in the spirit of christmas!

DrDestiny

Re: in the spirit of christmas!

Hiya Dr. D. Death Tribble and I have been kicking around ideas for some characters based on dark/twisted versions of the Alice in Wonderland characters. Care to try any of these in your Christmas spirit? In my campaign, Wonderland is a real dimension accessible through various means from ours. Lewis Caroll's writings described a real place, but he couldn't write the full truth without being locked up in a loony bin, so his writings were dumbed down and edited into the childrens' tales most of us are familiar with. The truth is far creepier!

Alice - The adult version of the young Alice that tumbled down the rabbit hole. She faced some very scary creatures in Wonderland, and almost lost her head. These childhood traumas have hardened her and made her into a modern Martial Artist/Monster Hunter type (a la Buffy).

Tweedledee and Tweedledum - This brick pair can drain peoples very intelligence merely by uttering a few warped and twisted phrases/riddles. Both are idiots themselves, and can be easily duped. Prone to combating one another as much as fighting their foes. Pathological fear of crows.

The White Rabbit - This speedster is always in a rush to go somewhere, but is often easily confused. Also possesses ability to shrink to a mere fraction of his original size.

The Caterpillar - A bizarre oracle like being, capable of inducing incredible shrinking and growth size changes in others using his mushrooms. Perhaps has some gas based NND attacks from his hookah.

The March Hare - A madcap serial rapist villain. Despicable to the core and loony beyond compare. (Why a rapist? It comes from the roots of the phrase "Mad as a March hare").

The White Knight - A gadgeteer hero. Appears as an elderly man in archaic styled armor but with a bag full of steam-punk gadgets.

The Mad Hatter - It's just not a party without this insane criminal genius. A mentalist capable of projecting maddening illusions and causing vertigo like effects. Obsessed with time and time themed villains and heroes.

The Mock Turtle - A bull-headed armored hero (Oh wait! Some one already suggested an armored mecha-like cow, right? ).

The Duchess - A female brick of noble birth but with repugnant features who suffers from a multiple personality disorder causing her to alternate between kindly gestures and vicious, brutish attacks.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got one for you if you are still up for it.

Minerva: Fantasy Bard/Dominatrix

She has a fair complexion with long curly red hair. Her eyes are blue. Her lips are full. She is both athletic and voluptuous. She wears revealing black studded leather armor in the fantasy vein, of course. Her main weapon is a whip and her backup is a rapier. She is about as attractive as human females come and has a mischievous demeanor. She stands about 5' 10". Take your time and have fun with it.

Great art! I love it & since you're offering I've got a character named Gunnodoyak. Who's an Iroquois Brick based a lot on Wonderman. He's 6'2" tall, 250+ lbs long black hair & glowing red eyes. Physically he's built like Colossus, not Hulk big but big. His costume is based on The Mounties, red coat & black pants. He also has a pair of jet packs on his belt. I look forward to see what you come up with.

Great art! I love it & since you're offering I've got a character named Gunnodoyak. Who's an Iroquois Brick based a lot on Wonderman. He's 6'2" tall' date=' 250+ lbs long black hair & glowing red eyes. Physically he's built like Colossus, not Hulk big but big. His costume is based on The Mounties, red coat & black pants. He also has a pair of jet packs on his belt. I look forward to see what you come up with.[/quote']

Sounds exactly like that George Pérez Wonder Man incarnation to me.

Dear DrDestiny (may I call you DrDee?):

I've been admiring your posted work, particularly the Sapphic Neko and Professor Madison Square. There's a captivating quality of personality (individuality, non-generic-ness...realism?) and movement in your pics, and especially in those two. They look ready to step out of the screen.

I'm coming to this thread rather late, but please DrDee, may I have a Christmas present too?

My character's name is Elegy....

Elegy is a humanlike alien, who grew up alone on a dim and temperate graveyard world called Shanghalla, surrounded by the graves and monuments of great heroes of many races. Some of the heroes were laid to rest in "burial ships", small spacecraft that carried the dead to Shanghalla from other worlds...and some of the burial ships had computers, Artificial Intelligences, that were still working.

Elegy grew up talking to the ancient AIs and learned many odd and out-dated skills from them...but she does not know her own race or how she came to Shangalla. She has no memory of family, friends or any place other than Shanghalla. Even her name -- Elegy -- is simply the word for a poem of mourning and memorial, applied to her by Voyager, a Daxamite AI with a artistic bent.

Elegy has violet eyes with large pupils, and very long, flowing lilac hair. Her teeth are small and pointed, like a ferret's teeth...for like a ferret, she's an obligate carnivore. She eats mostly the small mammals and fish that also live on cool and shady Shanghalla.

And though Elegy is human-like, she is NOT a human.

Her skin is the dark, dark indigo of a 'clear purple' icicle pansy, and velvety as a pansy's petals (not glossy). She has eyelashes, but instead of "normal" eyebrows, she has a small cluster of long, fine whiskers above each eye. These look just like the whiskers -- or vibrissae -- above a house cat's eyes, and they work the same way.

Elegy is less than five feet tall (less than 1.5m), but she is so slender and long-limbed that she seems much taller. (Her very long hair also accentuates the effect.) Her build -- slim, long-limbed, almost attenuated -- makes her amazingly flexible. Elegy's arms and legs rotate at the joints, rather than bending, which increases her range of motion but also makes her limbs relatively weak (compared to those of a human).

She has long fingers, six on each hand (or four fingers and two thumbs, if you don't count thumbs as "fingers"). Her two longest fingers are in the middle of her hand, with a shorter finger on each side, and then an opposable thumb on each side of that. All her fingers end in short blunt-ish claws, like a dog's claws.

(In D&D 3/3.5 terms, think of Elegy as having DEX 18+, a STR 7 and SPD 50ft. In HERO/Champions terms, DEX 24, STR 6 and SPD 6. Does that help?)

Elegy looks like an adult, not a child...but no-one could tell from her appearance exactly how old she is.

Elegy's personality is quite strange. She is clever and intuitive, and growing up alone on a funeral world, she reasoned that she must be dead too...a kind of "Moving Dead" guardian set to protect the "Moveless Dead" in their graves, vaults and funeral ships. And as the graveyard guardian, she has access to all the goods and offerings buried with the dead, to use as she needs.

As a result, Elegy dresses in bizarre and fantastic scraps of alien jewelry and funeral attire, scavenged from the funeral ships and patched together into a clothing of a sort.

Oh, and she's a teleporter, but doesn't know that that's what she's doing. She thinks "departing" and "arriving" is something all the Living (and presumably, all the Moving Dead) can do.

This is just general background description with a few physical details. Please treat it as a guideline, and not as a list of commandments! Interpret the descriptive stuff however you like; there's no 'wrong' way of depicting Elegy. I've had four different artists create pics of her, and every one of them has been different.... ;-)

next up' date=' [b']Outsider[/b]! Happy Christmas!

This one is marvellous! I don't know how you managed "subtle horror" with a pic of a Cthulhoid nasty, but manage it you did.

This is a work of understated menace, restrained and elegantly balanced, from the lines and angles of the upper body to the curling organic detail of his hands and tentacles...and the blackness below to generate depth.

There are also a number of clever details of colour and form that increase the viewer's feeling of unease. The eye is particularly drawn to those clean, neat and very bright human hands silhouetted against the black...and the sudden splashes of green (along with the slice of white at the cuff) are visually almost shocking.

The combination of effects is very well done, and creates a wonderfully realised work of suggestive terror. I love it.

*grin* And are you really surprised that the folk of this Board have all decided they want a piece of your art? Your work is *very* appealing, Dr. Dee.

This one is marvellous! I don't know how you managed "subtle horror" with a pic of a Cthulhoid nasty, but manage it you did.

This is a work of understated menace, restrained and elegantly balanced, from the lines and angles of the upper body to the curling organic detail of his hands and tentacles...and the blackness below to generate depth.

There are also a number of clever details of colour and form that increase the viewer's feeling of unease. The eye is particularly drawn to those clean, neat and very bright human hands silhouetted against the black...and the sudden splashes of green (along with the slice of white at the cuff) are visually almost shocking.

The combination of effects is very well done, and creates a wonderfully realised work of suggestive terror. I love it.

*grin* And are you really surprised that the folk of this Board have all decided they want a piece of your art? Your work is *very* appealing, Dr. Dee.

very nice of you to say so Haven, thanks

i posted a similar thread on another board too, and to be honest, after doing the NaNoDraMo (draw 50 pics in a month) event, where i called for people to give me their characters to draw and only got 30 or so replies, i thought that i'd get a similar ammount this time. shows how much i know :help: