I am working on right now, might be the missing link... Should be done colors tomorrow. Just finishing up pencils, then inking. I might post the pencils. I hesitate though, because people don't realize, that you draw things with a final outcome in mind in the coloring. So you tend to shade a lot less, because you plan to shade using the coloring...

Anyways, I am babbling. Good job Dr. D. Can't wait to see more.

:D

Next up is Tyler, for UncannyMadman. I think my problem with this style is time based. I'm unwilling to spend more than a few hours on a pic, as I'm fundamentaly lazy. Whereas my usual wobbly-line / flat colour style is OK with that time frame, I don't think this is. I think I need to spend a day at least on a pic to see if this style's worth pursuing.

Tyler.jpg

I spent more time on the inks for this fella, including liberal use of the airbrish in Photoshop to sort of cheat in some of the darker tonal areas on the face. The rest of it's all done in ArtRage, with a couple of custom stencils used as I've just noticed them...

DocDestiny.jpg

Next up is Tyler, for UncannyMadman. I think my problem with this style is time based. I'm unwilling to spend more than a few hours on a pic, as I'm fundamentaly lazy. Whereas my usual wobbly-line / flat colour style is OK with that time frame, I don't think this is. I think I need to spend a day at least on a pic to see if this style's worth pursuing.

Is he swimming or is he drowning? I can't really tell.:confused:

Is he swimming or is he drowning? I can't really tell.:confused:

Well, from the player:

What I like most is the coloring is dark and somehat creepy and he almost looks in distress which is actually fitting 'cos he hates being underwater hehe!

in our RP where Tyler's mind is actually lost floating amidst the sea of death that is the mind of the Water Demon that was bonded to him. If our RP were a comic, this pic would so be the cover of the current "issue"!

Really, I just colour-in what's in front of me - most of the time, the credit for any good bits should go to the character's creator :)