Heart Shot

Doctor Agenda

Re: Heart Shot

Isn't that like calling a throat shot a head shot and a finger shot a hand shot? I'm looking for an additional hit location, like DC has for Finger, Eye, Knee/Elbow, Spine, and Neck/Throat. Everything PG-rated a boy could want except the heart. I guess I'll make the OCV penalty the same as for Neck/Throat (-9) and the effects same as Vitals. After all, the -8 OCV assumes any old vital spot will do, the heart is more specific. I was hoping the topic had come up before with some kind of consensus, but thanks for helping me think it through.

More seriously, I'm aware of one instance where a police officer shot a charging perp through the heart and the perp successfully tackled him and killed him by slamming his head into the curb several times before dying himself. While a heart shot does generally kill nearly instantly, with enough adrenaline and oxygen in the blood stream a person can (in rare cases) continue to function for a few seconds.

The effects of bullets in real life vary wildly as previous posters have alluded to. I have read accounts of people surviving long enough to fight back from multiple chest shots and even heart shots. I have also read accounts of people rapidly dying from shock due to an otherwise seemingly trivial wound from a low caliber bullet.

Snipers sometimes target what they call the "apricot", the junction of the brain and brain stem, (about an apricot's size). That seems to be the only way to ensure an instant kill. It would be a -9 to hit in Hero.

More seriously' date=' I'm aware of one instance where a police officer shot a charging perp through the heart and the perp successfully tackled him and killed him by slamming his head into the curb several times before dying himself. While a heart shot does generally kill nearly instantly, with enough adrenaline and oxygen in the blood stream a person can (in rare cases) continue to function for a few seconds.[/quote']

Clearly he was not a vampire. :doi:

Traditionally speaking' date=' yeah. The "aggravated damage" reference was to white wolf, whose idiot writers have silver killing most things.[/quote']

Not generally Vampires pretty much only shapeshifters although there was likely a way for the player to opt to have his character affected by silver (Essentially taking a vulnerability for additional points)

Not generally Vampires pretty much only shapeshifters although there was likely a way for the player to opt to have his character affected by silver (Essentially taking a vulnerability for additional points)

I won't quibble minutia of a game I can't stand and haven't looked at in almost a decade with you. Thanks for the correction. :thumbup:

Wood, silver....

Oh dear, I'm having a flashback to Love At First Bite. :shock: :shock:

Well, yeah.

Although IIRC one of the Serbian vampire myths includes breaking up silver crucifixes and firing them from a shotgun. Probably more a crucifix thing than a silver thing though.

And of course metals that are percieved as Pure, generally silver and gold, are often a goto place for folklore. The thing that is unpure must shun/fear/be hurt by that which is pure.

As to targeting the heart in Hero I'd probably call it a -8 penalty for location but only use the Chest modifiers for damage. It's not really more vulnerable than the area around it, it's just that in some instances there's more of an advantage to putting a stake through the heart than the lung.

Well, yeah.

Although IIRC one of the Serbian vampire myths includes breaking up silver crucifixes and firing them from a shotgun. Probably more a crucifix thing than a silver thing though.

I had not heard of that. One place I have heard about the right way to deal with vampires can be found at http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/37/whats-the-best-way-to-kill-a-vampire

That, though, is more "how to kill them off permanently" than "how to hurt them in a battle".

As to targeting the heart in Hero I'd probably call it a -8 penalty for location but only use the Chest modifiers for damage. It's not really more vulnerable than the area around it, it's just that in some instances there's more of an advantage to putting a stake through the heart than the lung.

Indeed, putting a stake through a vampire's lung is likely to do no more than give her pneumonia. :snicker:

The entire notion of silver being used to kill various supernatural creatures emerged from the notion of silver bullets, which is a firearms era myth. In another thread I posted some information on the properties of silver and why it cannot be forged with iron without exotic, modern techniques that still only produce highly substandard material in terms of tensile strength, thus making it an abysmal choice for melee weapons. Even coating metal with silver isn't simple. This is why, if you dig into the myths, you don't see references to silver before the emergence of firearms.