Horror Hero: Handling SANity

bcholmes

Re: Horror Hero: Handling SANity

The problem is, at least IME, that sometimes players -say- they're enthusiastic about being a horror game, act psyched for it, listen to the discussions about mood and the themes and all the boiler plate. But it doesn't quite work out when the rubber hits the road. I don't make anyone play in games they don't want to play in but I am also not psychic. I've had a couple of groups (and a few more players) that were genuinely excited about playing in a "True Horror" setting. Others were expecting something more along the lines of The Hunter: The Reckoning video game or D and D in a modern setting. Perfectly fine game but not what was proposed or discussed and it would have worked better for all involved if they'd been more forthcoming from the get go. It would have saved everyone some time and effort and myself some frustration.

Pretty much my experience as well, though not specifically 'horror' for the running part. But I have had the opportunity to play in a great game once for about 3 sessions (CoC and I moved). But since then most people I have met really don't know 'horror'. It is a slasher or zombie flick to them. And the number of people willing to actually read a book to set atmosphere is zilch. The GM in the game that was great gave us a listing (which he owned and loaned) of books and short stories that 'set the mood' he was aiming for. It also helped people not familiar with 'mythos horror' understand the concept of what he was trying to run.

I personally haven't tried running 'horror' in a long time. I prefer Pulp, Supers or Raygun & Rocket. But I'd like to play in one......

I understand you folks that complain about players that don't "get it."

Cause I'm one of them. I want to play in a horror seting where the PCs get used to it.

First time:

:shock: ACKKK! :shock:

Second and third times:

:eek: EEK! :eek:

Fourth, fifth sixth times:

:fear: Oh no! More of them! :fear:

Sevth time onwards:

OK, it's bad, but we can handle this. Don't get cocky. :thumbup:

But that's not what most GMS like horror want. So it goes...

The number of encounters are on the low end but I don't mind if PCs get "used to it" it's when they start out blase about where it doesn't click.

like this example for a zombie horror game I participated in.

First day of the outbreak, no one has encountered a zombie or even knows there's a problem yet.

GM: Your daughter stumbles into the living room. She looks very unsteady, like she's dizzy or ill.

PC (normal housewife): She'll go see what's wrong, cautiously.

GM: When you get close, she lifts her head and snarls at you, baring teeth caked with dried blood and bits of some kind of meat. The front of her formerly pink dress is clotted and nearly black with gore and half torn off at the shoulder, the underlying flesh just as tattered as her dress but not bleeding. She reaches out for you; her eyes black lifeless marbles, totally empty, no love, no recognition not even pain just a horrible feral hunger...

PC: "Crap!" Okay, I step back to kitchen, looking for a handy weapon, a kitchen knife or if nothing else pick up a chair and try to bash her head in.

I understand you folks that complain about players that don't "get it."

Cause I'm one of them. I want to play in a horror seting where the PCs get used to it.

First time:

:shock: ACKKK! :shock:

Second and third times:

:eek: EEK! :eek:

Fourth, fifth sixth times:

:fear: Oh no! More of them! :fear:

Sevth time onwards:

OK, it's bad, but we can handle this. Don't get cocky. :thumbup:

Call of Cthulhu has a standard mechanic for this - if you see a creature n amount of times, from then on you suffer the minimum sanity loss.

Where n=maximum loss of sanity you could get.

ie (if I remember correctly) - Deep ones are 0/1d6.

Meaning if you succeed on your sanity check, you lose 0 sanity, but if you fail, you lose D6.

If you see 6 Deep Ones (not at the same time, but 6 separate encounters), from then on you would lose no sanity from seeing a deep one.

Mind you, this means that you need to encounter Cthulhu 100 times and from then on you only lose D20 sanity.